• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

One thing to consider is if we go back to a younger, enthusiastic, modern tactics type manager like a Potter, Parker etc. there might be a lot of negativity/come down from some of the squad. I mean it could go either way of course. They could fell refreshed with the new tactics and ideas, but with a lot of our high profile players like Kane, Son, Lloris etc being quite older and experienced there might be a bit of the 'I played under Poch, Jose and now we have this inexperienced guy trying to change everything' attitude, especially if there isn't any immediate impact.

All guess work of course, and you can't guarantee success either by going for another experienced manager with a high reputation.

If they've got that attitude, they need moving on. I think that there aren't too many trouble makers in our squad though.

One thing to consider is if we go back to a younger, enthusiastic, modern tactics type manager like a Potter, Parker etc. there might be a lot of negativity/come down from some of the squad. I mean it could go either way of course. They could fell refreshed with the new tactics and ideas, but with a lot of our high profile players like Kane, Son, Lloris etc being quite older and experienced there might be a bit of the 'I played under Poch, Jose and now we have this inexperienced guy trying to change everything' attitude, especially if there isn't any immediate impact.

All guess work of course, and you can't guarantee success either by going for another experienced manager with a high reputation.
I thought of this as a risk, hopefully mitigated a little by Mourinho’s impact IF the training, tactics and treatment has not been enjoyed. Ideally Kane will be fine and set the example, not sure we have too many bad eggs but the new man must be given the early support to weed out any conflicts early on (Like Poch did?)

If they've got that attitude, they need moving on. I think that there aren't too many trouble makers in our squad though.

Doesn't have to be a serious attitude issue though, just feeling a bit deflated from playing regularly in Europe and big games to being out of Europe (probably) and having a coach that no one outside of the UK had heard of. Yes obviously they should all be true professionals etc. but it could happen. If a Parker came in lost a couple early games, you know fans would be calling it a bad decision

I thought of this as a risk, hopefully mitigated a little by Mourinho’s impact IF the training, tactics and treatment has not been enjoyed. Ideally Kane will be fine and set the example, not sure we have too many bad eggs but the new man must be given the early support to weed out any conflicts early on (Like Poch did?)

Exactly, We could hope that maybe a Potter for example starts training the squad with some new exciting attacking ideas etc and the whole squad buys in immediately

It is, though I'd argue that Potter's is better. Achieved a lot over successive seasons in Sweden, then massively overachieved with Swansea and has done with Brighton as well

Santo has done well as you say, but I'd place him a little behind Potter, but ahead of Parker, Hassenhuttl etc

Hassenhuttl is out of the running/never in the running I'd say - the fall has been quite dramatic at Saints and he looked like a wally crying on the sidelines v Liverpool. Gets a lot of stick from my Saints supporting mates on FB.

@Bedfordspurs and a few others really have turned me super pro Potter of late - feel like when i started reading about the pros of Poch when he started to become clear favourite for the job (was more for De Boer at that time) i think he's my first choice. I really hope he's not dismissed because we're looking at big name reputation, Redknapp & Poch both impressed further down the ladder and ended up doing well with us - (though bothwidely different from one another in approachtbf)

Hassenhuttl is out of the running/never in the running I'd say - the fall has been quite dramatic at Saints and he looked like a wally crying on the sidelines v Liverpool. Gets a lot of stick from my Saints supporting mates on FB.

@Bedfordspurs and a few others really have turned me super pro Potter of late - i think he's my first choice. I really hope he's not dismissed because we're looking at b8g name reputation

What was the downside to Potter? Didn't Chich have some views on why he might not be a good option?

What was the downside to Potter? Didn't Chich have some views on why he might not be a good option?
Chich knows a player there indirectly (Jahanbakhsh I think)
He also knows more of their fans with it being his “hood”
But I do think that comes with a natural bias

I do wonder how much manager profile will be a consideration for Levy and whether Potter gets disregarded on this basis.

Yes, I agree. The question is who fits in the gap between (i) managers in his md/late 50s who has managed CL teams and often par of the revolving door group, like Jose, Sarri etc and (ii) the younger up and coming group like Potter, NES.

Nagelsmann is young like the second group but managed teams higher in the league that Brighton, Wolves etc. I cant think off the top of my head of many others (the Borussia M guy is off to Dortmund). Allegri is still in his 40s but an Italian team will poach him rapidly if he even has 1-2 decent seasons

Another way of looking at this is that Poch was in my group (ii) above before he came to Spurs however, to your point, does Levy think we're beyond that class of manager now

Someone mentioned Nagelsmann hasn't actually improved Leipzigs position from where their previous manager had them - is his reputation a little over inflated?

Someone mentioned Nagelsmann hasn't actually improved Leipzigs position from where their previous manager had them - is his reputation a little over inflated?

Nagelsmann was appointed in 19/20, so is only in his second season. They've finished 3rd last year and sit 2nd now. The seasons before that they finished 2nd, 6th and 3rd.

Nagelsmann was appointed in 19/20, so is only in his second season. They've finished 3rd last year and sit 2nd now. The seasons before that they finished 2nd, 6th and 3rd.

He did three full seasons at Hoffenheim finishing 4th, 3rd and 9th. Their record before that was 11th, 11th, 16th, 9th, 8th and 15th. Taking them into the Champions League for the first time in their history. His European record with Leipzig is good too.

Doesn't have to be a serious attitude issue though, just feeling a bit deflated from playing regularly in Europe and big games to being out of Europe (probably) and having a coach that no one outside of the UK had heard of. Yes obviously they should all be true professionals etc. but it could happen. If a Parker came in lost a couple early games, you know fans would be calling it a bad decision

If an incoming manager cannot deal with that and get the players on side, they are probably not the right person for the job. A lower profile manager would have an impact on the players that we might be able to attract this summer. Whether we like it or not, Mourinho is still a name and that will be attractive to some players. Potter would have to earn that and it would take a season or two.

I cant think off the top of my head of many others (the Borussia M guy is off to Dortmund).

I like what Rose has done at Gladbach (up until his move to Dortmund was announced and their form fell away). I will be really interested to see how he does next season.

Back