• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

So what other logical explanation is there? I just can't find one?

I'm eager to see if anyone can answer this: is there any other logical explanation for getting rid of Jose less than a week before the cup final than lower compensation?
And before anyone mentions toxicity, remember that Jose had been 'toxic' for a while, e.g. the 'same coach, different players' comments or the horrendous collapse vs Arsenal and Zagreb...

I'm eager to see if anyone can answer this: is there any other logical explanation for getting rid of Jose less than a week before the cup final than lower compensation?
And before anyone mentions toxicity, remember that Jose had been 'toxic' for a while, e.g. the 'same coach, different players' comments or the horrendous collapse vs Arsenal and Zagreb...

So difficult to say, we are not privy to what's happening behind the scenes. I think it's a combination of many reasons that led to Levy pushing him over the edge (and personally I believe he should have been sacked weeks earlier). One option, which fits your narrative, is that Levy was made aware of Roma's interest, and that he realized that he would not have to pay the full compensation fee because Jose would be in a new job soon enough (unlike when Man U sacked him). If there was such a clause in his contract that is.

Some kind of breakdown in relations with players or levy or a combination of that and lower contract termination clauses.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

So Levy's reputation is more important to him than the club winning a trophy? I wonder what the decision would've been had winning the League Cup been worth £30m?

The businesses reputation.

Burying bad news is a thing, not sure why you're pushing back on this.

Idk what you're getting at with the 30m line?

Your argument seemed to be that you didn’t think we spoke to Poch / Conte solely for a PR push. Neither was mine. I too think we spoke to them seriously, and was happy we did so. Right decision. But I question the briefing from the club that we were close, that Poch wanted to leave PSG, and that Conte was a front runner with talks progressing well. The difference between speaking to them and having it appear like we were super close is the issue.

Seems like the idea of the club caring about PR is outrageous on one side of it, but not on the other? Either they do or they don’t. If they are liable to make a football decision to bury bad news, they are certainly liable to pump stories to the media to boost engagement.

If your position is that we spoke to them and were genuinely targetting them then I'm not sure what we were disagreeing over the other day as i was only objecting to the idea that we spoke to them for PR purposes.

I said before. The rumour was that mourinho and levy had a bust up. Mourinho wanted to play a weakened side against southampton. So we could play a fresh team against city. Levy thought we still had a chance for top 4 so wanted a strong team against southampton. Mourinho told levy that's why spurs don't win trophies.

Players within the #thfc squad had reservations over the club potentially appointing Antonio Conte. Those players were informed about how extreme and demanding his methods were.

We could be the first club to forgo having a manager completely and just let the players do what they want. Niche.

Several have been doing that since the last months of Pochs time here.

I said before. The rumour was that mourinho and levy had a bust up. Mourinho wanted to play a weakened side against southampton. So we could play a fresh team against city. Levy thought we still had a chance for top 4 so wanted a strong team against southampton. Mourinho told levy that's why spurs don't win trophies.
And (as always) Levy thinks he knows more than the actual experts do so does things his way?

I think there's only one reason why Mourinho was sacked then. Because he'd completely lost the dressing room and we were going to be hammered in the final. By rolling the dice we at least gave ourselves an outside chance.

The big mistake was doing it in April and not January. That delay cost us potentially Tuchels and probably CL.

I think there's only one reason why Mourinho was sacked then. Because he'd completely lost the dressing room and we were going to be hammered in the final. By rolling the dice we at least gave ourselves an outside chance.

The big mistake was doing it in April and not January. That delay cost us potentially Tuchels and probably CL.

Apart from at the very least (and on record )2 of the best performing players this season. That's hardly losing the dressing room.

Apart from at the very least (and on record )2 of the best performing players this season. That's hardly losing the dressing room.

He had fallen out with large chunks of it. I think that relations with the squad is the most likely reason for the timing of his sacking.

I don't think his sacking had any impact on the outcome of the league cup final. We'd had far worse performances this season under Mourinho than we put in that day.

Look at the latest thing the Tottenham comms department are starting to leak to club journos over the Conte farce:

"Players within the Tottenham squad had reservations over the club potentially appointing Antonio Conte. Those players were informed about how extreme and demanding his methods were."

Maybe the have learned something from Mourinho. If all else fails, blame the players.

"Players within the Tottenham squad had reservations over the club potentially appointing Antonio Conte. Those players were informed about how extreme and demanding his methods were."

Maybe the have learned something from Mourinho. If all else fails, blame the players.

Has to be journalistic rubbish. Or Chinese whispers. Most of these players worked under Poch's brutal fitness regiem. Son had to do keepy upies all day long as a kid. Kane loves extra training etc. Levy would have loved the sound of this - I certainly do. Who doesn't want demanding, including players?

When we didn't do it in January then we shouldn't have done it a few days before the League Cup final. Whether it was reduced compensation or the chairman removing the manager who wanted to rest players in order to give us the best possible chance to win a trophy it shows that money trumps trophies for our chairman.

If your position is that we spoke to them and were genuinely targetting them then I'm not sure what we were disagreeing over the other day as i was only objecting to the idea that we spoke to them for PR purposes.

My position very obviously wasn't that. It was that we pumped stories to trusted journalists to make us seem more ambitious than we are / that these deals were further along / more serious than they actually were, because I believe the club will absolutely use the media to fuel narratives they believe will be of benefit to them. You and others seem to be saying that was absolutely not what they would do.

To be clear, as I said repeatedly: 'speaking' to Poch and Conte would have been a good idea. That's a world of difference from 2 of the best managers in the world supposedly being close to signing and I think it completely fits a pattern of ENIC and the media. Something you seem to be perfectly willing to concede - they are just as likely to care about PR as any other club.

I actually agree with @Gutter Boy re dressing room.

Kane did support Jose, doesn't mean he wouldn't have seen it wasn't working ..
I suspect that it was the sacking of Jose just before a Cup final that made Kane's mind up that he would have to seek to leave Spurs in order to give himself an adequate chance of winning trophies.

I suspect that it was the sacking of Jose just before a Cup final that made Kane's mind up that he would have to seek to leave Spurs in order to give himself an adequate chance of winning trophies.

Well, depends on who you believe, there are several reports that claim Kane told Spurs last summer he wanted to move on.

He had fallen out with large chunks of it. I think that relations with the squad is the most likely reason for the timing of his sacking.

I don't think his sacking had any impact on the outcome of the league cup final. We'd had far worse performances this season under Mourinho than we put in that day.

I think there was enough of a core of players that would have played for Jose given that it was a cup final.

Hugo, Kane, Son, PEH, Reguillon, Dier, Lucas, Aurier. There's enough players there that seemed to be still pretty warm to him that started the game. I'm leaving out Toby but he was one of the ones so delighted that Jose joined that he signed a new contract. GLC I'm leaving out because I don't know if he'd be viewed as Jose in / out, just as likely either way. The only other player is Winks, who I can imagine is firmly Jose out.

Sacking a manager before a cup final because Winks didn't like him would be ridiculous.

I agree with FInney. I don't think 'toxicity' as the reason. I think it was financial. I think Levy calculated if we won, it would have been a punchers chance and we were just as likely to have that chance under Mason, but would save a few million. 'Time will tell whether it was the right decision', given it sent a message to players like Kane that we aren't serious about winning, and given that Jose was a trophies now manager and had actually gotten us to the final, so maybe Levy's assessment on our chances was wrong.

Back