• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

If Conte is not happy with RMs spending, what chance have we got!?

I think Conte is attracted to us, and vice versa. Question is whether both sides can accommodate the confines. We can't print money. Conte has to go in eyes open on what is possible now. I suspect he has the package, has the information, now it is up to him to greenlight it, or take some time off and relax.

There's a difference between backing a manager and buying players though isn't there.

What is the difference? Do you have any evidence that these weren't players mourinho wanted? Or are you just assuming they weren't?

It seems we are brining in a dof who has worked with conte before (which is what everyone wanted right?). So any players brought in, you wont be able to blame levy for.

The role of 'elite' managers is well over hyped. How many league titles and European trophies would Guardiola have if he managed Burnley? None of these fakes do the hard yards in lowly clubs. For them, it's Barca, Madrid, Emirates Marketing Project or nothing. I wouldn't wast money on them. Get Howe in or that fella from Brighton.

I suspect he is asking for assurances that will help him be successful. When you look to appoint someone they are perfectly entitled to wonder and ask why the last few Managers failed - Poch and Jose in this example. Conte is a professional and has a successful track record - if he is to come to Spurs he needs to know if the set up will allow him every chance to succeed otherwise he will end up being sacked in 18 months time and then has a blot on the CV.

So if this doesn't happen it is likely to be that Conte turned us down and we can then surmise that Levy would not support what he wanted. That won't be simply about transfer money - it will be about getting a Rodon rather than a Skriniar and Levy saying to the Manager "Haven't I done well - make the young lad a star so we could get a very good return on him if we sell later". As I have said before, Levy is far too heavily involved in the day to day management of the club.

The worst position for any Manager in any industry is to end up with responsibility without authority and Levy simply won't let go of footballing matters to the Manager.

But it may also be about Levy stating that he needs to sell players to get funds for incomings and Conte saying he wants them out very quickly BUT wants Levy to commit to buy before sales are made - with the expectation that the money from sales comes in over time and a device like bridging loans are used in the meantime. Levy's MO is to make sure he has the sale in the bag before committing those funds and that means transfers are very slow and Conte will be frustrated by that and the team suffers - as do we, the poor supporters.

Anyway don't bad mouth Conte if he doesn't come - it will be that he has decided he would just be the next cab on the rank to be sacked and blamed in 18th months time...

AND BTW - what Club in its right mind sacks a Manager four days before a Cup Final? Clearly Levy was avoiding the risk of having to pay Jose some bonus money if we were to win the thing...

So if Conte says no, where will Levy go next? Ten Haag I guess? or Potter?

Getting pretty darn urgent. And the longer we take, the more any club will fight their manager leaving giving the disruption it will cause them

This isnt to say that Levy was wrong firing Jose, nor that he was wrong to make a considered appointment rather than rush into the wrong person, but its just an extremely uncomfortable position to be in given we lack a DoF and have a lot to do this summer

What is the difference? Do you have any evidence that these weren't players mourinho wanted? Or are you just assuming they weren't?

It seems we are brining in a dof who has worked with conte before (which is what everyone wanted right?). So any players brought in, you wont be able to blame levy for.

Do you have evidence they were?

Didn't we back mourinho? Seem to remember bringing in players the last 2 summers.

It is pretty obvious he asked for defenders and he got Rodon. I have seen quotes by the players and agents that we were after Stones and Rudgier. Mourinho and neither player are to my tastes but if you get a defensive coach on massive wages in that has won everything the is to win then you bring in top level defenders.

We did not back Mourinho.

I suspect he is asking for assurances that will help him be successful. When you look to appoint someone they are perfectly entitled to wonder and ask why the last few Managers failed - Poch and Jose in this example. Conte is a professional and has a successful track record - if he is to come to Spurs he needs to know if the set up will allow him every chance to succeed otherwise he will end up being sacked in 18 months time and then has a blot on the CV.

So if this doesn't happen it is likely to be that Conte turned us down and we can then surmise that Levy would not support what he wanted. That won't be simply about transfer money - it will be about getting a Rodon rather than a Skriniar and Levy saying to the Manager "Haven't I done well - make the young lad a star so we could get a very good return on him if we sell later". As I have said before, Levy is far too heavily involved in the day to day management of the club.

The worst position for any Manager in any industry is to end up with responsibility without authority and Levy simply won't let go of footballing matters to the Manager.

But it may also be about Levy stating that he needs to sell players to get funds for incomings and Conte saying he wants them out very quickly BUT wants Levy to commit to buy before sales are made - with the expectation that the money from sales comes in over time and a device like bridging loans are used in the meantime. Levy's MO is to make sure he has the sale in the bag before committing those funds and that means transfers are very slow and Conte will be frustrated by that and the team suffers - as do we, the poor supporters.

Anyway don't bad mouth Conte if he doesn't come - it will be that he has decided he would just be the next cab on the rank to be sacked and blamed in 18th months time...

AND BTW - what Club in its right mind sacks a Manager four days before a Cup Final? Clearly Levy was avoiding the risk of having to pay Jose some bonus money if we were to win the thing...

Lot of assumptions there. Looks like we're in talks with paratici, so levy will be less involved with football matters.

As for mourinho allegedly he was sacked because he had an argument with levy. Mourinho wanted to play a weakened side against southampton to field a fresh team against city. Levy thought we still had a chance of getting top 4 so told mourinho to put out a full strength side. Mourinho said that's why spurs don't win trophies. For mourinho trophies are more important, for levy top 4 is. Both had valid points from their perspectives.

There is a difference between just getting players in and getting the players the manager wanted. It was widely acknowledged that Mourinho didn’t want Bale and was pushed on him by Levy, how Mourinho used him would support that. There was photos of Hitchen meeting Inter reps regarding trying to get Skrinar(probably spelt that wrong!) an established CB and instead we end up with Rodon who again wasn’t used much. It seemed pretty clear he wanted Dele sold (didn’t want that to happen) and if you are backing the manager you would sell that player and allow him to have the funds to get in players he wants....

It is pretty obvious he asked for defenders and he got Rodon. I have seen quotes by the players and agents that we were after Stones and Rudgier. Mourinho and neither player are to my tastes but if you get a defensive coach on massive wages in that has won everything the is to win then you bring in top level defenders.

We had a lot of positions that needed strengthening - if he had got his 40-65m defender at the expense of other positions then that'd be the new excuse.

Iirc he spoke about being happy with the backing he got at the time, which is in contrast to how he spoke of his backing at United

Lot of assumptions there. Looks like we're in talks with paratici, so levy will be less involved with football matters.

As for mourinho allegedly he was sacked because he had an argument with levy. Mourinho wanted to play a weakened side against southampton to field a fresh team against city. Levy thought we still had a chance of getting top 4 so told mourinho to put out a full strength side. Mourinho said that's why spurs don't win trophies. For mourinho trophies are more important, for levy top 4 is. Both had valid points from their perspectives.
Yes a lot of assumptions but based on observations over 20 years of ENIC. I had heard about a row between Levy and Mourinho as you state BUT I would have backed the Manager - if what you say is right that is interference by a NON football professional. AND what boost might it have been if they had won against City and brought home the Cup - it is not a pre-season trophy, it is still in the top three English trophies - don't underestimate the sense of achievement and confidence boost that a trophy in the cabinet can bring to a club/team.

I have undertaken several interim MD roles in recent years where the owners have told me they will back off and let me run the Company and, despite achieving budgets, they could not leave me alone to do the job... Bring in a DOF if you like but there is no way that Levy will not interfere - he is an Exec Chairman when he really ought to be Non Exec Chairman.

Yes a lot of assumptions but based on observations over 20 years of ENIC. I had heard about a row between Levy and Mourinho as you state BUT I would have backed the Manager - if what you say is right that is interference by a NON football professional. AND what boost might it have been if they had won against City and brought home the Cup - it is not a pre-season trophy, it is still in the top three English trophies - don't underestimate the sense of achievement and confidence boost that a trophy in the cabinet can bring to a club/team.

I have undertaken several interim MD roles in recent years where the owners have told me they will back off and let me run the Company and, despite achieving budgets, they could not leave me alone to do the job... Bring in a DOF if you like but there is no way that Levy will not interfere - he is an Exec Chairman when he really ought to be Non Exec Chairman.

You don't think we actually had a better crack at the final with Mason? The way we were playing there was no belief or enthusiasm from the players.

Obviously, something you were doing was not to the owners liking. If it happened several times...

Last edited:

Depends on whether we tried and failed to get those types of players in. It would be quite a step down for Stones and Rudiger is always going to be hard considering who he currently plays for

Asking Levy to pay massively over the odds for players goes against his basic principle of the clubs stability being the main concern and I agree with that

At the end of the day the league cup is worth £2m the cl is worth £100m. That's how levy sees it. Mourinhos primary goal when brought in would be to get into the cl.
Whoever comes in it will be the same. Many fans might disagree with it (which is fair enough) but that's the way it is.

The betfair odds on Conte have moved quite substantially, he's still a big odds-on favourite but less so than yesterday. Martinez now 2nd favourite

don't think conte is coming, never did believe it.
this has been handled very badly. i'm not one for slagging levy but this turning into a bit of a mess now.
go and get either poch or eth. problem could be that the world knows we want poch and poch wants us, so who is going to take the job knowing that as soon as poch is out a job (which with psg could be anythime) the first choice is standing in wings?

It's a comparison that doesn't make much sense because he had a much better squad to start with than he'd have at Everton - and I think that's the point bedford makes. He did so with a limited budget and nobody's denying that he did a great job, but he was lucky to get the best striker in the world for free. And yes, he was lucky. Kane's raw talent has nothing to do with Pochettino, just like nobody credits Ferguson for Ronaldo's career, and rightly so. Likewise, Guardiola didn't 'make' Messi.

When it took over, we had already played in the Champions League, something Everton have done once (I think) since the creation of the competition. If he had done the same with Arsenal, who from what I remember, were roughly on a par with us when he took over, he'd be considered a very good manager but a trophyless one too. And that's what he is (except for that French Cup he's won a couple of weeks ago). I don't think anyone outside the Spurs community considers him as one of the best managers in the world. We had a great run, again, nobody denies that but he needs to be there on a regular basis to be considered amongst the best.

Ok, but even just taking the initial intent of the question, which was around the idea that people wanting Poch back are romantic about him and what he did for us before, rather than being confident he’s the right guy for the future. Taking it like this specifically, if the club he did it for was Everton, I would absolutely still say he was one of the best managers around and would happily take him here.

I don’t think it needs to be a debate around whether Everton was a fair comparison as a club - they were just picked as a club who have a relatively similar spend to us and who if they made better decisions might be able to do what we have done. But taking the romance out of it, if we were presented with a manager who took Everton (or Saudi Sportswashing Machine, or someone similar sized) to regular top 3 finishes, 2 genuine titles challenges, a CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL!!!, and did this all with no signings for 18 months, 2 years away from the home stadium, and a £20m net spend average over 5 seasons, I’d say yes, I’d take that guy in a heartbeat and wouldn’t need to think about it.

FWIW, I think it is a fair comparison. For Walker/Rose/Kane etc, you can easily read Baines/Coleman/Stones/Lukaku. Point is, they’ve had some top players over the years. Under Martinez they actually made 72 points in his first season. Even if we accept that Poch found a tonne of great talent, the level he took them to, those achievements above, was ridiculous and not predictable at all. That allowed him to keep Kane for longer than we would usually have been able to do. If Everton were doing the same they might have kept some of their top players.

But point is, I don’t think Spurs were suddenly destined to just gatecrash the top 4. I think we might have had the odd top 4 finish under a different manager alongside the occasional 5th or 6th, and I don’t think anyone would have really batted an eyelid. In the same way some people will say Reguillon is terrible now, Rose would have been looked at as a pacey but inconsistent full back, not one of the best in the world.

If he did the same with Arsenal, he would have taken them back to something of the level they had under Wenger. They have a bigger wage budget and commercial income and had over 20 years of regular CL. Of course that wouldn’t be as impressive. But taking a perennial top 6 club and doing what he did with us, that level of achievement was ridiculous and puts him among the best in the world for me, as a managerial talent. Rodgers has also not done similar at Leicester.

He has the full package; modern, up to date coaching methods. Ability to coach well through a league season. Ability to coach well over two legged European ties. I don’t think he gets tactically outclassed (he may get beaten of course, but his tactical capability and strategy over two legs or in big domestic games is on par with the best he’s faced). He needs to win something, but I think he’ll easily win more important trophies at clubs he will manage that are at the level he deserves.

But to go back to the original point, it isn’t just romance, I genuinely think he is top tier and I’d be saying it if he did for Everton or Saudi Sportswashing Machine what he did for us. I think the achievements and how ridiculous they were are being downplayed and I don’t quite get why. We were not a club suddenly expected to make that leap. There’s also a significant delta between Kane becoming a decent PL striker, a good PL striker, and one of the best in the world. He may have made it and maybe always was going to make it, but he could have easily been Danny Ings, it wasn’t obvious he would be this Harry Kane.

The role of 'elite' managers is well over hyped. How many league titles and European trophies would Guardiola have if he managed Burnley? None of these fakes do the hard yards in lowly clubs. For them, it's Barca, Madrid, Emirates Marketing Project or nothing. I wouldn't wast money on them. Get Howe in or that fella from Brighton.

Conte is a different proposition than Pep, so not a fair comparison

- Conte's Juve hadn't won in several years before
- Conte's Chelsea had self destructed under Jose (finished out of European spots)
- Conte's Inter, no one had won except Juve in more than a decade

Pep has had Barca with prime Messi, Bayern and City ..

The reasons you hire elite managers is so they aren't "learning on the job" like Howe or Potter would be, your not their first final or title chase or European game, they can give the team confidence because they have been there before.

- The challenge has typically been those managers like elite players wouldn't come to Spurs in their prime, so like Jose by time he did, what truly made him special was gone.

Conte would be a help of signing because he's at the top of his game, and despite the Poch nostalgia is a level above as manager (says nothing about Poch's potential, just right now, one is clearly the better proven manager)

Back