• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

A very good coach. Blitzed League 1 and the Championship as great passing side, then thrived in the EPL by adding a bit of caution to that (in contrast to Norwich). Tactically innovative and a good motivator - I'd rate him above say Nuno Espirito Santo.
Wilder is class IMO
I’d love us to go down that kinda road but it’s not going to work with a lot of fans

I don’t think this is strictly true. David Luiz is not a Jose defender, but was successful under Conte.

We will definitely need some new players, but I think our squad isn’t a million miles away from suiting a wing back system. And much of Conte’s system relies on playing it out from the back - its rehearsed patterns but it still looks good. I think we’ll be ok after Conte goes.

----------------------------Lloris

-----------Dier-----------Alder---------Davies

Bergwijn-----------------------------------------Regullion
-------------Alli--------Hojberg------Sissoko

-----------------Son------------Lukaku

Is probably the closest we get to a Conte look?

If you vote Tory, you can't moan that there are starving kids. If you employ a counter-attacking coach, you can't moan at the brick football. And we know from Graham and Mourinho how well that goes down with our fans.

Do you not get the irony of talking about starving kids? You're complaining that levy didn't get you the manager you wanted for xmas.

fudge me, after having read more about Conte I'm all aboard the Conte train. Sure, he'll be gone in a couple of years, but so would anyone else anyway. Fifa micro managing tactics, here we go!

43506869-9624463-image-a-23_1622100294216.jpg

I don’t think this is strictly true. David Luiz is not a Jose defender, but was successful under Conte.

We will definitely need some new players, but I think our squad isn’t a million miles away from suiting a wing back system. And much of Conte’s system relies on playing it out from the back - its rehearsed patterns but it still looks good. I think we’ll be ok after Conte goes.

What would we need? Full backs could be okay (Reguilon will be great and maybe Doherty might kick on in that system although I'd rather a new right back). We definitely need 2-3 good centre backs. Other than that...a striker if Harry goes, maybe a CM and a bit of cover.

What would we need? Full backs could be okay (Reguilon will be great and maybe Doherty might kick on in that system although I'd rather a new right back). We definitely need 2-3 good centre backs. Other than that...a striker if Harry goes, maybe a CM and a bit of cover.
2 CBS a CM and a striker
A RB would be good but we may be able to cover that with what we have
It’s possible he may look to play Davies LCB in a 3.
Doherty would suit the system and hasn’t actually played in a 3 for us
CM I’d love sabitzer
We will need an extra striker and I think he may got for Perotta or Vlahovic

Amazing how someone can react to a 'stop eating so much you fat fudge and get some spikes on'

It's a little more, and while I know you disagree with Conte, he doesn't leave much thinking to them.

I'll try to dig it up, but Conte wanted Lukaku to play a certain way and apparently drilled him over and over and it until he got it, and it made him fit the system.

Some of our players might benefit from that coaching ..

If you vote Tory, you can't moan that there are starving kids. If you employ a counter-attacking coach, you can't moan at the brick football. And we know from Graham and Mourinho how well that goes down with our fans.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment but, unless you're an avid Inter or Conte fan and you've watched all of their games last season, you don't know that. For all the criticism about Mourinho's brand of football, it seems it's the mentality of the majority of the squad that was responsible for his downfall. That's what I read from Kane's comments anyway: basically, a few elite players responded well to his methods, the reste (the vast majority of the squad), not so much. He'll never say so in public, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the real eye-opener for him: his team-mates are, for the most part, decent players but poor professionals.

It's a little more, and while I know you disagree with Conte, he doesn't leave much thinking to them.

I'll try to dig it up, but Conte wanted Lukaku to play a certain way and apparently drilled him over and over and it until he got it, and it made him fit the system.

I don't mean to belittle his ability as a manager. I think he's done wonders to Lukaku. I was only saying the other day that Dier would really benefit from a similar regime of physical conditioning

My criticisms of Conte are purely that his system is counter-attacking (which isn't the Spurs way) and that he's far too volatile a personality. And for those two reasons he won't last a year with us.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment but, unless you're an avid Inter or Conte fan and you've watched all of their games last season, you don't know that. For all the criticism about Mourinho's brand of football, it seems it's the mentality of the majority of the squad that was responsible for his downfall. That's what I read from Kane's comments anyway: basically, a few elite players responded well to his methods, the reste (the vast majority of the squad), not so much. He'll never say so in public, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the real eye-opener for him: his team-mates are, for the most part, decent players but poor professionals.

I think Kane & Son responded well because the tactics suited them perfectly- they saw their numbers rocket and were probably left wondering why the rest of the team weren't matching their output.

Which for me makes the prospect of Conte so appealing. A professional who expects his levels to be matched by everyone at the club with no compromise. For all Poch's success he never cultivated a mentality of single minded belief, I remember the conversation Danny Rose told about him and Lamela, and his surprise when Lamela told him we was going to win the league. Conte will expect every player to have that same mentality and beat the ones into shape who don't or ship them out.

Further more apart from City all recent winners of the league have been counter attacking teams. Nobody else has the squad to play possession football, and to be successful domestically it's not necessary.

Volatile personality, eh? He's passionate. He admits it. But we're hardly getting this guy:

Al-Pacino-as-Tony-Montana-Dies-in-Scarface.jpeg

I laughed a while back at GB's line about it all ending in tears.

How will that be different from the end of any other manager's reign?

My take is that a couple of the thicker players weren't put out by Mourinho's bullying authoritarianism, but the more emotionally attuned knew that isn't how you behave to people in this century.

Back to goal
He literally trained him on it constantly with centre backs playing against him

Volatile personality, eh? He's passionate. He admits it. But we're hardly getting this guy:

Al-Pacino-as-Tony-Montana-Dies-in-Scarface.jpeg

I laughed a while back at GB's line about it all ending in tears.

How will that be different from the end of any other manager's reign?

Poch's first spell ended in tears of sadness (as did Jol's). Every other coach since Burkinshaw has been tears of desperation and depression.

Yeah, I think Reguillon, Sess and Doherty should all be pretty happy with this appointment. Hopefully we can sign Aarons to replace Aurier and then we look really good there.

May sound crazy, but I’d give Dier another season to see if a new year of top level football has helped him get over all the time he missed because of his surgeries. By all accounts, he has the right habits, he has the right mentality, and may do well in a back 3. He’s talented and no doubt had a terrible season, but I think it might be one of those where buying stock in Dier is smart because he could be on the way back up. Or he’s destroyed forever...but we’ll see. Then you have Toby, Rodon, even Tanganga and Davies should be good cover in a back 3. I think we may have to switch Sanchez out for someone more proven / suited (so Sanchez can go to a high line club) but broadly speaking, I think our defenders may be better suited to Conte than they were Jose. If Jose got some real box style defenders who would not be beaten, I think he would have done well. We had an out of form Dier, an unsuited Sanchez, an unproven Rodon. But yeah, I think we can maybe see the defence improve by having a new coach.

In midfield, PEH / Skipp / Winks / GLC / N’Dombele feels pretty good to me. Much like my comments on Dier, Winks may actually be someone suited to Conte. Expected to stick to the plan, keep to the rehearsed patterns, being a part of the system rather than being expected to take too much personal responsibility. It probably helps someone like Winks, I just hope his mentality is right because I think Jose had a point with him that he likely let himself down this year.

Up front, I think Dele would be gone. No way someone that is all about intuition suits Conte from what I have read. I think Bergwijn would thrive as something of a Willian. But adding someone of real quality to replace Lamela and Lucas would be good for the squad.

I’ve talked myself into saying there that maybe the squad doesn’t need that much surgery. A centre back, a right wing back, and an attacker. Make them genuinely good, ready to go signings Ala Liverpool signing VVD. And let’s have a crack at this. Sell Aurier, Sissoko, Dele, Lucas, Lamela and maybe Sanchez and let’s see how we do.

I think he'll use Bergwijn as the RWB

Conte is a big Alli fan too - he tried quite hard to buy him in summer 2017 remember

Back