• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

- Zidane is a special fit for Madrid because he understood the circus and politics (huge part of Madird), managed the egos of what was then top players (squad is too old now)
- Conte will buy and moan, but he will probably deliver, he's a Jose v2 as other have mentioned, just before the downhill part of career
- Poch is Poch, we know what we get, the question mark about the ceiling remains

That's the thing with Conte; what will he deliver? He's pretty woeful in Europe and will leave a wasteland of older, high-wage players and do one before competition gets too fierce.
At Chelski he had the advantage of no Europe in that title-winning season, whenever he has no Europe yeah, he often is good.
We are way down the chain for his methods to work (PL probably the most competitive in Europe and we have a distraction of Europe which he often shows he cannot handle).

I'd rather a more attacking and progressive manager if we are really going to get the chequebook out. I do feel he is at least an upgrade on Jose, despite the similarities

That's the thing with Conte; what will he deliver? He's pretty woeful in Europe and will leave a wasteland of older, high-wage players and do one before competition gets too fierce.
At Chelski he had the advantage of no Europe in that title-winning season, whenever he has no Europe yeah, he often is good.
We are way down the chain for his methods to work (PL probably the most competitive in Europe and we have a distraction of Europe which he often shows he cannot handle).

I'd rather a more attacking and progressive manager if we are really going to get the chequebook out. I do feel he is at least an upgrade on Jose, despite the similarities

I'd say it would be fair Conte would have got us CL this year vs. Jose

The Conte question is really about long term vs. short term, someone else said it in this thread, Conte probably would have been a good appointment post Poch, now?

- Zidane is a special fit for Madrid because he understood the circus and politics (huge part of Madird), managed the egos of what was then top players (squad is too old now)
- Conte will buy and moan, but he will probably deliver, he's a Jose v2 as other have mentioned, just before the downhill part of career
- Poch is Poch, we know what we get, the question mark about the ceiling remains

Is the real key here that spurs and Poch have the same ceiling?
Are we the athletico of England, can only hope to win the league if City and a n other brick it?
With Poch as manager our expectations and therefore the pressure is lower, but we can have the stability and group togetherness to take advantage of the one in five seasons where the others are in transition.
Conte, ZZ, etc, the elite proven winners the expectations are higher, not just on and of the club but the managers expectations as well.
Conte for instance I would expect would want to be challenging for the PL, CL if not both.
I don't think we are ready for that.

Any manager coming in will get some backing

I'd be more worried Poch thinks that Davies, Dier, Winks, Sanchez are still worth keeping
I'd be just as worried about that with any incoming manager to be fair. Pochettino would know more about our squad and the shortcomings in it than any other potential manager.

He'd have to be ruthless, like he was at first here - but now with players he has a relationship with. I think he would be.

That's actually a big indictment of Poch if true...

PSG, like Madrid, like Barca are hugely political beasts where a lot of decisions are not in the managers hands. I don't see Poch as a manger that enjoys that kind of environment.

People may bitch about Levy but I doubt he made any real decisions without at least consulting Poch (may have disagreed but would have talked it through) and he was respected here, not seen as an "interim" which is the way I think most people see him at PSG.

Is the real key here that spurs and Poch have the same ceiling?
Are we the athletico of England, can only hope to win the league if City and a n other brick it?
With Poch as manager our expectations and therefore the pressure is lower, but we can have the stability and group togetherness to take advantage of the one in five seasons where the others are in transition.
Conte, ZZ, etc, the elite proven winners the expectations are higher, not just on and of the club but the managers expectations as well.
Conte for instance I would expect would want to be challenging for the PL, CL if not both.
I don't think we are ready for that.

That's an interesting view (I'll leave out I don't think Inter has any real higher ceiling than us)

We are a long game, eventually the stadium/NFL/non football will help us be more competitive, in the interim in may be opportunistic success to your point.

Can he be the right man at the right time again?

Just spoke to my friend who works at Bayern

He said that Hansi was offered the Tottenham job and offered him a job both with us and with the German national team now he's accepted that.

That's real authentic ITK. Can I get a Tier 1 in my sig now?

A very very big question mark.
Failing to win the league at PSG and opting out after 6 months is not a good look.

It's PSG, not sure he's purely opting out

- I suspect he is now aware of the politics/circus
- I also suspect he's aware the PSG might/could be looking at Zidane/Conte/etc. so does he wait for the bullet or take the decision himself.

Just spoke to my friend who works at Bayern

He said that Hansi was offered the Tottenham job and offered him a job both with us and with the German national team now he's accepted that.

That's real authentic ITK. Can I get a Tier 1 in my sig now?

That would be a really odd one ..

Reactions: DTA
I'd say it would be fair Conte would have got us CL this year vs. Jose

The Conte question is really about long term vs. short term, someone else said it in this thread, Conte probably would have been a good appointment post Poch, now?

First point is debatable imo (after winning league at Chelsea he then finished 5th when he had to juggle Europe and other top 6 clubs caught up with his methods etc).

Second point raises a huge question about whether club hierarchy really know what they're doing tbh...why will they really operate differently now under Conte compared to under Jose(and why will things turn out differently)?

A very very big question mark.
Failing to win the league at PSG and opting out after 6 months is not a good look.
They weren’t in great shape when he took over and hasn’t been there long enough to really stamp his authority properly. It might not be a good look to other clubs but we know who he is and what he stands for and importantly he aligns perfectly with the club - both have huge potential with the ability to grow. I wouldn’t mind Ten Hag or Potter, Conte would be good but I’m sure one of the powerhouses would take him so really I don’t see a better candidate than Poch if genuinely available and we might have the opportunity to get him now that won’t be there in a couple of years so I’m happy taking the risk....

PSG, like Madrid, like Barca are hugely political hunks of burning love where a lot of decisions are not in the managers hands. I don't see Poch as a manger that enjoys that kind of environment.

People may bitch about Levy but I doubt he made any real decisions without at least consulting Poch (may have disagreed but would have talked it through) and he was respected here, not seen as an "interim" which is the way I think most people see him at PSG.

That may all be true re the politics, but Poch is not blind: he knew what he was getting into. If he is already pining for Levy then that says a lot i'm afraid (and not necessarily in a good way)

That's an interesting view (I'll leave out I don't think Inter has any real higher ceiling than us)

We are a long game, eventually the stadium/NFL/non football will help us be more competitive, in the interim in may be opportunistic success to your point.

Can he be the right man at the right time again?

It's all about managing expectations until the stadium starts to not only produce, but bed in the better quality of players we can afford.
I'd gladly take five years with Poch similar to what we had with an f a cup or el win thrown in over three winner managers in five years turning us into a circus.
And I do think it will be at least five years before the stadium pays real dividends on the pitch.

It's PSG, not sure he's purely opting out

- I suspect he is now aware of the politics/circus
- I also suspect he's aware the PSG might/could be looking at Zidane/Conte/etc. so does he wait for the bullet or take the decision himself.

It's psg, your p45 (or french equivalent) is never far from the top of the to do pile.

Guy from rmc on talksport. Saying he's talked to psg this morning, they don't want to lose poch and have had no talks with spurs.

Back