• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Exactly. Both sides wouldn't be stupid enough to jump back into it 'just because'. There will have been time to reflect, understand what went wrong, what needs to be in place for it to work going forward.

If it ended up happening, I'm 400% sure it's because those reflections have taken place. Frankly I don't think Poch would want it if it didn't get those assurances, and clearly Levy wouldn't want the moody version of Poch that felt like he wasn't getting his own way.

That's the sensical way of looking at it - but keep in mind here that we're dealing with one person who didn't expect the ESL fan backlash and another who keeps lemons in his office to rid it of bad energy. One is exceptional at writing word salad-like nonsense, while the other can barely string two coherent sentences in English together (I know saying this is like swearing in church, but fudge it).

I'm a bit harsh on both here - but if we've learned anything from these two men - they're unpredictable, and the stuff they do don't always make sense. I would say that one of them is emotional enough to do it, and the other is desperate enough.

That's the sensical way of looking at it - but keep in mind here that we're dealing with one person who didn't expect the ESL fan backlash and another who keeps lemons in his office to rid it of bad energy. One is exceptional at writing word salad-like nonsense, while the other can barely string two coherent sentences in English together (I know saying this is like swearing in church, but fudge it).

I'm a bit harsh on both here - but if we've learned anything from these two men - they're unpredictable, and the stuff they do don't always make sense. I would say that one of them is emotional enough to do it, and the other is desperate enough.

Haha, very fair. I really don't think it will happen, I just hold out a small drop of hope (that seems to be growing every hour!) but really it's a long shot. That Gold didn't rule it out though suggests Levy is holding out hope too.

I think the reason I hope it could work out is because I think sacking Poch was never a firm call either way. I think it was marginal, almost 50/50 at best and Levy unfortunately decided that he got to 51% on the side of sack. I'm sure the other side of it was keep Poch, allow expectations to be reduced for the next two years while we cycle out the old guard / get out of stadium finance difficulty or whatever else it was, and then once we're back, make a real push. Unfortunately doing that would have meant trusting Poch completely, and given he was fluttering his eyes at Jose for the best part of two decades and saw the opportunity to hire him, he decided against it. He thought Jose would be a better bet to squeeze the squad, and so made the most marginal of calls in the best way he knew how.

And I think, because it was marginal, it is hopefully easier to say 'fudge, I got it wrong, I should have gone the other way'. And then just go the other way. Trust the guy. Acknowledge that what he said 2 years before you sacked him was correct. Admit he was the biggest difference maker at the club and allowed us to compete. And then give him the tools to have a bloody good go.

I think your whole first paragraph is the essence of what Pochettino was trying to say needed to change. He blooded youngsters early when we were ‘competing for the European places’. Once we become a regular CL side, the job changes. Harder to blood youngsters but also he wanted more proven signings. He wanted to make that leap but it didn’t seem like Levy was willing to. And that not changing yet is the biggest obstacle to him coming back.

I agree with parts of that; which is why it makes no sense that he returns. He has 'done his time' using youngsters and now he will likely be inclined to make his name with a different set of circumstances. He himself has to grow too (e.g. being more ruthless with making substitutions and not caring about 'hurting players feelings', showing that he is able to be more ruthless in dropping 'stars' who are under-performing, dropping them for big games if necessary etc).

It's not just how we operate as a club that needs to change tbh.

Either way, i simply cannot see it.

I hear you, especially the last sentence. If i was Poch i'd steer well clear tbh. If i was Levy unless i really wanted to change my spots after twenty years i'd also steer clear..

Interesting. People who have watched Sevilla closely, what do they think of Lopetegui's methods and how they could translate to Spurs and PL in general?

Interesting. People who have watched Sevilla closely, what do they think of Lopetegui's methods and how they could translate to Spurs and PL in general?

I remember him more from his Spain/Madrid spell than particularly the last 2 years, but he's generally know for attractive passing football at a decent pace and with a high press, commitment to young players (he managed Spain U21s for four years) and likeable/popular personality.

He quite significantly overhauled/refreshed Del Bosque's national team (particularly bringing through Isco to replace Xavi), without any drop off in performance.

I remember him more from his Spain/Madrid spell than particularly the last 2 years, but he's generally know for attractive passing football at a decent pace and with a high press, commitment to young players (he managed Spain U21s for four years) and likeable/popular personality.

He quite significantly overhauled/refreshed Del Bosque's national team (particularly bringing through Isco to replace Xavi), without any drop off in performance.

Thanks. How's his English and is there a team in the PL that closely matches the style he tends to play etc?

Or as has been repeatedly said
- The managers we are interested in were in a job
- You don't pick people based on paper CV regardless of how good, they have to do an interview process
- If you are going to pay someone £10-15M/yr, you probably want at least one of those interviews to be in person
- See point above, prior to Sunday, most managers in UK would not have been able to "break the bubble" for a physical interview, and even more complexity with quarantines, amber/red list countries if they are not UK based.
- Add contract negotiations, possible fact that it may be manager +DoF

So it's been 48 hours since any real interviews might be possible and your answer is "yeah, fudge it, obviously they don't have a clue"
Right on point! My previous company spent months hiring customer consultants! They bloody well should take their time with this appointment, because it's critical to get it right! Get it wrong (again), and it could potentially accelerate the downward spiral by magnitudes. Get it right and we can possibly recover, and climb up the table again and get into CL again.

Thanks. How's his English and is there a team in the PL that closely matches the style he tends to play etc?

His English is on a par with Sam Allardyce (so almost fluent) and his teams play football similar to Sheffield United - although they don’t tend to operate as well as a defensive unit.

His English is on a par with Sam Allardyce (so almost fluent) and his teams play football similar to Sheffield United - although they don’t tend to operate as well as a defensive unit.

Thanks. When you say Sheffield United, do you mean the season just gone or the previous one?:eek:

Leicester but with a press

Cheers. You don't think Leicester press?
I always thought they do (apart from last Sunday for possible reasons we've discussed already) but that BR had them choosing their moments as to when they should and when they should sit and break (like i always wanted Poch to do more often, especially against better sides and especially vs Klopp and Pep)

His English is easily as good as Poch's. Theres a long interview here:

One potential barrier is there's a bit of a sense that he's been lined up to take over the Liverpool job from klopp in a year or two

Back