• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Sorry lads, but we need to get away from this mindset that "I'd take Naglesmann or ten Hag".

What makes you think they'll take us? Seasoned CL regulars to come to a team who's last trophy was 13 years ago and manager changes on average every 2-3 years like Chelsea, just with no trophies to show.

A lot of arrogant views that we are capable of pulling in such big names, maybe we will, but it's not some foregone conclusion by any stretch.

Sorry lads, but we need to get away from this mindset that "I'd take Naglesmann or ten Hag".

What makes you think they'll take us? Seasoned CL regulars to come to a team who's last trophy was 13 years ago and manager changes on average every 2-3 years like Chelsea, just with no trophies to show.

A lot of arrogant views that we are capable of pulling in such big names, maybe we will, but it's not some foregone conclusion by any stretch.
Managers would come here no problem
Just for the chance to manager in the prem, London, the stadium and facilities
Harry Kane
We’re a huge draw even in a negative period
Managers who rate themselves will see the trophy gap as a challenge too

It’s the same reason why players won’t bloody leave us

Harry Kane

Completely. Naglesmann - not sure we could get him. But ten Hag certainly

Money
Premier League
London

Most managers would crawl here

If you could convince ten hag to bring gravenberch and traore with him it would be well well worth it.

I dont know ten Hag well enough. Is he sufficiently proven? OK, had that glorious year, but with a quality squad. How much of it was down to him?

I still dont see many/any better realistic options than Rodgers (I dont see Nagelsmann as realistic)

I dont know ten Hag well enough. Is he sufficiently proven? OK, had that glorious year, but with a quality squad. How much of it was down to him?

I still dont see many/any better realistic options than Rodgers (I dont see Nagelsmann as realistic)
Rodgers is like a Harry in that you known what you will get and he knows the league

This is a far more immediate situation than I'd have entertained 24 hours ago. However, the smart money is on Jose staying for the rest of the season at least. As much as we despised George Graham I think even his biggest critic feels that he would have been best placed to lead us in the Semi Final that season. Difference now I guess is that we have many more baskets to put our eggs in.

Internally (forgive me if this has already been mentioned) as a short term appointment for the rest of the season Chris Powell - currently coaching in our academy - in partnership with Ledley and possibly Sacramento might be a solution. Powell has managerial experience albeit at lower leagues but he is also one of Gareth Southgate's coaches so you'd hope has some credibility with Kane, Dier, Winks etc and up to date with tactical and training developments.

Long term I think we can aim for the stars - the fact we were able to attract Mourinho is an indication of our pulling power; getting someone out of a current contract should not be an insurmountable problem in the summer.

One starting point on this is 'what are the criteria a new guy has to meet?' In no particular order:

1) plays an attractive brand of football
2) proven enough in a major league (even if over-achieving with a small team)
3) has won something
4) has some star appeal so that he can attract big name players and manage them
5) is young enough to believe he could be here for 5-10 years, or has enough of a track record of staying somewhere for a while

Note: it would be great if someone hits all 5, but I think they must hit 4 out of 5

Not sure point 5 is very realistic, to be honest. Of course, we would all love to have a long-term project but the last manager to spend more than 5 years at this club was Burkinshaw (I probably forgot someone but still, it doesn't happen very often). Most managers plan for a 3-4 years cycle these days. After that, either they're successful and can afford to move elsewhere for more money or their message and methods become stale and they get the boot.

Five years is probably the most you can get from a manager, particularly at a club like Tottenham. Basically, their age is irrelevant (I think) but it still seems like successful managers are on the right side of 55 these days, anyway.

I'd also argue that money is more useful than fame when it comes to attracting star players. Mourinho is still a huge name in world football and most of his signings could have been made by Rodgers. In any case, I think we should invest more in the scouting team.

Not sure point 5 is very realistic, to be honest. Of course, we would all love to have a long-term project but the last manager to spend more than 5 years at this club was Burkinshaw (I probably forgot someone but still, it doesn't happen very often). Most managers plan for a 3-4 years cycle these days. After that, either they're successful and can afford to move elsewhere for more money or their message and methods become stale and they get the boot.

Five years is probably the most you can get from a manager, particularly at a club like Tottenham. Basically, their age is irrelevant (I think) but it still seems like successful managers are on the right side of 55 these days, anyway.

I'd also argue that money is more useful than fame when it comes to attracting star players. Mourinho is still a huge name in world football and most of his signings could have been made by Rodgers. In any case, I think we should invest more in the scouting team.

What I mean by the 5 year point is that Mourinho rarely / never stays at a club for 3 years, so it rules that type of person out, and similarly hiring someone permanently like Harry, who because of age won't have that long left i him

What I mean by the 5 year point is that Mourinho rarely / never stays at a club for 3 years, so it rules that type of person out, and similarly hiring someone permanently like Harry, who because of age won't have that long left i him

Yes, i get the idea and we won't have much to argue about anyway since most successful managers are fairly young: Klopp, Guardiola even Flick or Zidane (if that's your thing) or Deschamps are all in their 50s. I don't think anyone would vote for Roy Hodgson!

He might as well get given to the end of the season because he has shown when all are fit we aren’t that bad and he even let us attack the last time we had a fit team AND were playing a brick team (sheff united). Whereas prior to that he didnt let us attack against fulham.

So he is learning something at least. Lets see how he ends the season - top 4 is long gone now and nagelsmann isnt available till the summer, so lets see how mou finishes this campaign.

We will end about 8th now which is a disgrace and he is largely to blame for loads of dropped points due to his overreaction to the freak wham result. Along with the 8th place finish winning the league cup should not be enough to essentially choose him over nagelsmann.

To do that he would need to win two of the remaining three trophies, then I’d keep him as two trophies is pretty impressive.

But if its one trophy with the 8th place finish then he must be moved on and nagelsmann in.

He might as well get given to the end of the season because he has shown when all are fit we aren’t that bad and he even let us attack the last time we had a fit team AND were playing a brick team (sheff united). Whereas prior to that he didnt let us attack against fulham.

So he is learning something at least. Lets see how he ends the season - top 4 is long gone now and nagelsmann isnt available till the summer, so lets see how mou finishes this campaign.

We will end about 8th now which is a disgrace and he is largely to blame for loads of dropped points due to his overreaction to the freak wham result. Along with the 8th place finish winning the league cup should not be enough to essentially choose him over nagelsmann.

To do that he would need to win two of the remaining three trophies, then I’d keep him as two trophies is pretty impressive.

But if its one trophy with the 8th place finish then he must be moved on and nagelsmann in.

I pretty much agree with all of this. Reality is that he isn't going anywhere until season's end at least. We are 6 points off top 4 (with a game in hand); in the 5th round of the FA Cup; the knock-out stages of the Europa; and the final of the League Cup.

Levy isn't going to get rid of the man he's been after for years with things standing like that imho.

Harry Kane

Agreed, but would depend on the timing and other clubs being interested. We can't just pick and choose even outside the absolute elite.

Nagelsaman will be two years into his contract with RB in the summer, might be doable. Buthe's highly rated and might reasonably expect bigger clubs to come in for him in not too long. That's if he would be happy leaving RB at that time for us in the first place.

Ten Hag seems like it would be easier to get over the line.

Back