• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Because he won some european knockout matches? I'm not seeing a lot in that write up to get excited about, his 'achievements' aren't much to write home about so I'd want to hear about what type of coach/manager he is, what type of football his teams play and why that would translate to doing well at Spurs?

He's managed Spain, Real Madrid & Porto - winning nothing and won a EL with Sevilla, a competition that one of Arteta or Solskjar are likely to win this season. A bit of a nothing CV on paper, so what are the details beyond that, that make him a good choice?
There are not that many choices that have been linked to us with great trophy winning CVs. Potter's accomplishments are mainly in the Swedish league which does not fill me with confidence about taking on a much bigger club. Especially given his struggles with Brighton.

I remember how exciting the national team were under Lopetegui. Not really followed Sevilla but he is on a high, finishing 4th with Sevilla as opposed to 14/15th with Brighton.

Lopetegui and Rodgers obviously have the pedigree and I think either would do a decent job. It's just that Rodgers irritates the hell out of me.

Because he won some european knockout matches? I'm not seeing a lot in that write up to get excited about, his 'achievements' aren't much to write home about so I'd want to hear about what type of coach/manager he is, what type of football his teams play and why that would translate to doing well at Spurs?

He's managed Spain, Real Madrid & Porto - winning nothing and won a EL with Sevilla, a competition that one of Arteta or Solskjar are likely to win this season. A bit of a nothing CV on paper, so what are the details beyond that, that make him a good choice?

He has achieved more than the manager many consider our best for a generation achieved with a smaller club.

Out of interest what managers CV excites you enough to get the job that we would actually stand a chance of getting?

He has achieved more than the manager many consider our best for a generation achieved with a smaller club.

Out of interest what managers CV excites you enough to get the job that we would actually stand a chance of getting?

That's not really an answer to my question - your post made it sound like you had some knowledge about him as a manager, i guess that's not the case?

I'm not particularly excited by any managers CV, at least not ones which we have been linked to- that's why I'm asking about what type of manager he is - Bedfordspurs' posts about Potter as an example have shown what type of manager he is and why he would potentially be a good fit at Spurs, when we appinted Pochettino there were similar posts about what traits he had that would hold him in good stead here, so far with this chap outside of his limited CV we have little to go on.

That's not really an answer to my question - your post made it sound like you had some knowledge about him as a manager, i guess that's not the case?

I'm not particularly excited by any managers CV, at least not ones which we have been linked to- that's why I'm asking about what type of manager he is - Bedfordspurs' posts about Potter as an example have shown what type of manager he is and why he would potentially be a good fit at Spurs, when we appinted Pochettino there were similar posts about what traits he had that would hold him in good stead here, so far with this chap outside of his limited CV we have little to go on.

I've watched enough of Sevilla.

He had the full backs high to the point of inverted wingers, midfielder dropping in to make a 3, an excellent sort passing game through the team, and promotes overloads in the final third.

To be honest stylistically I don't find that much tactically difference between most newer managers. They mostly press high, play a variation of 4-3-3, high block, quick turnovers. It's whether they've been able to apply their ideas and build a team that's the sum of its parts. Which he has. He has a reputation for bringing through youth, defends his players against criticism, promotes hard work as when he was at Spain picked players based on form not reputation.

I've watched enough of Sevilla.

He had the full backs high to the point of inverted wingers, midfielder dropping in to make a 3, an excellent sort passing game through the team, and promotes overloads in the final third.

To be honest stylistically I don't find that much tactically difference between most newer managers. They mostly press high, play a variation of 4-3-3, high block, quick turnovers. It's whether they've been able to apply their ideas and build a team that's the sum of its parts. Which he has. He has a reputation for bringing through youth, defends his players against criticism, promotes hard work as when he was at Spain picked players based on form not reputation.

Thanks, if true that sort of stuff is more important to me than beating Wolves in the EL and winning a bunch of friendlies with the Spanish national team.

Honestly after my attacks on ENIC in the other thread I was just trying to show a bit of optimism for a decision they might make!

Davies in a back 3 isn’t seriously something to get me excited. Although Dier in the 3 was good under Poch in 16/17.

Most people would look good when you have peak Jan and Toby either side of you.

Brittle, bitchy PSG out of the CL in shameful, petulant fashion, trailing Lille by one point in Ligue 1 after losing 1-0 to them in a crucial showdown not long ago, the big boys are in turmoil. I'd say Pochettino is on shaky ground in Paris with only one year remaining on his very short contract.

Lille with only three games remaining against relegation-safe Angers and St. Etienne, plus Lens, stuck in fifth place with no chance to move up into a Europa League spot. They may well tank to avoid the Conference League. At this stage, we may well see Lille's opponents in a generous mood, eager to share the common view of PSG by giving them the finger and letting Lille win.

After which, PSG owners will probably be thinking about a new manager, like the malcontent Zinedine Zidane, reportedly fed up in Madrid.

Poch will be free to come back where he was so beloved. Everyone - himself, Levy, Spurs players, even the media - will be delighted to see him back. A new sense of appreciation for what had been built, what was there before and prematurely abandoned, will sweep over the club and we'll see them prepare for next season with a new-found sense of purpose and awareness.

New talent will be found to bolster weak spots. Returning players will be giving their all for the cause. Spurs will win the league. A statue - or two - will be commissioned. Stands will be named in honour of great players and club stalwarts. Babies will be named for our heroes. Streets around the stadium will be re-named. The sun will shine out our arses.

Brittle, bitchy PSG out of the CL in shameful, petulant fashion, trailing Lille by one point in Ligue 1 after losing 1-0 to them in a crucial showdown not long ago, the big boys are in turmoil. I'd say Pochettino is on shaky ground in Paris with only one year remaining on his very short contract.

Lille with only three games remaining against relegation-safe Angers and St. Etienne, plus Lens, stuck in fifth place with no chance to move up into a Europa League spot. They may well tank to avoid the Conference League. At this stage, we may well see Lille's opponents in a generous mood, eager to share the common view of PSG by giving them the finger and letting Lille win.

After which, PSG owners will probably be thinking about a new manager, like the malcontent Zinedine Zidane, reportedly fed up in Madrid.

Poch will be free to come back where he was so beloved. Everyone - himself, Levy, Spurs players, even the media - will be delighted to see him back. A new sense of appreciation for what had been built, what was there before and prematurely abandoned, will sweep over the club and we'll see them prepare for next season with a new-found sense of purpose and awareness.

New talent will be found to bolster weak spots. Returning players will be giving their all for the cause. Spurs will win the league. A statue - or two - will be commissioned. Stands will be named in honour of great players and club stalwarts. Babies will be named for our heroes. Streets around the stadium will be re-named. The sun will shine out our arses.
Please PM me your dealer's details.

Cheers. That was interesting.

I’m sure he could be good - probably as worthy of a chance as any other candidate. It’s a lottery in the end.

Exactly this. Each candidate comes with risk.
Potter's is that he has no experience managing big name players and all that comes with that.
Lopetegui's is that he hasn't managed in the league.

Another on here: https://www.football365.com/news/case-graham-potter-tottenham-manager-opinion

I posted a few weeks back i knew nothing of Potter but a few on here pointed out the coaching methods he's delivered in UK and abroad.

It's slim pickings, and there's no clear candidate that's head and shoulders above the rest.

Lopetegui, a few from Italy, none appear to be absolute stand out candidates in the same vein as say Naglesmann was from the German league.

At least with Potter, i think it's someone who's used to the PL, and at least based on statistics, is used to having attacking football translate onto a PL pitch.

I am not saying xG and xPts is gospel, all i know is it some form of analysis with methodology to support, and it tells a story. Based on that, it tells us Brighton should be far higher up the league table based on their football but shot conversion to goals is their biggest hinderance. So i am trying to grasp some positives on Potter.

Brighton have the biggest deficit in the entire league on xG an xPts. Like i said, not saying it's gospel, but if you're looking for positives there are some.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Thanks for posting. Some of this depends on what Potter wants for himself and his career. From a purely career perspective, he should bear in mind Eddie Howe - was a similar rising star a few years ago and could have then moved to a team which is a step up - whether a Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Villa, West Ham, maybe Everton pre-Ancelotti - and now will need to do a good job somewhere else before getting one of those gigs. And he's need to do one of those jobs in order to get a job in the next rung in the league

For Potter, he's probably taken Brighton as far as he realistically can, and whether its caused by him , injuries, form, luck or whatever, if Brighton have a worse season next year (which is likely given he probably cant take them much further) then he wont be in the running for as big jobs. Therefore from a ruthless, career perspective, he should jump ship soon especially for the Spurs job if offered it. I dont see Levy going for Potter, whether rightly or wrongly, though!

Thanks for posting. Some of this depends on what Potter wants for himself and his career. From a purely career perspective, he should bear in mind Eddie Howe - was a similar rising star a few years ago and could have then moved to a team which is a step up - whether a Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Villa, West Ham, maybe Everton pre-Ancelotti - and now will need to do a good job somewhere else before getting one of those gigs. And he's need to do one of those jobs in order to get a job in the next rung in the league

For Potter, he's probably taken Brighton as far as he realistically can, and whether its caused by him , injuries, form, luck or whatever, if Brighton have a worse season next year (which is likely given he probably cant take them much further) then he wont be in the running for as big jobs. Therefore from a ruthless, career perspective, he should jump ship soon especially for the Spurs job if offered it. I dont see Levy going for Potter, whether rightly or wrongly, though!

Same here. I do see Arsenal going for him though, can’t see Arteta surviving beyond the end of the season.

Back