• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New router old router

Bullet

Luka Modric
Fascinating, I know.

I got a new router from BT, a Hub 3.

I plugged it in and turned it on and had to type in the new password on the back of it.

I realised that would be a pain to do for 10 devices, so via the My BT App I changed the name and password of the Hub 3 to match the old Hub 2.

Success, all devices simply logged on no problem.

So then I wondered if I could plug in the old router and it would simply join in the fun and pair up and boost the signal elsewhere in the house.

But apparently it doesn't work like that. Why not? That would be way too easy. What should I do with it? Nothing too techy please

Fascinating, I know.

I got a new router from BT, a Hub 3.

I plugged it in and turned it on and had to type in the new password on the back of it.

I realised that would be a pain to do for 10 devices, so via the My BT App I changed the name and password of the Hub 3 to match the old Hub 2.

Success, all devices simply logged on no problem.

So then I wondered if I could plug in the old router and it would simply join in the fun and pair up and boost the signal elsewhere in the house.

But apparently it doesn't work like that. Why not? That would be way too easy. What should I do with it? Nothing too techy please
You need to switch your old router to wireless repeater mode/extender mode for it to work. Not all routers support that. You'd have to log in to the router and probably head to the advanced setup section and have a look if there's an option to do it. Also, it needs to be able to handle at least roughly the same bandwidth as the new one, otherwise you only create a bottleneck.

Thanks Kandi. Sounds stupid, but how does one log into the router?
It isn't on the WiFi network any more, so do I use the Ethernet to Ethernet cable to plug it into my laptop and... then... what?
Do I go into Device Manager or something? I've just never done this.
It's a funny old business, should be easy but is odd. E.g. I didn't log into this new router at all. I just plugged it in and it works, and I wnet into the MyBT App to change the password... so maybe I should use the App.
GHod, I sound like a Septuagenarian don't I?

Thanks Kandi. Sounds stupid, but how does one log into the router?
It isn't on the WiFi network any more, so do I use the Ethernet to Ethernet cable to plug it into my laptop and... then... what?
Do I go into Device Manager or something? I've just never done this.
It's a funny old business, should be easy but is odd. E.g. I didn't log into this new router at all. I just plugged it in and it works, and I wnet into the MyBT App to change the password... so maybe I should use the App.
GHod, I sound like a Septuagenarian don't I?
Yes, plug it in with ethernet cable, and type in the ip adress of the router, typically something like 1.1.10.1, In a browser. Then you need the username and password to log in to the router settings. You probably need the original documentation for that, if you haven't changed it (sounds like you haven't, but you should, as if not, anyone can log in to your router, as the ip adress and standard password/username is the same for every router of that type), or it is possibly available on your providers website.

Here's a guide on how to do the whole thing, just not specifically for your router, but the principle and method is the same.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-turn-old-router-into-wifi-extender,review-5166.html

Guru @Kandi1977 what about extenders? Currently when I move around the house none of the devices know to switch to the closer router/extender.

must be a way to address it rather than manually switch them constantly.

Last edited:
Guru @Kandi1977 what about extenders? Currently when I move around the house none of the devices know to switch to the closer router/extender.

must be a way to address it rather than manually switch them constantly.
I know a little bit about this stuff, but I'm no guru, just want to make that clear. In theory, Devices should switch to the strongest source. I have little experience with extenders, but I have read and heard that most have mixed experience with them. The main issue being interference between them, that actually make the signal worse than it would have been without it. I'd imagine that might be the source of your problem. If they are too close, they'll only mess up the signal. That's just my theory though. You don't want the signal to overlap too much, if you know what I mean.

The extender and router work well once connected. But neither iOS or Windows seems to swap to the stronger signal. They'll hang onto the connected source even though there is no/limited data. Then you have to go into settings and connect to the other device. Seems like a bit of an oversight from Microsoft and Apple. But there has to be a way. Will check out mesh...

Back