• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

new bike help please

viscount thurso

Gregorz Rasiak
Hello all. Long time since I've been on here. I'm currently in the market for a new bike. Mountain or hybrid. I've got around 200 to spend and after doing some research know about the rubbish that is on offer at supermarkets and some of HalFord's basic level bikes. I am confused and need some steering, advice and options. Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks.

The-High-Wheel.jpg

Not being funny but at £200 they are going to be much of a muchness, look for something second hand but well looked after.

Wiggle have good deals from time to time as well.

Last edited:
as has been said last years models always go for a far reduced price, if the company you work for is in one of the cycle to work schemes you can also save a lot of money, you pay monthly out of your salary before tax, so you might be able to stretch a bit further

evans cycles have a sale on at the minute as well

Not being funny but at £200 they are going to be much of a muchness, look for something second hand but well looked after.

My thoughts exactly, get yourself a good second hand bike. There is a bloke in a small town not far from us that buys and does up second hand bikes and has a garage full of them. We have kitted out the whole family with bikes. I bought myself a nearly new dual suspension mountain bike last year for £50. Check out your local papers and ask about to see what is in your area.

Thanks everyone. Thing is with the second hand it's hard to tell if it'S looked after from a picture. What are the things to look for?

Bikes luckily fall into one of the second hand markets where there are bargains to be had......................its one of the hobbies/interests that people can be keen on for 10 mins, buy some quality kit and then let it sit in the garage. Alternatively with a true enthusiast, he is bound to have kept his machine in good nick.

£200 is not much in the new world (although that muddy fox ^^^looked pretty good), you can end up with some real cheap sh*t in that range. BUT second hand you'll defo find something decent. Look for good components and don't worry if its 5yrs old.;)

ps Oh. Cracks/dents/twists in the frame are your biggest worry

Back