• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Neville talking about a quota for British players.

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/12/gary-neville-british-football-sky-sport

Quite an interessting read by one of the best pundits around. He says he doubts he would have made it in the game today if he was starting out as an 18 year old.

Lots of talking about how to reshape english football but you know what i think needs to happen, we need another jimmy hill and i think this man can be it. I hope he runs for the head of the F.A. think he would make a good one.

Nothing stopping an 18 year old going to a Belgian or Dutch league to aid their development.

Nothing stopping an 18 year old going to a Belgian or Dutch league to aid their development.

Solid point.

Somewhat similarly I think it could benefit English/British football immensely if more young English footballers tried their luck abroad in some of the better academies around Europe. When was the last time a British player made it through an academy in one of the higher rated youth producing clubs on the continent?

People can talk about all they want but its illegal under EU law.

It would presumably be illegal to restrict the number of non-British (but EU) employees at the club but would it to have a quota of British players in a starting 11, or starting 11 plus subs? Not sure tbh...
Iirc there are already restrictions on the number of non-"home grown" players in a squad, or have I not remembered that correctly at all?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/12/gary-neville-british-football-sky-sport

Quite an interessting read by one of the best pundits around. He says he doubts he would have made it in the game today if he was starting out as an 18 year old.

Lots of talking about how to reshape english football but you know what i think needs to happen, we need another jimmy hill and i think this man can be it. I hope he runs for the head of the F.A. think he would make a good one.

I'd say it's not just Britain, but the whole of Europe. I have zero interest in watching two European giants play each other when the majority of players on either side aren't even from that country.

We need massive structural reforms, like Klinsmann initiated in Germany a decade ago. The German FA saw the warning signs and took bold decisions. We (as a nation) instead just kept our head in the sand and focused on the short-term fast cash.

Although we've (Spurs) stopped buying English - a rightly so, as there are so few really exciting prospects in English youth football (Rooney a decade ago was about the last) - we are at least doing things right in our academy. The likes of Carroll, Pritchard and Coulthirst that we've been developing are proper technical players who will do well on any stage (Europe, international), not just the 100 mph EPL.

In terms of fixing England's problem, Trevor Brooking is a nice guy but a lightweight. I've a bit more faith in Greg Dyke, having come across him professionally before. But we really need to pull the stops out to appoint and empower someone like Klinsmann or Dave Brailsford to basically rip everything up and start again.

The U21 manager appointment will be an interesting indication of where things are likely to go. Going for a progressive technical coach like Hoddle would be a good step in the right direction.

Solid point.

When was the last time a British player made it through an academy in one of the higher rated youth producing clubs on the continent?

Sonny Pike? Owen Hargreaves?

It would presumably be illegal to restrict the number of non-British (but EU) employees at the club but would it to have a quota of British players in a starting 11, or starting 11 plus subs? Not sure tbh...
Iirc there are already restrictions on the number of non-"home grown" players in a squad, or have I not remembered that correctly at all?

You are only allowed 17 non-home-grown in your squad of 25. They use home-grown, rather than nationality, to get round EU law. But then it means that say someone like Siggy counts as home-grown.

Solid point.

Somewhat similarly I think it could benefit English/British football immensely if more young English footballers tried their luck abroad in some of the better academies around Europe. When was the last time a British player made it through an academy in one of the higher rated youth producing clubs on the continent?

Brits?
Working abroad?

:ross:

When did they take away the quota, because I remember they had it before - even 3 foreign players to a match for each team.

Championship manager would be so better without this restriction! I would buy Brazilians all day long

When was the last time a British player made it through an academy in one of the higher rated youth producing clubs on the continent?

There's one these days in Eric Dier at Sporting CP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Dier

Any discrimination based on nationality within the EU is illegal.
Only reason they got the home grown quota approved is because it doesn't look at a player's nationality, and even that was controversial and uncertain to stand if someone protest it.
Gylfi Sigurdsson is considered home grown due to being with the Reading academy in his late teens, the fact he isn't english doesn't prevent him from being home grown.
If Eric Dier move to a Premier League club, he will not be considered home grown even if he is english.

Back