• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Music recording software

ringo

Tim Sherwood
Anybody do music recording here? I'm looking to get an easy to use Digital Audio Workstation. I while back I used early versions of Cubase and Cakewalk, but everything appears to have changed now.

My main priorities are ease of use (my son will be learning too). I want it to be reasonably immediate and intuitive. I'm never going to spend hours wading through manuals, or editing waveforms. On the other hand I do want it to be versatile enough to have the option of creating tracks from scratch, rather than always assembling already created loops.

I have limited knowledge of what is currently available. I've heard of Fruity Loops and Ableton, but don't know much about them, pro and cons, or whether something else would be better.

Oh, and I'm going to be using a PC rather than an Apple system.

Last edited:
Anybody do music recording here? I'm looking to get an easy to use Digital Audio Workstation. I while back I used early versions of Cubase and Cakewalk, but everything appears to have changed now.

My main priorities are ease of use (my son will be learning too). I want it to be reasonably immediate and intuitive. I'm never going to spend hours wading through manuals, or editing waveforms. On the other hand I do want it to be versatile enough to have the option of creating tracks from scratch, rather than always assembling already created loops.

I have limited knowledge of what is currently available. I've heard of Fruity Loops and Ableton, but don't know much about them, pro and cons, or whether something else would be better.

Oh, and I'm going to be using a PC rather than an Apple system.

I mess about a bit with making music mainly electronic stuff I just do it as a little pass time nothing to serious.
If you are both total beginners I would try fruit loops as should have all you need. And if you don't want to read manuals you tube has plenty of videos and tips for all types of music programmes

Enjoy the endless hours of tinkering only to decide you don't like bits

Fruity Loops is the real basic-don't-know-anything software. Its not really considered to be music making software by professionals.

Ableton is great if you're mainly using loops. Alot of artists use Ableton like Daft Punk, Deadmau5, Underworld, Knife Party, Justice etc. So that should give you the sort of idea what you could produce with that.

If your using live recording too then I would use Cubase. There's loads of Steinburg plug-ins for it too though you could easily run into £1000's worth of software.

I studied Music Production at University and we used Cubase and Nuendo; both made by Steinberg. Whilst at College (again I studied Music Production) we used Ableton and Logic but unfortunately Apple decided to buy Logic then ruin it.

Depending whether you are planning to buy the software or, ermmm, test it out for free from shadey websites, you could look at getting Logic 5.5.1. Its the last version of Logic they did for PC and its excellent. My favourite for music production by far. It has full VST support too so you can use up to date plugins. Though you can't buy that anymore

Last edited:
Fruity Loops is the real basic-don't-know-anything software. Its not really considered to be music making software by professionals.

Ableton is great if you're mainly using loops. Alot of artists use Ableton like Daft Punk, Deadmau5, Underworld, Knife Party, Justice etc. So that should give you the sort of idea what you could produce with that.

If your using live recording too then I would use Cubase. There's loads of Steinburg plug-ins for it too though you could easily run into £1000's worth of software.

I studied Music Production at University and we used Cubase and Nuendo; both made by Steinberg. Whilst at College (again I studied Music Production) we used Ableton and Logic but unfortunately Apple decided to buy Logic then ruin it.

Depending whether you are planning to buy the software or, ermmm, test it out for free from shadey websites, you could look at getting Logic 5.5.1. Its the last version of Logic they did for PC and its excellent. My favourite for music production by far. It has full VST support too so you can use up to date plugins. Though you can't buy that anymore

Thanks for the info. sounds like you must have some expert knowledge given your choice of degree. There's a lot of choice out there -and it's bewildering. Although I'm a guitarist primarily, I want to do something different, so no or little live recording. I have a lot of hardware - Yamaha electronic drums, synths, guitars, all sorts, but wanted to try something different. I was looking at YouTube video of Martin Garrix (who we have a connection to) talking through Animals, and I thought that looks like something my son could do for fun. Plus I was looking at small room friendly drum pad midi controllers like the Octopad and came across Jeremy Ellis using the Maschine and thought that looked good too. (We also like Beardyman)

So ideally I want to be able to:

Make electronic music (with my son) using (pre)loaded sounds and samples- without too much editing (at first at least) using some kind of midi controller. And then save the sound file.
But that is where it gets complicated. Do I go for Ableton, Reason, or Cubase or Logic, Mac, PC, Maschine or a small keyboard controller or both... or are they all equally good so it doesn't matter much.

Ah yes I completely forgot about Reason! Reasons great to play around with, plugging in different stacks with virtual wires, but it is a little limited. To be honest it was 6 years ago that I graduated and have since gone into accountancy so I am a little behind with the most current software updates of each product. For example I used to use Cubase 3SX, I think they're on Cubase 7 or 8 now.

If I were you I would look into Ableton. It's fairly simple to use, great for using ready-made loops, and you can do sound design in it too.

You made find this thread useful

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...tools-vs-logic-vs-ableton-pro-comparison.html

Ah yes I completely forgot about Reason! Reasons great to play around with, plugging in different stacks with virtual wires, but it is a little limited. To be honest it was 6 years ago that I graduated and have since gone into accountancy so I am a little behind with the most current software updates of each product. For example I used to use Cubase 3SX, I think they're on Cubase 7 or 8 now.

If I were you I would look into Ableton. It's fairly simple to use, great for using ready-made loops, and you can do sound design in it too.

You made find this thread useful

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...tools-vs-logic-vs-ableton-pro-comparison.html

Is music production a good route into accountancy? I wish someone had told me -I would have had more fun at university! Do you still have time for music, or not so much.

Ableton Live is by far the easiest DAW I've ever worked with. Fast and intuitive workflow. You can basically learn the most important features of it in a couple of hours, if not less. I made my first track with it within 24 hours of having gotten the software. You just drag and drop instruments onto the working space, click within the "clips" to create melody lines or drum patterns. By clicking the "tab" button while holding a clip you change to "arrangement view" where you can arrange and mix your track. Super easy. Recommended!

Ableton Live is by far the easiest DAW I've ever worked with. Fast and intuitive workflow. You can basically learn the most important features of it in a couple of hours, if not less. I made my first track with it within 24 hours of having gotten the software. You just drag and drop instruments onto the working space, click within the "clips" to create melody lines or drum patterns. By clicking the "tab" button while holding a clip you change to "arrangement view" where you can arrange and mix your track. Super easy. Recommended!

Couldn't agree more. Go with Live.

There's a cheaper feature cut version out.

Is music production a good route into accountancy? I wish someone had told me -I would have had more fun at university! Do you still have time for music, or not so much.

No unfortunately I graduated right when the country turned to s***. For me to pursue my dream it meant I had to work for free in order to build real-world experience which is something I just couldn't afford to do. So I got a job at a local accounting firm and completely retrained. Its a shame because I love music, but bills needed to be paid.

I don't really have any time for music at all. I used to be quite an accomplished guitar player (passed Grade 7 classic) and piano player (Grade 5) but its been so long since I played I think I'd struggle to even play Smoke On the Water :p

I really hope you get into Ableton, embrace it, and love it. You should create a SoundCloud account and post the music you make on here

No unfortunately I graduated right when the country turned to s***. For me to pursue my dream it meant I had to work for free in order to build real-world experience which is something I just couldn't afford to do. So I got a job at a local accounting firm and completely retrained. Its a shame because I love music, but bills needed to be paid.

I don't really have any time for music at all. I used to be quite an accomplished guitar player (passed Grade 7 classic) and piano player (Grade 5) but its been so long since I played I think I'd struggle to even play Smoke On the Water :p

I really hope you get into Ableton, embrace it, and love it. You should create a SoundCloud account and post the music you make on here

How old are you scotty? I feel quite sad reading that.....a lot of what you loved sidelined, as you were bumped and nudged onto the treadmill of modern life. Do you miss those interests or have you 'moved on'?

Sorry to hear you didn't have the chance to make a career out of music. Maybe in the future? You got further than me by taking your degree in music production. But I sympathise about the lost opportunity. I've spent most of my career doing something in the creative industries a lot of people would like to do, while at the same time I really wanted to make a living from music composition. The only consolation is at least we have it as hobby.

Thanks to everybody for their various thoughts and advice. For the music production with my son I think I will get Ableton and a couple of midi controllers - Maschine or Push, and a small midi keyboard. (I might also try and get a copy of Reason).

Before committing to one, why don't you just try out each one one from the "special shop on the internet where the one eyed man works". That's where I got all my stuff from. Making music, even as a hobby, eats money and you gotta save it where you can. It can become a bit of an addiction, buying gear to get a better sound. Don't go spending large amounts of money unless you or your son are very very good.

Sorry to hear you didn't have the chance to make a career out of music. Maybe in the future? You got further than me by taking your degree in music production. But I sympathise about the lost opportunity. I've spent most of my career doing something in the creative industries a lot of people would like to do, while at the same time I really wanted to make a living from music composition. The only consolation is at least we have it as hobby.

Thanks to everybody for their various thoughts and advice. For the music production with my son I think I will get Ableton and a couple of midi controllers - Maschine or Push, and a small midi keyboard. (I might also try and get a copy of Reason).

If you have and iPad check out Touchable. I've just learning it now and it's impressive. You can use it as a midi keyboard amongst other things.

Best of luck with the composing. I'd love to spend more time at it but my kids won't let me!!!!

How old are you scotty? I feel quite sad reading that.....a lot of what you loved sidelined, as you were bumped and nudged onto the treadmill of modern life. Do you miss those interests or have you 'moved on'?

I'm 27 now. I absolutely miss it for sure, but with work and family commitments there's just not enough time to invest into it and make the sort of quality I'd be after so see not point in doing it.

I definitely think you're making the right choice with Ableton, but as Bonsaiboy says it may be worth trying to demo some software for free first to make sure its right for you.

I look forward to hearing some samples on here soon!

I was wondering if anyone could help, I have Numark decks which I mix on and I would like to record my decks. I have Logic Pro so ideally it should be able to record on there but could anyone talk me through how to do it?

I was wondering if anyone could help, I have Numark decks which I mix on and I would like to record my decks. I have Logic Pro so ideally it should be able to record on there but could anyone talk me through how to do it?
personally I would try a standalone recording software for mixes a lot easier Audacity for example there is a few out there.

But if you want to use logic

Hook decks to sound card master or aux

Then create an audio track in logic,choose the input you need once done that click r then test your levels into the track from your decks then away you go press record.
Hope it helps I have not turned logic on for a little while so might have missed something but others may be able help

I'm using Cubase 5 atm and really happy with it. I make electronic music with some live audio recordings as well. The layout and Interface is intuitive and quite basic to understand. You also get ****load of VST plugins, both free and paid, so basically all you need to get going is a midi keyboard.

Protools is another good option, and Abelton live is also really good, especially for live performances.

Garage band is good for newbies. And quite capable as well. I read somewhere that French electro-house duo Justice made one of their albums entirely in Garage band. Quite remarkable.

Anyways, lots of good options out there. Mostly about preference now as most of them can cover almost all your needs.

For ease of use and learning, you can't beat Ignite. I got it free with my MPK Mini controller, and I believe it comes free with most of the M-Audio keyboard controllers too. I had it for ages and didn't use it until I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pTdt06tpY4

Although the example uses MIDI instruments (and emphasises the built in players), it works exactly the same with audio, and it's a brilliant sketchpad and you can take it all the way to finished tracks. It's just so quick to boot up and get playing. There are dozens of built in effects for guitar, voice, anything you want, loads of editable synths and instruments built in, and a very intuitive workflow with everything within reach on screen. If you want to get into really detailed editing you can quickly export tracks as MIDI or audio, with or without effects to one of the more sophisticated DAWS.

I'm using Cubase 5 atm and really happy with it. I make electronic music with some live audio recordings as well. The layout and Interface is intuitive and quite basic to understand. You also get ****load of VST plugins, both free and paid, so basically all you need to get going is a midi keyboard.

Protools is another good option, and Abelton live is also really good, especially for live performances.

Garage band is good for newbies. And quite capable as well. I read somewhere that French electro-house duo Justice made one of their albums entirely in Garage band. Quite remarkable.

Anyways, lots of good options out there. Mostly about preference now as most of them can cover almost all your needs.

Yep, Garageband is incredibly easy to use, but quite powerful as well. Not surprised by that, actually, as it's a quality application, really. :)

Back