• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

wonder with sissoko in games against teams sitting back or if we are chasing a game we will line up in midfield with Sissoko, Dembele and Ali (sorry Dele now). A lot of pace, strength and ability to draw several players to the ball there. Dembele is now slouch for interceptions etc either so doesn't make is stupidly prone to counter attacks etc..

The Liverpool game, for me, showed what an asset he could be in overloading and forcing the issue. I absolutely can see him, Moose and Alli on the same pitch at times. I think we will see Dele and Moose rested a little more this season, keeping them fresher overall. I maintain that if Poch does his stuff (like he did with Dembele in all honesty!) then we have made a great signing here...

The Liverpool game, for me, showed what an asset he could be in overloading and forcing the issue. I absolutely can see him, Moose and Alli on the same pitch at times. I think we will see Dele and Moose rested a little more this season, keeping them fresher overall. I maintain that if Poch does his stuff (like he did with Dembele in all honesty!) then we have made a great signing here...
Agreed Steff.

I'm going out on a limb here but I think, providing he stays injury free, Sissoko is going to be huge player for us. it will need good man management and a bit of ego stroking, I suspect, but I think Sissoko will feel he is playing a level that he deserves to play at and that befits his ability and therefore he will put in the performances. Different people respond to different motivating factors - Poch just needs to press the right buttons.

I'm going out on a limb here but I think, providing he stays injury free, Sissoko is going to be huge player for us. it will need good man management and a bit of ego stroking, I suspect, but I think Sissoko will feel he is playing a level that he deserves to play at and that befits his ability and therefore he will put in the performances. Different people respond to different motivating factors - Poch just needs to press the right buttons.

Now the dust has settled, do we think Sissoko has been brought in as cover for Dembele? A box to box midfielder (who can also play other positions). Stats show we're so dependent on Dembele and Poch needed effective cover? What a difference a year makes. The likes of parklane1 and milo believing Dembele's days were numbered a year ago!

Sissoko's best position is probably as the more attacking midfielder - like Dembele - or just in front of 2 CM in a midfield 3. He can carry the ball and commit defenders like Dembele, but although he's another coleuses, his dribbling style is totally different. More like Bale than Dembele in dribbling terms. Sissoko's end product and dribbling accuracy are obviously not in Bale's class. Yet its good to be compared to him, Sissoko could model himself and learn from Bale as there are similarities in the way they carry the ball.
  • He needs to improve his shooting - too many shots fly over the bar.
  • Will he get game time if Dembele is fit? Could Dembele and Sissoko both play CM? Would we score enough with 3 midfielders playing?
  • With Dembele out, Sissoko should help us, he should commit defences and create more openings for Kane. That ultimately is why he was signed imo.

Last edited:
I think Sissoko is going to be one of the 3 behind the striker and he will be awesome there. The idea that he has been bought as cover just doesn't feel right to me. He suits the Poch system down to the ground, and will probably be a pretty regular starter, occasionally giving N'koudou game time rotating with him. I see those two as our pacey dribbling options and we would really need at least one of them on the pitch. Dele and Dembele give us some of that but it's more of a Sissoko trait in attacking areas.

I think Sissoko is going to be one of the 3 behind the striker and he will be awesome there. The idea that he has been bought as cover just doesn't feel right to me. He suits the Poch system down to the ground, and will probably be a pretty regular starter, occasionally giving N'koudou game time rotating with him. I see those two as our pacey dribbling options and we would really need at least one of them on the pitch. Dele and Dembele give us some of that but it's more of a Sissoko trait in attacking areas.

He will have to earn his place first. We need Lamela in there and Eriksen will never be dropped it seems. Possibly instead of Alli, though the talk of his poor form is over the top.

Unless Poch actually starts to rotate properly and there won't be 11 first choice players and 11 backups.

Somebody's likely made the point already but from what I have seen of and read about Sissoko, he's pretty comfortable playing anywhere across or along the middle. This would suggest that he will provide competition/cover not just for Dembele but every one of our midfielders from Ericksen to Lamela to Alli to Dier.

With that being the case, he could be an invaluable signing for us. How we could have done with somebody like him coming on in place of any of the aforementioned during the final third of the game at Stamford Bridge last season when we were in desparate need of a powerful runner with fresh legs in the middle to wrest control back from Chelsea and counter the influence of Hazard.

I don't know about anyone else, but Sissoko has already reached cult status! Now all he has to do is play football.

Last edited:
He will have to earn his place first. We need Lamela in there and Eriksen will never be dropped it seems. Possibly instead of Alli, though the talk of his poor form is over the top.

Unless Poch actually starts to rotate properly and there won't be 11 first choice players and 11 backups.
This is the thing though, with the number of games we have it's important our 'backups' are as strong more or less as the first eleven. Obviously Poch will have his favoured strongest team but I'm not so sure there will be backup players this year,simply players being rotated more. I'm guessing Poch didn't rotate much previously because our squad players weren't of the same standard, other than in the full back area where it's very close and as such were rotated regularly. Now that has changed,we have very good depth AND quality in all areas now....

Somebody's likely made the point already but from what I have seen of and read about Sissoko, he's pretty comfortable playing anywhere across or along the middle. This would suggest that he will provide competition/cover not just for Dembele but every one of our midfielders from Ericksen to Lamela to Alli to Dier.

With that being the case, he could be an invaluable signing for us. How we could have done with somebody like him coming on in place of any of the aforementioned during the final third of the game at Stamford Bridge last season when we were in desparate need of a powerful runner with fresh legs in the middle to wrest control back from Chelsea and counter the influence of Hazard.

Out of curiosity, where has this been seen and written? I see quite a few posters have the same opinion, but I don't get where it's coming from.

Greg said in the transfer rumour thread that he's not a central/deep midfielder (paraphrasing). I'm sure he's watched Sissoko more than any of us. Whenever I've seen Sissoko be good for Saudi Sportswashing Machine he's played pretty clearly as an attacking midfielder. For France at the Euros he played primarily as an attacking midfielder. Deschamps chose Pogba for the deeper role, despite (imo) Pogba being better further forward at this time and not particularly disciplined when it comes to positioning and defensive work.

It would be great for us if it turns out Sissoko can play anywhere across or along the middle. But I just don't get where this impression is coming from at this point...

This is the thing though, with the number of games we have it's important our 'backups' are as strong more or less as the first eleven. Obviously Poch will have his favoured strongest team but I'm not so sure there will be backup players this year,simply players being rotated more. I'm guessing Poch didn't rotate much previously because our squad players weren't of the same standard, other than in the full back area where it's very close and as such were rotated regularly. Now that has changed,we have very good depth AND quality in all areas now....

Would agree with this, last year our options were not that strong from the bench. The more i look at our signings i would not be surprised if some of them play as much as the guys in position now.

Back