• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Morgan Schneiderlin

Once again.....

.......while the opinion that Xavi and / or Pirlo are superior to Modric might well be legitimately debatable, it's not exactly far out there into la-la land. It's not even remotely close to being ludicrous.

lol. without getting carried away in the wrong thread i will finish on this note.

throughout the years of watching barca and spain if i am to turn on my TV to watch either play, I will know to look to the part of my screen where the defence is and 10 times out of 10 I will find xavi lingering comfortably in front of the back 4. from game 1 of his career until the last game of his career without fail.

comparing that to a Luka Modric who is never pinned down, hurting teams all over the pitch and the one who actually takes the lead in instigating plays is in fact an argument in "la-la land"

xavi and pirlo are part of a puzzle.

iniesta and modric ARE the puzzle

Last edited:
xavi and pirlo for the most part linger between the defence and midfield picking the ball up unopposed to spray passes at their own pace.
modric is ALL OVER THE PITCH DICTATING the play. might i add in congested zones against players twice his size.

absolutely ludicrous to suggest xavi and pirlo are anywhere near modric. i would say xavi's weight of pass is technically the best in the world but it takes alot of other variables in his favour for him to be able to execute his skill.

modric MAKES things happen and relies on nobody to play his game. he's way more tactically advanced, way more mobile and can play his game anywhere. not just in front of the back four in a slow paced game.

even die hard pirlo fans say he has his limits. ever seen him make a tackle? if he played in the EPL in front of the back 4 the way he pays in italy he would have nowhere near as much luxury.

Agreed.
In fact, the love-in for Pirlo gets embarrassing. He is obviously a fine player but there are parameters to his effectiveness. The ****fest for him during the World Cup was silly, and ultimately shown to be over-hype. Xavi, again a fine player but (and forgive my ignorance) I haven't seen him alongside anyone other than Iniesta for most his career, a fact I think has greatly improved the player. Modric is a rarity; he has become the fulcrum of every side he's played for. Yes, Bale was excellent last season and Ronaldo is Ronaldo, but the critical difference was how Ancelotti played Modric (aside from playing him of course!) as it absolutely made Madrid what they were. Put it this way, you could move Modric to (say) Man Utd, and as long as the manager plays him in his correct position, he will make a massive difference. Neither Iniesta or Pirlo would IMO…

As for Schneiderlein, Saturday showed me exactly why Poch wants him. he is a massive upgrade on Capoue simply for his passing ability, and would also allow Bentaleb, Paulinho, whoever, the license to get forward more. Nabil is a genuine presence when allowed to attack. Let me say, however, props to Capoue for slotting in like he did to the back 4 once the sending off happened, ditto to Nabil for playing a game which is not his strongest positionally-speaking. Sandro's story is becoming very very sad…a wonderful presence, and player, when loved. And we love him. But I wonder if the love affair is over? A fully-fit/motivated and loved Sandro would be captain material IMO...

Agreed.
In fact, the love-in for Pirlo gets embarrassing. He is obviously a fine player but there are parameters to his effectiveness. The ****fest for him during the World Cup was silly, and ultimately shown to be over-hype. Xavi, again a fine player but (and forgive my ignorance) I haven't seen him alongside anyone other than Iniesta for most his career, a fact I think has greatly improved the player. Modric is a rarity; he has become the fulcrum of every side he's played for. Yes, Bale was excellent last season and Ronaldo is Ronaldo, but the critical difference was how Ancelotti played Modric (aside from playing him of course!) as it absolutely made Madrid what they were. Put it this way, you could move Modric to (say) Man Utd, and as long as the manager plays him in his correct position, he will make a massive difference. Neither Iniesta or Pirlo would IMO…

As for Schneiderlein, Saturday showed me exactly why Poch wants him. he is a massive upgrade on Capoue simply for his passing ability, and would also allow Bentaleb, Paulinho, whoever, the license to get forward more. Nabil is a genuine presence when allowed to attack. Let me say, however, props to Capoue for slotting in like he did to the back 4 once the sending off happened, ditto to Nabil for playing a game which is not his strongest positionally-speaking. Sandro's story is becoming very very sad…a wonderful presence, and player, when loved. And we love him. But I wonder if the love affair is over? A fully-fit/motivated and loved Sandro would be captain material IMO...

Exactly. Iniesta masks alot of Xavi's limitations. Iniesta and Modric are in the thick of the action. They don't have the luxury to chill in front of the back 4 and have a cup of tea before making a pass like xavi/pirlo position allows. Andreas and Luka have far more responsibility and therefore have more to be commended for when they actually dominate play.

so anyway.......Schneiderlin...... you signed yet or what?

Last edited:
depends on how they fit in the team. modric by the way he plays lingers on the ball a lot. but real have bale and ronaldo for unpredictability. but enough of other players.

at the moment schneiderlin is good but not a necessary addition to the team if poch is a good coach. there are many ways to skin the cat. we need to make the whole team click, and not just put all our hopes on just one of scheniderlin to fix the situation, we need depth, we need a system of play where all 25 players can make an impact. if we think schniderlin is the way then we should be looking for his younger double too.

depends on how they fit in the team. modric by the way he plays lingers on the ball a lot. but real have bale and ronaldo for unpredictability. but enough of other players.

at the moment schneiderlin is good but not a necessary addition to the team if poch is a good coach. there are many ways to skin the cat. we need to make the whole team click, and not just put all our hopes on just one of scheniderlin to fix the situation, we need depth, we need a system of play where all 25 players can make an impact. if we think schniderlin is the way then we should be looking for his younger double too.

thats why there is a need for schneiderlin. he makes a disjointed team come together with his positional sense, choice of pass and tactical awareness. he has that rare vision of being the instigator of a triangle to either play out of defense or create an offensive move leading to a shot on goal.
our other midfielders (except Bentaleb who has some way to go) are not that way inclined.
good coaching is one thing but having a ready made player is not a bad thing either. plus he can tackle and has a goal in him. and is only 24! he's not gonna stay southampton forever. if we don't get him now he will easily be at a champions league team eventually. id rather have him that any City midfielder for example. other than toure off course

he's better than matic
better than the fernands at city
better than fletcher
better than arteta
better than henderson/can

with him and sandro we can dominate teams

Last edited:

he's better than matic
better than fletcher
better than arteta

I would like him to be that good if he comes, but I'm not convinced. If he's that good, why are we (apart from the wenger****ers maybe) the only ones after him? I find that hard to believe.

Amazed at some of the posts in this thread about Xavi. If I had the time I would probably rant on about Xavi and the qualities he brings (or used to) to Barca but I fear it would be falling on deaf ears. The idea that Iniesta has somehow carried or masked any deficiencies Xavi had during his playing career is frankly ridiculous. To say that they compliment each other is a far more accurate way of looking at it. In fact the premise that he plays just in front of the Barca back four is incorrect to start with. That's where Busquets plays. Anyway I won't derail this thread any further.

lol. without getting carried away in the wrong thread i will finish on this note.

throughout the years of watching barca and spain if i am to turn on my TV to watch either play, I will know to look to the part of my screen where the defence is and 10 times out of 10 I will find xavi lingering comfortably in front of the back 4. from game 1 of his career until the last game of his career without fail.

comparing that to a Luka Modric who is never pinned down, hurting teams all over the pitch and the one who actually takes the lead in instigating plays is in fact an argument in "la-la land"

xavi and pirlo are part of a puzzle.

iniesta and modric ARE the puzzle

What you say about Modric merely describes a different type of player than Xavi. Not a better one. Incidentally, I don't know which games you've been watching if you believe that Xavi is always "lingering comfortably in front of the back 4". Not the same games as me, anyway.

But that's by the by. The point was about ludicrous opinions. It would indeed be ludicrous for anyone to suggest that......I dunno......Mark Noble (to be current).......is superior to Luka. But Xavi or Pirlo? Debatable, certainly. But a ludicrous suggestion? Never in a million years.

Amazed at some of the posts in this thread about Xavi. If I had the time I would probably rant on about Xavi and the qualities he brings (or used to) to Barca but I fear it would be falling on deaf ears. The idea that Iniesta has somehow carried or masked any deficiencies Xavi had during his playing career is frankly ridiculous. To say that they compliment each other is a far more accurate way of looking at it. In fact the premise that he plays just in front of the Barca back four is incorrect to start with. That's where Busquets plays. Anyway I won't derail this thread any further.

I hear ya!

I think that is EXACTLY what's been said mate. Indeed, it's fairer to maker the point that Xavi has been complemented by a player he's had alongside him for around a decade, which has allowed him the comfort of building the sort of relationship which benefits both team and players. I would absolutely still rather have Luka Modric than Xavi any day of the week, because Modric has done it with a variety of different team mates in a variety of different situations. Has Xavi ever played with mediocrity and helped it get better? No-one is talking of Xavi having deficiencies, just that he has had the luxury of time and relationship which so rarely comes to a professional player.

To keep on-topic, I think Schneiderlin would absolutely anchor our side in a way that would've made matches like Saturday, for example, much easier. Pus I'm learning to spell his name properly finally!!!!!

I think that is EXACTLY what's been said mate. Indeed, it's fairer to maker the point that Xavi has been complemented by a player he's had alongside him for around a decade, which has allowed him the comfort of building the sort of relationship which benefits both team and players. I would absolutely still rather have Luka Modric than Xavi any day of the week, because Modric has done it with a variety of different team mates in a variety of different situations. Has Xavi ever played with mediocrity and helped it get better? No-one is talking of Xavi having deficiencies, just that he has had the luxury of time and relationship which so rarely comes to a professional player.

To keep on-topic, I think Schneiderlin would absolutely anchor our side in a way that would've made matches like Saturday, for example, much easier. Pus I'm learning to spell his name properly finally!!!!!

These are not accurate statements and I don't have to stray further than this page to find examples.

they are not. not in a million years. ludicrous to suggest otherwise and i can give a million reasons why
Exaggerate much?! :)

I think you may need to find a setting between 0 and 11 if you want people to genuinely consider your opinions on this forum

It never ceases to amaze me how threads digress, you open it up expecting to read something specific and there's something totally irrelevant and pointless going on:lol:

thats why there is a need for schneiderlin. he makes a disjointed team come together with his positional sense, choice of pass and tactical awareness. he has that rare vision of being the instigator of a triangle to either play out of defense or create an offensive move leading to a shot on goal.
our other midfielders (except Bentaleb who has some way to go) are not that way inclined.
good coaching is one thing but having a ready made player is not a bad thing either. plus he can tackle and has a goal in him. and is only 24! he's not gonna stay southampton forever. if we don't get him now he will easily be at a champions league team eventually. id rather have him that any City midfielder for example. other than toure off course

he's better than matic
better than fletcher
better than arteta

fine if we builid our team around schneiderlin but what if he gets injured? do we have a plan B cos at the moment it seems we don't have any player close to him...i think (hope) all will be clear by the end of the silly season, no point speculating til then.

Schneiderlin & Musacchio ITK http://theboyhotspur.com/schneiderlin-musacchio-itk/?
Posted by: Harry Hotspur August 19, 2014 in Tottenham Hotspur 17 Comments

Had an interesting conversation yesterday with someone who has a far better grasp of what is going on in respect of both of these deals than the sports pages of the newspapers.
On Southampton’s Morgan Schneiderlin, the situation is relatively straight forward. Personal terms are agreed with Spurs and his club are painfully too aware of this. He wants to come to us.
Aside from the Saints still looking to bring in and shuffle players around, the real issue is money. And despite an offer of £17million, the price has been set at £20million. So a deal is very much there to be done.
The problem of course, then harks back to yesterday’s blog. In order for Spurs to accommodate an inflated fee, and of course the wages of Morgan, it would be helpful if one or two of our existing players – who are hanging on for grim death – did the right thing and joined Hull

fine if we builid our team around schneiderlin but what if he gets injured? do we have a plan B cos at the moment it seems we don't have any player close to him...i think (hope) all will be clear by the end of the silly season, no point speculating til then.
I've always assumed that Bentaleb would be his understudy

No to Morgan Schneiderlin.
Yes to Xavi.

Seriously though Morgan Schneiderlin is not anything special and offers no more than what we already have. We just sold Sigurdsson because he couldn't get a game - its not exactly a position we are short of players in.

I'd rather keep the £17m and pour it into youth team development. To give give perspective that money could pay for 40 additional full time youth team coaches (on 40k p.a.) for ten years!

Let's stop thinking we can sign a team in a market driven by Madrid, City, Chelsea, PSG, Utd etc. We cannot afford the players we need to improve the 1st team.

No to Morgan Schneiderlin.
Yes to Xavi.

Seriously though Morgan Schneiderlin is not anything special and offers no more than what we already have. We just sold Sigurdsson because he couldn't get a game - its not exactly a position we are short of players in.

I'd rather keep the £17m and pour it into youth team development. To give give perspective that money could pay for 40 additional full time youth team coaches (on 40k p.a.) for ten years!

Let's stop thinking we can sign a team in a market driven by Madrid, City, Chelsea, PSG, Utd etc. We cannot afford the players we need to improve the 1st team.

First off, Schneiderlin is a completely different type of midfielder to Siggy.

Secondly, we already do invest good money in one of the best academies in the country. And while you're right that we need to give our best graduates space and opportunity to work their way into the first team squad, we also need to supplement the squad with astute and well targeted signings if we are to remain competitive.

Back