• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mohamed Diame

Well he's been pretty damn good this season. A strong box to box combative Central midfielder with a £3.5m release clause who has rejected Spammers offer of a new deal. He looks Gooner bound sadly but if there was a chance would people want him here?

Please lets not start with this "oh but his Agent fees" crap...every footballer has the same damn thing.

Well he's been pretty damn good this season. A strong box to box combative Central midfielder with a £3.5m release clause who has rejected Spammers offer of a new deal. He looks Gooner bound sadly but if there was a chance would people want him here?

Please lets not start with this "oh but his Agent fees" crap...every footballer has the same damn thing.

If we're looking to get a CM on the cheap then I would have thought that Sissoko of TOulouse would be better. 22 yrs old, French international and out of contract in the summer

I dont understand the recent talk of signing a CM though as a result of Sandro's injury. We still have Parker, a top class dm, and Livermore as cover for Parker (even though I'm not JL's biggest fan). What do you do when Sandro's back if you sign another DM?

If we're looking to get a CM on the cheap then I would have thought that Sissoko of TOulouse would be better. 22 yrs old, French international and out of contract in the summer

I dont understand the recent talk of signing a CM though as a result of Sandro's injury. We still have Parker, a top class dm, and Livermore as cover for Parker (even though I'm not JL's biggest fan). What do you do when Sandro's back if you sign another DM?

Diame isn't a DM though...he's just a far better version of Jake Livermore.

Been a fan since seeing him against us last season, think he scored too.

Heard he's only got a £3.5m buyout fee or something. That would be a steal for any team in the Premier League. I'd be saddened if Arsenal snapped him up.

Tottenham aim to tempt Mohamed Diamé from West Ham for £3.5m

• Arsenal, Everton and Fulham also interested
• 'I am very happy at West Ham' – Diamé

David Hytner
The Guardian, Thursday 24 January 2013 22.00 GMT

Tottenham Hotspur are considering whether to meet Mohamed Diamé's £3.5m release clause at West Ham United and tempt the midfielder across London this month, with the club's chairman, Daniel Levy, coming to view the midfielder as an interesting investment.

André Villas-Boas, the Tottenham manager, would love to sign the midfielder João Moutinho, a player he worked with during his time in charge at Porto and whom he unsuccessfully attempted to bring to White Hart Lane last summer. But back then, Moutinho's price proved prohibitive – it was upwards of £20m – and he is similarly out of reach now.

Diamé has emerged as a more viable option due to his well-publicised release clause, and Tottenham are one of a number of clubs to have been alerted; Arsenal, Everton and Fulham are also interested. The 25-year-old Senegalese was used only as a late substitute in West Ham's 5-1 Premier League defeat at Arsenal on Wednesday night, sparking the conspiracy theorists to life. But Sam Allardyce, the West Ham manager, insisted that the move was based purely on technical reasons and the club have closed ranks around the player, who is happy at Upton Park and grateful to Allardyce for the faith that he has placed in him. Diamé, who signed as a free agent from Wigan Athletic last summer, even released a statement to reassure West Ham's supporters about his commitment.

"I know there are people out there saying things about me, but I have spoken with the manager and told him that I want to stay here," Diamé said on West Ham's website. "I know the club want to keep me too, so I will continue to give my best for them. I knew when I signed that West Ham were going to make their mark on the Premier League. Since I came here, I am enjoying every game I play on the pitch. I think I made a good choice because I am very happy at this club."

Allardyce has admitted that the January window is a deeply unsettling time for him and the situation over Diamé is made difficult by the clause, and the associated power of clubs with Champions League aspirations to turn the midfielder's head. West Ham, though, have yet to receive a bid for Diamé and Allardyce would not welcome one. "He is our player and hopefully, come 1 February, he will still be our player," Allardyce said.

Villas-Boas has lost the midfielder Sandro for the rest of the season to knee ligament surgery and he has asked Levy to bring forward the transfer of Lewis Holtby from Schalke to this month's window. The attacking midfielder has signed a pre-contract to move to White Hart Lane in the summer.

If Diamé were to be tempted, it may allow Villas-Boas to reassess the futures of Tom Huddlestone and Jake Livermore. Fulham and Queens Park Rangers are interested in both of them. Villas-Boas is reluctant to sanction the release of Huddlestone, in particular.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/24/tottenham-mohamed-diame-west-ham

palacios mk II i think.. would look decidedly average in a top team.

I get the comprison, I just think he's more technically skilled and at just 3.5M I can fully understand our interest. Jake seems to be going out on loan, but we still got Parker, Dembele, Huddlestone, Carrol for the two CM spots. He would be a bargain, but I really think the priority should be to bring in Holtby and a forward.

Diame only averages 25 passes per game - not much better than *Defoe*. I'm not saying that tikitaka passers are automatically better midfielders, or else Britton would be the best CM in the league, but a CM with 25 passes per game is extremely worrisome in a team that's already bereft of passers, much less visionary playmaking ones.

Moreover, we have to be very careful with our funds. Even if it is a "bargain", there is no reason to spend money + wages on another defensive midfielder when we are sorely in need of creativity and striking prowess in the final third.

The number of passes is a West Ham thing. Of players with more than two games only Noble has managed significantly more with 55. The rest are between 17 and 32.

The number of passes is a West Ham thing. Of players with more than two games only Noble has managed significantly more with 55. The rest are between 17 and 32.

I understand he doesn't get much opportunity to show off his passing range, but I'd still feel much more comfortable with a midfielder who has proven himself an astute passer in a pass-and-move side. He was good at Wigan but I wonder if that's because Wigan are a bunch of powderpuffs who help a tackler stand out.

I would love to see us get Diame in, as I think he'd be a bargain at that price and it would fudge off the Hammers a treat.

He wouldn't be a first choice, but if he was okay about being a squad player, who'd get plenty of game time, especially while we're still in both Cups as well, then get him in I say.

Incidentally, despite my joy at turning over the Hammers, again. I'd actually rather us pay what Schalke want and get Holtby in, but if that's not to be then Diame for me, would be a good deal.

Last edited:
I understand he doesn't get much opportunity to show off his passing range, but I'd still feel much more comfortable with a midfielder who has proven himself an astute passer in a pass-and-move side. He was good at Wigan but I wonder if that's because Wigan are a bunch of powderpuffs who help a tackler stand out.

well, find his Wigan stats and then you can make a comparison. Wigan(pass and move)....West Spam(long ball merchants)

well, find his Wigan stats and then you can make a comparison. Wigan(pass and move)....West Spam(long ball merchants)

I'm really struggling to find stats for last season :(

I did find an EPLIndex article comparing him last season to West Ham's players in 2010/2011 though, with this table:

untitled.png

Of course that's useless if not on a per-game basis. Diame started 18 games with 8 sub apps for Wigan last season, so that's about 24 passes per game for Wigan if we go by the Whoscored method of counting subs as full games (unfair, I know - it's why Siggy has something like "11 passes per game" right now :lol:).

For comparison, Noble in 2010/11 had 25 starts + 1 sub, so that's 41 passes per game; Nolan with 28 passes per game (30 starts for Saudi Sportswashing Machine).

I'm not sure how trustworthy these stats are though. I'll do some more digging; I've been thinking about subscribing to OPTA stats for a while.

Average passes: 28,2
Average key passes 0,7
Passing succes %: 83,9

Source: whoscored.com

There we go! I wasn't far off :)

But yeah, that's way too low to be comfortable for me. 3.5m for yet another squad player when we're in such need for a first-choice striker is no joke.

There we go! I wasn't far off :)

But yeah, that's way too low to be comfortable for me. 3.5m for yet another squad player when we're in such need for a first-choice striker is no joke.

Agree, if money really is that tight it makes no sense to buy a squad player for a position we are well stacked in, as a creative midfielder and a striker are much more required at the moment. However IF we can get these things sorted I think a 25 year old Diamé is an absolute bargain at 3,5M.

Back