• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

modric & parker lack of goals

fabman

Gerry McMahon
hi guys first post so go easy ;)

as good as players modric & parker are , they contribute almost zero goals between them . these 2 have been at the heart of our midfield and to come up with the tiny amount they have effects the team .

if the opposition know they offer almost no goal threat then they play to that .

at least when thew hudd is fit he can test the keeper from range

of course we still need 1-2 new quality strikers as well, Adebayor is a good striker but is not always up for it & defoe is good but not top 4 quality !

spurs need to play with far more intensity and urgency than they do as well , the likes of manu arse etc know when to step it up but too many times especially recently spurs seem to be just cruising through games, maybe some of them are tired ? arry dsent like to rotate does he ..

martin tyler made an interesting comment the other day when he suggested that stats showed spurs can only play well for one half of a game..

we massively need a win tonight !

COYS

as good as players modric & parker are , they contribute almost zero goals between them . these 2 have been at the heart of our midfield and to come up with the tiny amount they have effects the team .

if the opposition know they offer almost no goal threat then they play to that .

of course we still need 1-2 new quality strikers as well, Adebayor is a good striker but is not always up for it & defoe is good but not top 4 quality !

spurs need to play with far more intensity and urgency than they do as well , the likes of manu arse etc know when to step it up but too many times especially recently spurs seem to be just cruising through games, maybe some of them are tired ? arry dsent like to rotate does he ..

martin tyler made an interesting comment the other day when he suggested that stats showed spurs can only play well for one half of a game..

COYS

I do agree they need to score goals however the rest of the attack should be contributing more. I do think that as a partnership they flatter to deceive as a lot of the time Modric has to drop deeper to make up for Parker's lack of creativity and passing ability. Also they do not really dominate the physical games as both are not the biggest nor the strongest; you need one big man to play in CM as well I think.

They dont need to score goals,Parker is a defensive monster and Modric creates the third most chances in the league,in addition to scoring 3 goals.
Besides,Huddlestone as much as I rate him,averages only 2 league goals a season himself,but then again,he is not there to score.The problem is only when you add Sandro to the mix,and then you have basically 2 players which usually never score and 1 who scores very rarely.

I hope the days of the 433 are over and we can revert back to 442 and 4231

Definately a talking point, and is widely discussed in various threads.

Personally, I feel that neither need to score goals to be a major part of the side. I think if Ade was more clinical, and Lennon scored more often, as well as Defoe being used way more than he is, we would be fine.

I think we would lose alot more games with Parker and Modric charging forward too often.

They dont need to score goals,Parker is a defensive monster and Modric creates the third most chances in the league,in addition to scoring 3 goals.
Besides,Huddlestone as much as I rate him,averages only 2 league goals a season himself,but then again,he is not there to score.The problem is only when you add Sandro to the mix,and then you have basically 2 players which usually never score and 1 who scores very rarely.

I hope the days of the 433 are over and we can revert back to 442 and 4231

depends on the quality of chances......for example, a simple 5 yard sideways pass to VDV and VDV shooting at goal from 25 yards counts as Modric creating a chance

Definately a talking point, and is widely discussed in various threads.

Personally, I feel that neither need to score goals to be a major part of the side. I think if Ade was more clinical, and Lennon scored more often, as well as Defoe being used way more than he is, we would be fine.

I think we would lose alot more games with Parker and Modric charging forward too often.

Someone needs to find out where he lives; and let him know that whenever he crosses the halfway line i'm going to kill a kitten.

I'm not particularly bothered about Parker not getting on the scoresheet, but I do think Modrić ought to score more. He gets the shooting opportunities, but converts hardly any of them, because most of the time he looks like that aspect of his coaching is handled by Diana Ross.

depends on the quality of chances......for example, a simple 5 yard sideways pass to VDV and VDV shooting at goal from 25 yards counts as Modric creating a chance
Yeah,and then there are chances like

40 yard brilliant pass to Bale against Swansea
through ball to Adebayor leaving him 1on1 with the keeper against Chelsea
return pass for VdV against Chelsea
his great 2 set pieces for gallas and bale

thats only from 2 games...
If you go on youtube,there is 7 or 8 minutes compilations of Modric from single games,that just shows how influental he is and how much he actually creates for us

I do agree they need to score goals however the rest of the attack should be contributing more. I do think that as a partnership they flatter to deceive as a lot of the time Modric has to drop deeper to make up for Parker's lack of creativity and passing ability. Also they do not really dominate the physical games as both are not the biggest nor the strongest; you need one big man to play in CM as well I think.

Modric is not dropping back to make up for Parker's lack of creativity, it is the roles that they play in our team. Parker and Modric provide a stable base on which Adebayor, VdV, Bale and Lennon can attack with freedom. The great thing about Modric is that he rarely wastes possession; he is strong on the ball and can always find a positive pass, he always plays the ball into space for a team mate to run onto and there is no one better than him in the league at playing a pass through a tight gap. If he plays further forwards then he would have less space to play these passes.

COYS

Who was our midfield pairing when we went on our run of consecutive win's this season ?

Much as I rate modders, he should be scoring more (sounds like jenas). We need goals from all over the pitch, everyone needs to contribute.

Modric has 3 league goal for the season.
Compare that to United central midfielders.

Scholes 3
Anderson 2
Carrick 2
Giggs 2

Much as I rate modders, he should be scoring more (sounds like jenas). We need goals from all over the pitch, everyone needs to contribute.

As long as the players further forward are scoring, he should concentrate on doing what he is in the team to do.

Thats actually trying to create something and taking the attacking initiative rather than if he were playing keep ball with Kaboul and Gallas with us going nowhere whilst we are struggling for a winner.

Modric is not dropping back to make up for Parker's lack of creativity, it is the roles that they play in our team. Parker and Modric provide a stable base on which Adebayor, VdV, Bale and Lennon can attack with freedom. The great thing about Modric is that he rarely wastes possession; he is strong on the ball and can always find a positive pass, he always plays the ball into space for a team mate to run onto and there is no one better than him in the league at playing a pass through a tight gap. If he plays further forwards then he would have less space to play these passes.
If Parker got the ball to modric quicker the opposition would have less time to close the other attackers down allowing us to act quickly in attack.

Thats actually trying to create something and taking the attacking initiative rather than if he were playing keep ball with Kaboul and Gallas with us going nowhere whilst we are struggling for a winner.

When has Modric done that?

Captain Scotty?

When has Modric done that?
Indianspur was paraphrasing a post that was used about Parker's pass completion and changed the name to modric and the bit about pass completion to chance creation. A bit of tongue in cheek banter about the whole modric v parker thing.

Larsson and Arteta are the only central midfielders who have scored significantly more than Luka this season, with 7 each. And I think a good few of those are from direct free-kicks.

The 'Modric and Goals' debate always comes up, and I think we should all be able to agree on three things:

a) players who play in a two-man central midfield rarely score lots of goals.
b) Still, Luka could score a couple more if his shooting was better (without having to change the way he plays).
c) Even so, shooting is not the most important attribute for his position, and he more than makes up for it by being brilliant at practically everything else.

As far as the threat title goes, they're not in the team for their goals, neither of them is a 10 goals per season midfielder, no one expected them to be. We have Bale on the left, Ade up front and usually VDV behind Ade, the majority of the team goals come from those positions.

The point about cruising is a fair point. It'd be nice to see a series of one touch passes going forward for once.

Back