• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

Re: Will Modric leave now?

I think the important question if and when Modric leaves is how will we be able to attract other top players ? I think unlike Arsenal who have great recent history, we will struggle to convince top players to join us when we can't keep the existing ones.

It doesn't help that we have to sell before we buy. The we really like you but have to wait to see what happens with Modric line is hardly an impressive sales pitch. Top players want certainty and can afford to wait.

I'm conflicted. While I accept that we are probably better off ending this saga and moving on, I'd be really tinkled off if Madrid get him on the cheap.
What would you define as 'cheap'?

I heard that Madrid offered £35 million including add-ons a while back - that is a lot of money!

What would you define as 'cheap'?

I heard that Madrid offered £35 million including add-ons a while back - that is a lot of money!

That's about where I'd be inclined to accept, as long as its over £30m plus reasonable add-ons. A few weeks ago I'd have said £35m plus add-ons.

The trouble is, rightly or wrongly, the £40m figure has become the number and its hard not to start there. Levy might have had a lower target in mind all along, as long as its paid upfront. We don't know what Madrid have offered and perhaps they are not so far apart. As we don't know, we tend to fear the worst and fear getting a bad last minute deal. I certainly don't envy Levy the decision.

That's about where I'd be inclined to accept, as long as its over £30m plus reasonable add-ons. A few weeks ago I'd have said £35m plus add-ons.

The trouble is, rightly or wrongly, the £40m figure has become the number and its hard not to start there. Levy might have had a lower target in mind all along, as long as its paid upfront. We don't know what Madrid have offered and perhaps they are not so far apart. As we don't know, we tend to fear the worst and fear getting a bad last minute deal. I certainly don't envy Levy the decision.
Yeah that's the unfortunate part of it - you hear all these numbers being banded around but the only people that can be sure if they're correct would be Levy and his cronies. Levy obviously wants £40 million, probably because Chelsea offered that last summer. Whether or not his valuation has been skewed because of that is debatable.

I just want the whole ordeal over with.

I think the important question if and when Modric leaves is how will we be able to attract other top players ? I think unlike Arsenal who have great recent history, we will struggle to convince top players to join us when we can't keep the existing ones.

I think we will be viewed as a stepping stone for most European players until we can challenge consistently for honours. I don't mean it in a derogatory way, Arsenal are in the same boat now.

^ i think the Modric thing is only good for us - firstly it shows prospective signings that if they do well here we will have given them a platform to impress the top level clubs and secondly by not bending over and giving in to RM we show that we are ambitious ourselves and are trying to build a successful team (this is also a great thing to show our existing players)

i don't think by sticking to our guns with the Modric deal that we are putting people off signing for us

Just get the deal done now so we can get a replacement. We have already shown we won't bend over and take it up the arse from Real, now just move him on.

Real are desperate now, 5 points behind Barca. Levy can smell blood.

This deal has been a game, of that I have no doubt. But even if Levy extracts more out of this deal (my assumption it is done already) Levy's bigger worry is ensuring his approach to this market, which I believe has hamstrung AVB, does not cost us points.

This deal has been a game, of that I have no doubt. But even if Levy extracts more out of this deal (my assumption it is done already) Levy's bigger worry is ensuring his approach to this market, which I believe has hamstrung AVB, does not cost us points.

It already has cost us points.

It already has cost us points.

I didn't want to say, wanted to avoid that debate. But yes, the uncertainly and lack of strength in key areas has cost us imo. I also believe AVB is finding out working with Levy is not what he expected. Probably all sounded great during the interviewing phase but that they have already diverged on transfer policy. No basis for this, just a feeling. Levy wants control, and you also have Sherwood in the mix. Whatever the truth AVB has been done over so far by our own chairman imo.

Last edited:

Real are desperate now, 5 points behind Barca. Levy can smell blood.

So that's pretty much the title for Barca, assuming they can get a point in the El Firm games. Madrid may as well wait for Modric until next year.

Last edited:

So that's pretty much the title for Barca, assuming they can get a point in the El Firm games. Madrid may as well wait for Modric until next year.

Sorry but how can you possibly deduct they've lost the title based on 2 games into the season - there are 36 left to play, plus the table means very little until Matchday 10, at the very least.

Medical today at 11am according to spanish media. 5 year deal. Deal done last night. Madrid were worried that Levy changed price last minute.

Way too early in the morning to recognise anything other than the strict literal meaning in a sentence.

Re: Modric Gone At Last

Offical

CLUB ANNOUNCES PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT WITH REAL MADRID AND TRANSFER OF LUKA MODRIC

The Club can announce that it has signed a partnership agreement with Real Madrid FC and reached agreement for the transfer of Luka Modric, subject to medical, to the Spanish club.

The partnership agreement will see the two Clubs working together in respect of players, coaching, best practices and commercial relationships.

Real Madrid FC President, Florentino Perez Rodriguez, said, "The strong relationship and affinity between our two clubs has resulted in the cementing of a longer-term partnership and the successful transfer of Luka Modric. We are delighted to welcome Luka and look forward to working closely with Tottenham in the coming years."

Daniel Levy, Chairman, Tottenham Hotspur, commented, "Luka has been a terrific player for us and, whilst we preferred not to part with him, we are pleased that it is to Real Madrid, a club with which we now look forward to sharing a long and productive partnership."

Luka made 160 appearances for the Club, scoring 17 goals after joining from Dinamo Zagreb in the summer of 2008.

We wish him well for the future.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/club-announcement-27082012.page?

Re: Modric Gone At Last

Sad to see him go from a playing sense, but glad he's gone from a business/disruption sense. Let's sort out some players for AVB now please.

Back