• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mitt Romney the next new leader of the free world!!!

Pretty ignorant comment. Romney is very articulate and intelligent, and I happen to think he'd do a far better job with the economy than Obama has during his first term. I think Romney has a pretty good shot at beating Obama, because frankly, Obama sold a dream and in four years failed to deliver entirely. Part of that is because the Republicans won the house and have been stymieing him, but it's also very much his fault and burden.

The Democrats don't win because they never get anything done. They're a bunch of pussies who lose. They talk a big game, always have grand big government ideas, and then always shoot themselves in the foot. You may not agree with the Republican philosophy, but they are effective.

Btw, I voted for Obama in 2008. I am not voting for him this year.

Outrageous!
Obviously Romney must have a certain degree of articulation, but if you think he has enough wherewithal to deal with international politics, then you, Sir, are wrong. Totally wrong.

(EDITED...WE NEED A LIVE DEBATE, THIS FORUM WON'T WORK ;-) )

Make voting compulsory and don't let just anybody run for office whilst you're at it.

Republicans are trying to make it harder for people to vote in some states by requiring them to show state-issued IDs, which would benefit Republicans because many poorer people in urban centers don't have ID. Their excuse is that it will help to combat voter fraud... except voter fraud isn't a problem.

Outrageous!
Obviously Romney must have a certain degree of articulation, but if you think he has enough wherewithal to deal with international politics, then you, Sir, are wrong. Totally wrong.

=D>

The amount of filibusters have been insane and don't allow for a simple majority to pass in the Senate. Every time they filibuster, they need at least 60 votes (I think). There's a reason this Congress has been voted The Worst Congress Ever. It's because they're full of dipbricks unwilling to compromise and throwing our nation's credit rating into the tracks. The brinkmanship has been absurd. If you call that balls and getting things done, then they should rename the Republicans into the Regressives.

how are some of you still up? it's half past midnight here.

Namely, their strongly Christian backing has forced many a politician to be against gay rights and abortion. Against immigration. Against climate change science.

The most fascinating/scary part of all this is how the Republican Party have managed to convince a significant portion of the electorate, ie. the GHod-fearing Christian Conservatives, that THEY are the party which represents the views that Jesus Christ would have had if he were alive today. Jesus was the ultimate sandal-wearing progressive, and the Republicans have successfully managed to contort that into an agenda that happens to be in perfect aligned with that off Big Business.

I have lived in the US for almost 15 years now, and the levels of ignorance in the voting public with regards to their understanding of policy is without a doubt my least favorite part of living in this amazing country.

The Daily Show with John Stewart is back on the air in the UK. He pretty much sums up my opinions on the political world better than I can. The smartest guy on television.

Are you being serious NYSpur? Obama doesn't compare to Mittens when it comes to flip-flapping, in fact I'm not sure that any politician in the world does. Romney, other than Huntsman, was the least frightening option out of the Republican candidates and yet the man is a total macaron. All of the others I could pin their views down, something I still struggle to do with Romney. I know he likes to make money. I know he likes to make money by firing people. But other than that, what are his views? They change based on who he is talking to.

The man also wants to start a trade war with China and an actual war with Iran. He comes to the UK and manages to offend just about everyone he meets, after saying he wants to re-ignite the special Anglo-Saxon relationship.

Rasmussen polls are an absolute joke as well. Reliable maybe if you add about 5 points to the Democrat candidate.

[video=youtube;ZMndjLIQUFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZMndjLIQUFw [/video]
Great for the economy too.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html

They're pretty close nationally. Obama seems to be acing it in the swing states though. I think the election will be closer than it should be but I also think, barring a complete collapse in the Eurozone or some trouble in the ME, Romney won't win all of Florida, Ohio, North Carolina or Virginia and if he doesn't win all of them, I see very little chance of him becoming the new President.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

The electoral college votes will go to Obama imo.

And frankly, I think the rest of the world will breathe a huge sigh of relief.

But, its politics, its the US, where universal healthcare is regarded with suspicion and the worldwide economy is still poor. Anything can happen I guess.

528765_501879119829641_217178426_n.jpg

557912_504278412923045_813654194_n.jpg

531470_497853996898820_1985289177_n.jpg

529407_494850807199139_598959378_n.jpg

You'd think Americans would still be able to remember the 8 years of Bush that almost brought their country to its knees. Instead, a very large number seem willing to vote, yet again, for the same kind of individuals.

And Marky, you asked about what Obama has achieved:

http://3chicspolitico.com/president-obamas-accomplishments/
http://obamaachievements.org/
http://obamaachievements.org/list

I don't agree that all of those are 'achievements'. I don't think Obama has done an amazing job. He's a far less scary proposition though, both domestically and internationally. Being born into money and power and then going into business to fire people and make quick money does not qualify you to run an economy like the USA's.

I don't agree that all of those are 'achievements'. I don't think Obama has done an amazing job. He's a far less scary proposition though, both domestically and internationally. Being born into money and power and then going into business to fire people and make quick money does not qualify you to run an economy like the USA's.

I think that pretty much sums up the views of the majority of people I know, myself included.

Considering how Romney has made his money he is not one to talk about job growth and trade wars.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Bush give away around a trillion in tax cuts to his rich pals

Outrageous!

Let's do it. You call the BBC, I'll get CNN. We'll air that brick live.

528765_501879119829641_217178426_n.jpg

557912_504278412923045_813654194_n.jpg

531470_497853996898820_1985289177_n.jpg

529407_494850807199139_598959378_n.jpg

You'd think Americans would still be able to remember the 8 years of Bush that almost brought their country to its knees. Instead, a very large number seem willing to vote, yet again, for the same kind of individuals.

And Marky, you asked about what Obama has achieved:

http://3chicspolitico.com/president-obamas-accomplishments/
http://obamaachievements.org/
http://obamaachievements.org/list

You realize that you just excoriated Rasmussen for being biased and thereafter used the most liberal of blogs/websites/memes to back up your point that Obama has done a good job for this country, right?

And btw, if you want to dismiss Rasmussen as biased, surely you can't dismiss the NY Times (being the bastion of liberal journalism and all).
"Forty-five percent say they would vote for Mr. Romney if the election were held now and 43 percent say they would vote for Mr. Obama.

When undecided voters who lean toward a particular candidate are included, Mr. Romney has 47 percent to Mr. Obama’s 46 percent."

Last edited:
So criticizing Olympic security makes a man one without convictions? That's new. Maybe you disagree with his criticism, but that doesn't fit into your description whatsoever.

If a friend of yours invited you round to their house to have dinner, would you tell them that the food is crap/the house is a mess? That's essentially what Romney did.

If a friend of yours invited you round to their house to have dinner, would you tell them that the food is crap/the house is a mess? That's essentially what Romney did.

You misunderstand my statement. I totally understand the response to what he said. But I don't think what he said makes him a man without conviction, as was argued earlier in this thread.

The Daily Show with John Stewart is back on the air in the UK. He pretty much sums up my opinions on the political world better than I can. The smartest guy on television.

He really does know his stuff. He more than holds his own when he appears on that taco Bill O'Reilly's show, in fact, he makes him look like a buffoon!

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Bush give away around a trillion in tax cuts to his rich pals

The right-wing mindset is that they're all just temporarily making $30k a year, but soon will be bestowed with many riches and will need those tax cuts. It's a sick and twisted version of the American Dream that is so out of touch with reality.

I saw some clown on Fox News arguing that the American public needs to be thanking the rich. When taxes as low as they have ever been, none of the arguments from the right hold any water. The fact that Romney the Reptilian didn't release all his tax documents for the past decade (contrary to his father, who did release around a decade's worth of tax forms) speaks volumes to me.

This election has me worried. A few of you mentioned that some voters will NEVER vote for Obama, even if the candidates are Madonna and Obama.
Even if Obama wins this election, the Republicans will likely retain the house despite what a joke they've been.

Finally, anyone claiming that "both sides of the political spectrum are guilty of the same crime" nonsense is always a right-winger/conservative. Thanks to the Tea Party, the right has been tipped over the edge. The kinds of people that cheer for the death penalty and people being uninsured keep moving the goalposts to the right, which plays right into big industry's hands. Financial crisis-->less regulation? If they're given so much freedom, why aren't they creating so many more jobs? I thought the rich were the job creators? Oh, that's right. These are fabricated lies repeated ad nauseum to continue to convince Americans that the wealthy, not just the top 1% but the top .1%, are the benefactors of this nation when they are really the beneficiaries.

He really does know his stuff. He more than holds his own when he appears on that taco Bill O'Reilly's show, in fact, he makes him look like a buffoon!

Destroys him every time.
Also funny to see Colbert on O'Reilly because he goes in-character and O'Reilly essentially has to play along.

I think the Daily Show would run out of material if it weren't for Fox.

One party believes in empirical evidence. The other lives in an illusion. I don't think I need to say which is which.
The right's beliefs actually do affect policy in very negative ways. Namely, their strongly Christian backing has forced many a politician to be against gay rights and abortion. Against immigration. Against climate change science.

Republicans still believe in the myth of Obama's giant stimulus, most of which were the tax cuts from the Bush administration. 50% still believe Obama wasn't born in the US. Active denial of the truth eventually convinces them otherwise. They will spread these lies through the media (Limbaugh is a prick). Universal health care is great, but I agree, Obama should be doing more and is unfortunately a politician. However, I'm banking on him being more ballsy his second term because he doesn't have to worry about re-election. He's been too soft on Wall Street as well, without a single major conviction yet, despite all the nonsense that's going on lately (like LIBOR). But to pick Romney over Obama? Romney is basically in bed with Wall Street, receiving money from the Poch brothers among others. A contortionist, he never looks comfortable.

And by the way, since Fox News is the highest rated news network and I can only conclude that most viewers that watch it are misinformed. I found it funny that Glen Beck was actually too crazy for them. And NewYorkSpur, when I said knowing about our politics, I meant knowing about how our politics REALLY work. Not in terms of the candidates and their platforms but in the knowledge that large industry controls many facets of politics. Also in terms of foreign relations. But honestly, I do think many people are deluded here, mostly thanks to religion.

Fox news is the highest rated because it has the clearest narrative. They are a haven for the Republican party and do their bidding. Hence why so many right wing people watch it.

Back