• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Micky van de Ven

This is huge. What a confidence builder for a new young player to hear this.
One of the anecdotes you may have heard when Ange was appointed was around one of his defenders who made 2 mistakes to concede 2 goals very early under Ange's managership (maybe in Australia) and he backed him to the hilt saying that the guy was playing the way he wanted and so he'd accept some mistakes as he was trying to follow instructions.

One of the anecdotes you may have heard when Ange was appointed was around one of his defenders who made 2 mistakes to concede 2 goals very early under Ange's managership (maybe in Australia) and he backed him to the hilt saying that the guy was playing the way he wanted and so he'd accept some mistakes as he was trying to follow instructions.

Common statement

- Player/Team makes a mistake, Ange owns it
- Player/Team is successful, team gets credit

fudge, what a change of culture

It was the team he backed
He said that he knew they got it when after going one goal down they still played the same way
Tow goals down… the same way
That team won the title

I agree he could have challenged better for the first goal as should porro but in general he was excellent on and off the ball. His contribution for the 4th goal was excellent, took the long ball down muscled passed the first challenge and got taken down by the second got back up to win the loose ball setting up the attack through udogie. I am not one to get to carried away by players but he is going to be one of the best defenders in the world within a few years.
If you were talking about Gvardiol, I'd say "yeah sure we all know that," but you are really putting your balls on the line with that statement. Most of us never even heard of Micky three-four months ago. Personally, even when we were linked with him and Tapsoba, I was hoping we'd bring in Tapsoba. Maybe VdV was our real target all along and the other targets were just smokescreens.

I've obviously been impressed with his showings so far as he's come into a new league and team with a week of training at the club and slots in immediately like he's been there all along. If this were Poch, Jose, Conte... this guy would be on the bench for three years before he's even considered to start a match. I'm very impressed with Ange's man management and it's a breath of fresh air.

So much to like in what van de Ven says there, but I especially liked him saying :"It is so much fun playing football at Tottenham." We can all appreciate how much of a difference it makes enjoying your job compared to just tolerating it or going through the motions. Early days and all that of course but this augurs well.

So much to like in what van de Ven says there, but I especially liked him saying :"It is so much fun playing football at Tottenham." We can all appreciate how much of a difference it makes enjoying your job compared to just tolerating it or going through the motions. Early days and all that of course but this augurs well.

An environment where freedom and expression of play is encouraged and there is no blame is likely to breed less mistakes.

No wonder they are enjoying it

If you were talking about Gvardiol, I'd say "yeah sure we all know that," but you are really putting your balls on the line with that statement. Most of us never even heard of Micky three-four months ago. Personally, even when we were linked with him and Tapsoba, I was hoping we'd bring in Tapsoba. Maybe VdV was our real target all along and the other targets were just smokescreens.

I've obviously been impressed with his showings so far as he's come into a new league and team with a week of training at the club and slots in immediately like he's been there all along. If this were Poch, Jose, Conte... this guy would be on the bench for three years before he's even considered to start a match. I'm very impressed with Ange's man management and it's a breath of fresh air.
Not knowing a player doesn’t mean they can’t be that player (I know your not saying that)
But I’d say that a player has to have the physical attributes as a minimum for their role (VDV) ticks that box in abundance
And the rest can in theory be taught or coached
In Holland they rate him really really highly but also see him as raw… which is fair
We have seen him start so well but he is likely to have some missteps along the way
But… the key is how he develops
Does he become the next VVD
Or does he become a very good professional CB at a high level

Joe hart was the same at Celtic, caused two goals in a CL game playing ange system, ange told him, my fault not yours, keep doing it until you understand what I want.

Not knowing a player doesn’t mean they can’t be that player (I know your not saying that)
But I’d say that a player has to have the physical attributes as a minimum for their role (VDV) ticks that box in abundance
And the rest can in theory be taught or coached
In Holland they rate him really really highly but also see him as raw… which is fair
We have seen him start so well but he is likely to have some missteps along the way
But… the key is how he develops
Does he become the next VVD
Or does he become a very good professional CB at a high level
I was pretty ignorant about Micky not too long ago, as in didn't even know he existed, but just as some fans judge players too quickly for having poor games, I similarly don't want to kneejerk in the other direction. I'm very happy with what I've seen, but it's the consistency that dictates whether a player is truly good or not.
And that's a good point, I think he will receive some great coaching and it seems Ange knows how to give players some self-belief and motivation.
Character-wise, Micky seems very calm and professional. Romero can get a bit heated and passionate, but is usually calm on the ball. Micky doesn't seem to panic on the ball either and actually has some tricks to help retain possession. It's actually nice seeing players who don't just brick themselves outright when pressed.

I know it's emotive. It's why we love the game and the team. The highs and lows. But seriously judge things over time. At least a season. Enjoy it while it's good. Be sad when it isn't. But don't get it fixated in your mind a player/manager/system and make a judgement on whether thy are great/brick/ok, until you have a good sample size.

Vdv is doing well so is ange. That doesn't guarantee they will do in future. Or if the opposite were true.

I was pretty ignorant about Micky not too long ago, as in didn't even know he existed, but just as some fans judge players too quickly for having poor games, I similarly don't want to kneejerk in the other direction. I'm very happy with what I've seen, but it's the consistency that dictates whether a player is truly good or not.
And that's a good point, I think he will receive some great coaching and it seems Ange knows how to give players some self-belief and motivation.
Character-wise, Micky seems very calm and professional. Romero can get a bit heated and passionate, but is usually calm on the ball. Micky doesn't seem to panic on the ball either and actually has some tricks to help retain possession. It's actually nice seeing players who don't just brick themselves outright when pressed.
If anyone claims as a spurs fan they knew about him…. I’d say they were lying
But then we as a fans shouldn’t know many other players really.
The club thought…. Now they should
There is so much info out there now about players I’d expect a Club like ours to have data and info on thousands of players
that still would mean the player needs developing and that is certainly that case for Micky
But do it right, and get it right, you could have a gem on your hands

It was this game

After which he said:

"It wasn't a horrible mistake -- Feders was doing what he was supposed to be doing," said Postecoglou.

"That's not his responsibility, it's my responsibility because that's how we want our goalkeeper to play.

"Every now and then that will happen to us and I'm prepared to accept that.

"In the longer term it sets us up to be the team we want to be."

Postecoglou said Ryan was also encouraged to play up the ground as he wanted his goalkeeper to be more involved in general play.

"In the 30-odd games I've been in charge that's the first time it's happened," he said.

"If it takes another 30 to happen for it to happen again, I'll cop that, provided we're able to play our football."

https://global.espn.com/football/st...ou-adam-federici-not-blame-greece-wonder-goal

I agree he could have challenged better for the first goal as should porro but in general he was excellent on and off the ball. His contribution for the 4th goal was excellent, took the long ball down muscled passed the first challenge and got taken down by the second got back up to win the loose ball setting up the attack through udogie. I am not one to get to carried away by players but he is going to be one of the best defenders in the world within a few years.

Agree with the remark about getting up quickly, too many players don't do it, I was told as a kid if you're on the floor you are out of the game.

To my mind that's great management, I've found people are less likely to give their best if they are worried about being blamed for mistakes, manager in any job should help staff to do their job well and accept responsibility.

I agree, and for me it really stood out in the Man Utd game. Everyone looked fearless, even when it was a bit dodgy in the first half. They're so liberated by a manager who will take the blame.

I know it's emotive. It's why we love the game and the team. The highs and lows. But seriously judge things over time. At least a season. Enjoy it while it's good. Be sad when it isn't. But don't get it fixated in your mind a player/manager/system and make a judgement on whether thy are great/brick/ok, until you have a good sample size.

Vdv is doing well so is ange. That doesn't guarantee they will do in future. Or if the opposite were true.
Post of the thread.

Back