• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

...if only we could get close to a manager of this calibre...
He's never won a trophy and so what's the point. Levy should get us a manager who is a winner, who has won things, who has won more trophies as a manager than we have as a club. When he does that it will be so bloody good.

...or a squad which is constructed by spending limitless money in the football equivalent of a pick’n’mix...
That bit always seems to get missed
I mean the BBC tonight in the Everton match thread are kinda arguing that it’s not spending that are making City the team they are

...or a squad which is constructed by spending limitless money in the football equivalent of a pick’n’mix...
So if he or Pep were to win the champions League it would somehow be diminished as an achievement because of their money? I think money certainly gives a manager an advantage but if money was the main factor both PSG and City would have won multiple Champions League trophies by now.

Last edited:

OK.
I'll take that.
Now, imagine if we could get close to a manager of this calibre and give him proper money, not even for a pick'n'mix spree, just a leisurely trip to the sweetshop with the word that you can even buy some of those gobstoppers from the top shelf!!!

So if he or Pep were to win the champions League it would somehow be diminished as an achievement because of their money? I think money certainly gives a manager an advantage but if money was the main factor both PSG and City would have won multiple Champions League trophies by now.

That just shows you how badly they have picked their managers, Poch is the first smart managerial appointment either club have made since the 90’s.

So if he or Pep were to win the champions League it would somehow be diminished as an achievement because of their money?

Since 1997, with the exception of Porto, the CL has been won only by a five or six ‘superclubs’, who share the trophy between them on an almost rotational basis. Were City or PSG to win it, would that be because they have benefited from exceptional coaching and a great team ethic - or because their spending power now matches (or is more than) these other clubs?

Probably more the latter than the former, imo.

Since 1997, with the exception of Porto, the CL has been won only by a five or six ‘superclubs’, who share the trophy between them on an almost rotational basis. Were City or PSG to win it, would that be because they have benefited from exceptional coaching and a great team ethic - or because their spending power now matches (or is more than) these other clubs?

Probably more the latter than the former, imo.
I genuinely believe it is a combination of money and superb coaching. The latter acts as a catalyst with the former.

Back