• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

Barca need to start from scratch. They have alot of older players who will be moving on / retiring soon. They need a manager with experience in building a project. Poch is that man and will have more resources than what he got here.

But they have this brilliant youth system which pundits and journalists jerk off over all the time, oh, and don’t forget that more than a club thing...

No, they have some elements to do with spending. Hence why Klopp went from no trophies to a Champions league and, barring a one in a generation pandemic, a PL title after he was backed further. The more you spend, the more you increase your chances of success.

Of course this does not mean that money guarantees success. It 400% doesn't. And to be frank, our club's record with 'record signings' (Bent, Bentley, Soldado, Lamela, Sanchez, N'Dombele so far, Sissoko, Moura, Janssen, Aurier, Paulinho, Rebrov. Pav and Keane (2nd time) if you're being slightly harsh as well. That is 12 (or 14) of our biggest ever 20 transfers. And they range from total disaster to....really quite meh.

And I agree with that point and as I said, I made it multiple times when people on here were tossing themselves silly over us being top of the '3 year PL table' or 'most points gained per £ spent table' or other such crap that Spurs and Liverpool fans especially seem to turn to when their club isn't actually winning.

I couldn't care less about the 3 year PL table the consistency that shows. I want a trophy out of that period. More often than that during this period, we didn't step up. That was always my biggest criticism of Poch. That and his 'opaque interviews'.

My problem is that people who were defending against such accusations just one season ago are now falling over themselves to pronounce Poch a bottler or rewrite what they thought at that time. Not at all fair imo.

Hi mate great to see you back on here and hope you and yours are safe. For what it’s worth I love Poch and have never changed my opinion of him in that respect. He is the best manager we have had since Burkinshaw, some might say the best since Nicholson in terms of League performances. So some of the revisionism and criticism of his record is frankly bewildering but not surprising tbh

I will always rail against the “bottling narrative” thrown at Poch and his failure to win a trophy. Arteta has just won the FA Cup, does that make him less of a “bottler“ than Poch? His team finished below us after one of our weakest seasons that I can remember since 2006. Ramos won the League cup in 2008, finished 11th and was sacked the following season with us languishing bottom, is he less of the bottler? Di Matteo, that behemoth of managers, has an FA cup and Champions League to his name. He has disappeared without a trace after failing in lower league management, less of a bottler? How about Sarri? I posed the question a few weeks back why is it that pretty much any manager in the dugout at Chelsea can win a trophy and yet how many decent managers Spurs have appointed in recent years have failed to bring success. Even if they win a single, domestic cup our manager crashes and burns shortly after. I think our inability to attract top drawer players on big wages may well be a factor in this.

The fans and the board expected Poch to compete on multiple fronts with a squad light in key areas. Poch pushed players hard to achieve success, players who were not world class ( Harry Kane aside), players who were young and not the finished article like Dele, Winks, Sanchez or not playing to their full potentIal under previous managers, Eriksen, Dembele, Rose. His methods made the team better than the sum of its parts. But he pushed players to their limit physically and mentally and often beyond. It’s why imo he failed to win anything. That would have changed had we been able to spend and bring in quality in multiple positions to achieve proper squad rotation in key positions such as Kane, Eriksen and Dembele. He could have modulated his methods to extend the careers of the likes of Dembele and Wanyama. Liverpool achieved that this year. Klopp and Liverpool could pretty much obtain first choice players and rotate them. Poch could not (not until his last transfer window). Even a manager as great as Mourinho has not been able to sufficiently arrest the decline in players this season.

It will be difficult for many fans to truly appreciate Poch until a few seasons pass and we are struggling to achieve the consistency he managed. Although purse strings have been loosened I doubt we will be able to compete with the top clubs for the biggest players. Let’s see then if we win more trophies or achieve Champions league success.

Last edited:
Hi mate great to see you back on here and hope you and yours are safe. For what it’s worth I love Poch and have never changed my opinion of him in that respect. He is the best manager we have had since Burkinshaw, some might say the best since Nicholson in terms of League performances. So some of the revisionism and criticism of his record is frankly bewildering but not surprising tbh

I will always rail against the “bottling narrative” thrown at Poch and his failures to win a trophy. Arteta has just won the FA Cup, does that make him less of a “bottler“ than Poch? His team finished below us after one of our weakest seasons that I can remember since 2006. Ramos won the League cup in 2008, finished 11th and was sacked the following season with us languishing bottom, is he less of the bottler? Di Matteo that behemoth of managers has an FA cups and Champions League to his name has disappeared without a trace after failing in lower league management, less of a bottler? Sarri?. I posed the question a few weeks back why is it that pretty much any manager in the dugout at Chelsea can win a trophy and yet how many decent managers Spurs have appointed in recent years have failed to bring success. Even if they win a single, domestic cup our manager crashes and burns shortly after. I think our inability to attract top drawer players on big wages may well be a factor in this.

The fans and the board expected Poch to compete on multiple fronts with a squad light in key areas. Poch pushed players hard to achieve success, players who were not world class ( Harry Kane aside), players who were young and not the finished article like Dele, Winks, Sanchez or not playing to their full potentIal under previous managers, Eriksen, Dembele, Rose. His methods made the team better than the sum of its parts. But he pushed players to their limit physically and mentally and often beyond. It’s why imo he failed to win anything. That would have changed had we been able to spend and bring in quality in multiple positions to achieve proper squad rotation in key positions such as Kane, Eriksen and Dembele. He could have modulated his methods to extend the careers of the likes of Dembele and Wanyama. Liverpool achieved that this year. Klopp and Liverpool could pretty much obtain first choice players and rotate them. Poch could not (not until his last transfer window). Even a manager as great as Mourinho has not been able to sufficiently arrest the decline in players this season.

It will be difficult for many fans to truly appreciate Poch until a few seasons pass and we are struggling to achieve the consistency he managed. Although purse strings have been loosened I doubt we will be able to compete with the top clubs for the biggest players. Let’s see then if we win more trophies or achieve Champions league success.
I think you were right right about Poch and so had to quote and give you props.

I will always rail against the “bottling narrative” thrown at Poch and his failure to win a trophy. Arteta has just won the FA Cup, does that make him less of a “bottler“ than Poch? His team finished below us after one of our weakest seasons that I can remember since 2006. Ramos won the League cup in 2008, finished 11th and was sacked the following season with us languishing bottom, is he less of the bottler? Di Matteo, that behemoth of managers, has an FA cup and Champions League to his name. He has disappeared without a trace after failing in lower league management, less of a bottler? How about Sarri? I posed the question a few weeks back why is it that pretty much any manager in the dugout at Chelsea can win a trophy and yet how many decent managers Spurs have appointed in recent years have failed to bring success. Even if they win a single, domestic cup our manager crashes and burns shortly after. I think our inability to attract top drawer players on big wages may well be a factor in this.

I agree mostly with what you have said here and I admire your passionate defence of Poch. His tenure at spurs can only be described as an overwhelming success IMO. I still feel he had the players at his disposal to win a trophy. He overachieved with the budget he had, but slightly underachieved with the players; Kane, Eriksen, Dembele, Toby, Jan, Walker, Rose. He had arguably the best striker, best CB pairing (not the best two CB’s individually but the best partnership), two of the best full backs and the most creative player in the league bar KDB and Silva. I saw no improvement on how we handled the big games under him in 5 years. Lost and FA cup semi final to Chelsea in 2017, lost at the same stage to an average United side and just didn’t turn up. The team didn’t handle adversity well in big games, no one got hold of things on or off the pitch and arrested the decline. Poch was to passive with his subs and didn’t react quick enough IMO.

Once the pressing game went, our league form fell off a cliff. And whenever we had a chance to win and go top or win and put pressure on 1st, we blew it, every time.

Maybe the bottling narrative is a bit harsh but the reality is football is about winning trophies. He needs to get the monkey off his back to be considered as great as the likes of Simeone, Klopp, Pep, Jose, Ancelotti etc. Bayern would be the idea place for him, they have plenty of young players who would run through walls. I’m interested to see how he deals with a genuine superstar like Lewandowski or Messi. Is he willing to be ruthless and haul stars off? One of my criticisms of him was he was too unwilling to bench the star players like Lloris and Alli when they had prolonged spells of bad form.

Without question he’s the best Spurs coach of my lifetime. The trophies argument is a matter of opinion really but to be truly up there with the greats then he needs to win some, it’s that simple. It doesn’t mean he was a failure or a bottler at Spurs but at some point he needs to win them otherwise he will be another Bielsa.

I agree mostly with what you have said here and I admire your passionate defence of Poch. His tenure at spurs can only be described as an overwhelming success IMO. I still feel he had the players at his disposal to win a trophy. He overachieved with the budget he had, but slightly underachieved with the players; Kane, Eriksen, Dembele, Toby, Jan, Walker, Rose. He had arguably the best striker, best CB pairing (not the best two CB’s individually but the best partnership), two of the best full backs and the most creative player in the league bar KDB and Silva. I saw no improvement on how we handled the big games under him in 5 years. Lost and FA cup semi final to Chelsea in 2017, lost at the same stage to an average United side and just didn’t turn up. The team didn’t handle adversity well in big games, no one got hold of things on or off the pitch and arrested the decline. Poch was to passive with his subs and didn’t react quick enough IMO.

Once the pressing game went, our league form fell off a cliff. And whenever we had a chance to win and go top or win and put pressure on 1st, we blew it, every time.

Maybe the bottling narrative is a bit harsh but the reality is football is about winning trophies. He needs to get the monkey off his back to be considered as great as the likes of Simeone, Klopp, Pep, Jose, Ancelotti etc. Bayern would be the idea place for him, they have plenty of young players who would run through walls. I’m interested to see how he deals with a genuine superstar like Lewandowski or Messi. Is he willing to be ruthless and haul stars off? One of my criticisms of him was he was too unwilling to bench the star players like Lloris and Alli when they had prolonged spells of bad form.

Without question he’s the best Spurs coach of my lifetime. The trophies argument is a matter of opinion really but to be truly up there with the greats then he needs to win some, it’s that simple. It doesn’t mean he was a failure or a bottler at Spurs but at some point he needs to win them otherwise he will be another Bielsa.

I can agree with most of that to be honest, i would put him third in the list of best coaches though ( only because i am a lot older then you i guess :)). No doubt Poch worked wonders here but i am left with the feeling that we underachieved with the squad and top players we had. Not saying it was all down to him as i think some of our players did not have the mentality to get across the winning line on a few occasions.

Pep to Barca and Mopo to city?
Mopo won’t get top top cub, yet, unless it’s out of the clubs desperation.
He has little on his CV other than being bloody lucky with VAR in CL:cool: But he is a good young up and coming coach who did well at Spurs and looked promising.

He has little on his CV other than being bloody lucky with VAR in CL:cool: But he is a good young up and coming coach who did well at Spurs and looked promising.

There aren’t many jobs where you’re young at 48. Pope, maybe. Poet laureate. Dinner lady. Not sure that football manager is up there.

Well it would be difficult to say he didn’t over perform by finishing above all of the teams with double his wage budget at some point during his tenure, along with taking a club that had only
made CL once before him into it for 3 consecutive years, including a season and a half playing without a proper home ground.

Certainly done a little more than Ole, Frank, Pirlo, Zidane and Fraudiola before they got given a top job

I think this is a gross over-simplification.
He established us as a CL club despite being "homeless" for two seasons with a crippled budget for true acquisitions and sales to match the startling progress we made on the pitch.
And we did make startling progress.
He changed the modern viewpoint and metric of our club.
Massive.

Pep to Barca and Mopo to city?

I think he may get one (or Utd) but will struggle with any of them. Much as I loved him, he found it hard to manage expectations with us at various points - and, to be honest, there really weren’t very many compared to any of those places.

Last edited:
I think he may get one (or Utd) but will struggle with any of them. Much as I loved him, he found it hard to manage expectations with us at various points - and, to be honest, there really weren’t very many compared to any of those places.

Our expectations came to far exceed our budget, primarily because of poch.
Find a manager with no incoming transfers for three(?) windows, no home ground for 18 months, players of the level of Sissoko as starters and ask them for CL qualification and a trophy every season.
Wonder how far you will get.

I think this is a gross over-simplification.
He established us as a CL club despite being "homeless" for two seasons with a crippled budget for true acquisitions and sales to match the startling progress we made on the pitch.
And we did make startling progress.
He changed the modern viewpoint and metric of our club.
Massive.
We also had/have some great players as well. Which was little to do with him.
Poch was great in the small Spurs world.
will be interesting to see what happens next.

No smart manager should really take that job. They are in a mess right now, plus they have already earmarked Xavi for next summer. You would probably have to win the league and CL to not get sacked

Back