• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Martini Recipes

Southcote Spur

Jason Dozzell
I know that this is going to sound incredibly hoo-ray Henry-ish, but I have recently started to really enjoy a nice dry martini (or three) after work on a Friday evening. Do any discerning members of this board have the best set of ingredients for the perfect martini, ie the best gin, vodka and vermouth to get the best out of this drink?

^^ [-X

Just because a drink is served in a martini glass does not make it a martini.

A traditional martini has 3 ingrediants... Gin, dry vermouth and an olive. Replace the gin with vodka and it becomes a Vodkatini, but in all fairness this is generally accepted as a Martini nowadays.

Vodkas don't really vary much in taste (except Absolut which tastes like rubbing alcohol - fantastic marketing dept. though). With Gin, there is a lot more room to experiment. London Dry gins use more juniper so have the heavy "pine tree" taste that a lot of younger people do not like. The main alternative to these are the lighter flavored gins such as Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray 10 and Hendricks (flavored with cucumber and rose petals). There are several smaller production gins that focus on a more citrus style coming out these days, and I even tasted one from Washington state that substitutes hops for juniper which was very nice.

Also, do not be like Bond and ask for your Martini to be shaken, not stirred. This is a misconception. A martini should be stirred so as to not impart so much water into the drink and thus produce a watered-down ****tail.

Angostura Bitters, Gin, Dry Martini, Bitter Lemon, crushed ice. I don't know the proper name for it but I love it.

Back