• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lucas Moura

I'll finish by saying I don't think attacking players are an area of weakness in our squad, at all.

We need to be looking seriously at central midfield, two options at least, both full backs and a central defender too.

If we put Zaha aside as a hypothetical, who do you bring in that is better quality than and happy to be a squad player like Lamela and Moura currently are?

Hard pressed to find anyone I'd say. If we can find a player on the same level as Eriksen, then I'd maybe look at shifting Moura or Lamela, but I certainly wouldn't do it hastily.

Brandt would have been one and I’m sure their are a lot who wound see Tottenham as a step up

I'll finish by saying I don't think attacking players are an area of weakness in our squad, at all.

We need to be looking seriously at central midfield, two options at least, both full backs and a central defender too.

As well as making defensive errors
We currently are lacking any creativity with eriksen not firing so I’d argue that the attacking area is one that needs a look

As well as making defensive errors
We currently are lacking any creativity with eriksen not firing so I’d argue that the attacking area is one that needs a look

Circumstances. With Kane, Son, Alli, Eriksen, Lamela and Moura all fit, we're not having this conversation. They're not each going to be in form all the time, but there's enough quality and depth there.

Alli's absense has been a huge loss over the last few weeks... Anyway I don't want to derail the Moura thread any further, let's leave it for the opening of the transfer window :p

Circumstances. With Kane, Son, Alli, Eriksen, Lamela and Moura all fit, we're not having this conversation. They're not each going to be in form all the time, but there's enough quality and depth there.

Alli's absense has been a huge loss over the last few weeks... Anyway I don't want to derail the Moura thread any further, let's leave it for the opening of the transfer window :p

Alli is a massive loss
And for me Moura should be given more opportunities

I’d agree with most of this. Although I’d argue we don’t need a left back. We just need to play Rose in the majority of games as he’s clearly better than Davies. Also, I’d say we need to ensure Toby and Jan sign new contracts. We don’t need upgrades in CM for now. i like Foyth and Sanchez but they make too many mistakes. I’d give them both another year then make a decision on them. I don’t think either are ready right now to start most games unless it’s with Toby AND Jan.

I’d agree with most of this. Although I’d argue we don’t need a left back. We just need to play Rose in the majority of games as he’s clearly better than Davies. Also, I’d say we need to ensure Toby and Jan sign new contracts. We don’t need upgrades in CM for now. i like Foyth and Sanchez but they make too many mistakes. I’d give them both another year then make a decision on them. I don’t think either are ready right now to start most games unless it’s with Toby AND Jan.

Vertonghen signed a contract extension earlier in the season.. Doubt Alderweireld will stick around.

Enough quality and depth for what exactly?

To be a strong team, to cover for each other? To push on in the league and compete for trophies in the future. What a strange question...

Clearly their not though as we are currently failing with them players in proportion to where we were going. It’s becasue the cover players are inferior and can’t fill the gaps

Vertonghen signed a contract extension earlier in the season.. Doubt Alderweireld will stick around.

IIRC Jan’s contract isn’t long term?

Obviously we can’t make Toby stick around if his heart isn’t here but if it’s a question of money we should give it to him as a replacement would cost between £50 - £70m plus wages. Makes more financial sense to pay Toby, within reason of course. If he wants £250k a week then realistically it’s not gonna happen.

I think Moura can score goals he has a lovely shot on him Poch needs to work out where his best position on the pitch is.

Don't think Poch likes him that much. Remember an interview where he said he did not know what to do with him when we signed him.

He's nowhere near the class of Son, he's a flair player who you see pop up with the odd worldy. That aside he's a frustrating show-pony who loses the ball, a lot. Did you see his red card recently too for dissent? Utter clown shoe.

PL stats below for comparison..

Zaha: 29 goals, 17 assists in 154 games for Palace.
Son: 41 goals, 18 assists in 122 games for us.
Lamela: 14 goals, 21 assists in 119 games for us.

I guess you could argue he's an upgrade on Lamela, but he's had more game time and less injury hassle. To come up with less assists in 30+ more games is a worry for me. They're also the same age, so it's not like he has that much more upside.

Plus I doubt he'll give you the same level of consistent effort. See @StephenH's post, he would quickly frustrate the hell out of our fans and become the next spacegoat, guaranteed.

Meanwhile, Eriksen is a cut above again:
40 goals, 49 assists in 172 games for us.

If we want to have real competition for attacking positions, it's trying to find a player on or near the same level as Eriksen. Good luck with that mind you...

Edit: Added Eriksen stats because why not.
Considering Lamela gets talked down so much for his end product that is a rather damning set of numbers for Zaha (id imagine the per minute ratio, which is much more accurate, rather than per game would be even worse for him)

Yes but their integrated in the team and they started the season well which helped us with the WC legacy issues

Moura got league player of the money didn’t he

Now though the better players have naturally over took them

Strange though that Moura can hardly get on the pitch last 5 league games where we've predominantly gone with only 3 attacking players and not looked great? Factor in Dele been out for all of those and Kane for 2.

Back