• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Liverpool fan in peace!

1. Sum up your season so far in 5 words.
Disastrous against the top teams

2. Was AVB given enough time? And do you feel that Tim Sherwood is the right man for the job? If not, then who would you like to see instead?
AVB should have been given the rest of the season. No Sherwood is not the man for the Spurs job. Jurgen Klopp would be nice.

3. Should Daniel Levy have held on to Bale in the summer? Or do you feel he was right to let go of a player who wanted to leave?
You can’t hold onto a player when a team like Madrid come calling. You’ll see that with Suarez pretty soon.

4. A lot of the summer replacements have been dubbed as flops. What’s gone wrong for them? And who do you feel has performed well?
Too many new players in a squad is bound to take a while to settle. Most if not all have great potential, some have struggled to adapt but things can change, I’m happy to stick with all of them for next season, including Paulinho.

5. Does it annoy you guys as much as it annoys us that whenever you’re linked to a player we’re linked to the same player and vice versa?
Transfer speculation is tabloid bullsh!t, don’t bother reading it unless its from about two or three newspapers.

6. How much do you feel – if at all – that the Europa League has hindered your campaign
A lot. If we can’t finish in the top four I hope we come 7th or 8th

7. What do you think went wrong in the reverse fixture for you guys?
You guys had a blinder, we fell apart. Even Flanagan was good.

8. If you could have anyone other than Suarez from our team, who would it be? And who would you like to send in the opposite direction and why?
I would say Coutinho but I think Erikssen is more than enough. I guess Sturridge given his form all season but I seriously don’t fancy your squad over ours.

9. Where will the game on Sunday be won and lost for you guys?
Our defence is a shambles, full backs are out of form, Verts doesn’t care, your strikers are on fire.

10. How do you see the game on Sunday going and what will the final score be?
You will win about 3-0

11. Finally, where do you think both sides will finish in the league?
You will come third, we will come 7th, hopefully.

Just the latest 'transitional season'.

2. Was AVB given enough time? And do you feel that Tim Sherwood is the right man for the job? If not, then who would you like to see instead?
No. But I have respect for Levy for making the decision, and we have played much more entertaining football since he left, with similar results.

It is very difficult to say Sherwood is right for the job at this point. He hasn't done well enough to gain my full support yet, but he has done a very good job for a rookie manager. He has shown balls with his team selection and his tactical experimentation. Also he has managed the squad far better than AVB, who rotated too much - Sherwood has been more balanced in this regard. Would like to see him given next season, unless a truly exceptional manager is available in the summer. Otherwise it isn't worth the disruption.

3. Should Daniel Levy have held on to Bale in the summer? Or do you feel he was right to let go of a player who wanted to leave?
Looking at you guys and Suarez makes me think yes. Although at the time I thought Levy played it well. Many players still look unsettled, perhaps we will only know the answer to that question at this point next year.

4. A lot of the summer replacements have been dubbed as flops. What’s gone wrong for them? And who do you feel has performed well?
Most of our new signings have had at least one lengthy injury layoff at some point. But more to the point I think what has gone wrong for them is that many of them are midfielders finding themselves having to not only bed into a team with players they haven't played with before, but also ones who haven't played with the rest of the team either. This is particularly important in midfield, and as a result we have been fumbling around for some cohesion in midfield all season.

Personally I think Eriksen and Paulinho have proven to be excellent players this year. Capoue and Chiriches have shown a lot of promise but the former has suffered most of all our players from injury and the latter is still quite raw. Chadli, Lamela and Soldado are the only players who I could understand being called flops, but Chadli was an economical buy and seems to gradually adjusting to the step up from Dutch to English football. Lamela and Soldado have suffered most from the 'culture shock' of moving from Italy and Spain respectively, to the much more physical and fast-paced England.

Lamela has shown many glimpses of his class this season but is yet to really dominate a game. Unfortunately every time he seems to gain some confidence, he gets an injury. Jury out until next season for me.

Soldado has suffered from problems in the midfield and has often had to travel a long way away from goal in order to receive the ball, and which prevents him doing what he does best - scoring goals. When he has found good positions and the ball has come to him, he seems to overthink things. After following him for years in Spain I know what he is capable of, I just feel he needs to score in a couple of games consecutively after the midfield has sorted itself out and we will see his true capabilties.

Basically I think it is still too early to write off the summer signings as flops generally, even if they have struggled this season.

5. Does it annoy you guys as much as it annoys us that whenever you’re linked to a player we’re linked to the same player and vice versa?
Only because it's going be you poaching from us next year instead of vice versa...

6. How much do you feel – if at all – that the Europa League has hindered your campaign
Massive, unnecessary distraction. We performed much worse after midweek games, especially after long travels. The competition seriously needs improving.

At 2-0 we went all out attack and got obliterated on the break. It was like a frustrated child was controlling our team on FIFA, trying to throw everyone forward and only making things worse. A sheer lack of professionalism and maturity from all involved.

8. If you could have anyone other than Suarez from our team, who would it be? And who would you like to send in the opposite direction and why?
Coutinho. We need some guile between the lines coming from wide areas. Hopefully Lamela can grow into this role, but Coutinho has far more pace and as such is much less predictable.

In the midfield. We need to be resolute and compact, but we have had problems with this recently, and Bentaleb isn't the best marker. Moreover our central midfield get very little cover from the wings, which as Chelsea proved on the weekend is vital for shutting down teams who flood the midfield. We also have to be very wary of direct balls on the counter. We got beat 5-0 last time without your lot ever playing all that well because we left huge spaces behind the fullbacks. Kaboul should at least provide more pace than Dawson did.

Hard to say, but I can't see us winning. Would like us to score at least. A win here though and our dreams of fourth stay alive.

3-1 to Liverpool.

I think - Liverpool 3rd and Spurs 6th.
I hope - 3rd and 4th (not fussed on the order..).

Hey guys, I'm a Liverpool fan and a member of the Kopblocks.com forum. We run a feature before all of our games where we ask the fans of our coming opposition a few questions to give us an idea how they're feeling about the game, their season etc.

Thanks in advance for your answers, looking forward to hearing them!

sh.ite. sh.ite. sh.ite. really sh.ite.
No...No..LVG
Don't think Levy had a choice.
Won't judge them as flops yet, until they have one season under LVG. All have performed well on occasion. but mostly sh.ite. as i said, i want an experienced manager to have the opportunity to utilise them then we'll decide who is permanently sh.ite.
not really. they all want to come to London :)
definitely a hindrance. thurs nite nonsense. practically no time to train properly. HOWEVER. it's still a big trophy and CL which we are hoping to obtain consistently also means midweek fixtures of much higher caliber, so in the greater scheme of things, we just have to take it seriously and do better.
we are sh.ite
probably sturridge. we will pay you to take naughton coz he is sh.ite.
on the pitch. tbh, we are nowhere near in this. another big win for you lot.
pessimist in me says 3 goal margin in defeat. i am already thinking of next season, and i think most of the players are too.
we will be sixth. you lot will come in second. :eek:

Also, feel free to join kopblocks.com if you wish, it's always nice to hear differing points of view on games and transfers etc.

Thanks

Hey guys, I'm a Liverpool fan and a member of the Kopblocks.com forum. We run a feature before all of our games where we ask the fans of our coming opposition a few questions to give us an idea how they're feeling about the game, their season etc.

Thanks in advance for your answers, looking forward to hearing them!

Really, really, really, really disappointing
2. Was AVB given enough time? more than enough. 15 goals in 16 games this season allied to crap football.And do you feel that Tim Sherwood is the right man for the job? maybe, maybe not. it is too early to make a fair assessment If not, then who would you like to see instead? only if a stellar replacement is available.
3. Should Daniel Levy have held on to Bale in the summer? Or do you feel he was right to let go of a player who wanted to leave? I would have loved him to stay but when RM come calling and the players head is turned, Levy really had little choice. You will find out with Suarez at the end of this season
4. A lot of the summer replacements have been dubbed as flops. What’s gone wrong for them? And who do you feel has performed well?All have been below expectations, with the possible exception of Eriksen. I am hoping it is first season syndrome. Our record signings, Paulinho (17m), Soldado (26m) and Lamela (30m) have been particularly disappointing.
5. Does it annoy you guys as much as it annoys us that whenever you’re linked to a player we’re linked to the same player and vice versa? no, it's just symptomatic of the marketplace we are both fishing in
6. How much do you feel – if at all – that the Europa League has hindered your campaign definitely. Both managers mis-used our squad in Europa games. It is patently reflected in our results on the Sunday after Thursday games, particularly away games.
7. What do you think went wrong in the reverse fixture for you guys? everything. Lets just leave it at that.
8. If you could have anyone other than Suarez from our team, who would it be? And who would you like to send in the opposite direction and why? Coutinho. I have always liked him ( he reminds me of me !!!!). You can have your pick, provided you pay 100% over my market value assessment of them!
9. Where will the game on Sunday be won and lost for you guys?Our defense v your attack
10. How do you see the game on Sunday going and what will the final score be? there will be goals, that is for sure. either 3-2 or 2-3 is my bet
11. Finally, where do you think both sides will finish in the league? you 3rd, us 5th

Also, feel free to join kopblocks.com if you wish, it's always nice to hear differing points of view on games and transfers etc.

Thanks

My replies in bold..

1. Sum up your season so far in 5 words. - utterly and absolutely ****ing miserable.

2. Was AVB given enough time? And do you feel that Tim Sherwood is the right man for the job? If not, then who would you like to see instead? - I think after around six months you can make a judgement on any manager. After six months of AVB's reign we had managed some very positive results and were in a great position in the league but the more realistic of us Spurs fans could see the football was dull and not progressive in the slightest. It was effective though, cos it was set up for the defence and midfield to make us solid which created a platform for Bale to be brilliant and win us games on his own, which he did in the vast majority of our games towards the end of the season. This season we continued to be lucky in a lot of games under AVB (Swansea and Hull at home, Fulham away spring to mind) but when we played the top teams we were well beaten. It was right to get rid... it wasn't right to replace him with zero experienced manager Tim Sherwood. And I stick by that, cos since the initial honeymoon period where we improved it's gone back to being turgid. I would like a young, progressive manager instilled in the summer. If we could offer Martinez a nice wage and budget I would be happy, failing that then I'd seriously be interested in giving Eddie Howe a chance. I don't want an older manager like Van Gaal who would be off in a shot once a bigger club came in for him even if he did well here.

3. Should Daniel Levy have held on to Bale in the summer? Or do you feel he was right to let go of a player who wanted to leave? - he should have done what he did with Modric two summers earlier, and what you did with Suarez last summer, and what Man United did with Ronaldo in 2008, and forced him to stay here for one more year and then allow him his move. No team has ever been as reliant on one player as we were Bale last season, so it was always going to be a bad move on our behalf to let him leave.

4. A lot of the summer replacements have been dubbed as flops. What’s gone wrong for them? And who do you feel has performed well? - that is cos by and large they have been. To think we broke the club record for Paulinho, Soldado and Lamela, then look at their production for us, is embarrassing. All three have been generally **** when played. Eriksen has been a bright spark although is still inconsistent. Chiriches looks an okay backup for the future but not worth selling off a local player (Caulker) in his stead. Chadli and Capoue are just complete meh footballers. It was a dreadful summer and one we may regret for a long time.

5. Does it annoy you guys as much as it annoys us that whenever you’re linked to a player we’re linked to the same player and vice versa? - no, it's only natural that two teams in direct competition as we were for a few years would be linked to the same players. London has a massive appeal. Unfortunately you're now miles our superior and it's likely that this summer we will have to fight with the likes of Everton for players *sighs*

6. How much do you feel – if at all – that the Europa League has hindered your campaign - it hasn't really, that is just an excuse for some of the AVB/Sherwood apologists. We generally rested first team regulars in the group stage and we've only played four knockout games in which we just haven't been good enough. I don't think it's had the effect some will have you believe. I think a good cup run can actually benefit a club.

7. What do you think went wrong in the reverse fixture for you guys? - pretty simple really, we were completely destroyed by you. You actually went in to that game with a plan, full of good technical footballers capable of pressing well, we on the other hand were shellshocked, full of big players but few technical footballers. You outplayed us, outfought us and beat us. That's all there is to it.

8. If you could have anyone other than Suarez from our team, who would it be? And who would you like to send in the opposite direction and why? - we could do with a few of your players. Gerrard is still miles above the level of any of our midfielders. Sterling and Coutinho are great youngsters who will go on to be world class. But if you pointed a gun to my head and I had to make a choice there and then I would say Sturridge, both for what he offers now and what he will offer in five years (well, before Levy inevitably sold him to the highest bidder). He has everything in his game and I still think he is underrated by the English media who are bizarrely obsessed with Rooney as being England's saviour.

9. Where will the game on Sunday be won and lost for you guys? - in many ways. Either we go with the ridiculous high line and get punished by four or five goals. Or we soak it up defensively like at Chelsea until the inevitable mistake leads to your opening goal and our subsequent collapse. Only way we get anything is if you have a bad day at the office and Eriksen and Adebayor have good days.

10. How do you see the game on Sunday going and what will the final score be? - as above, I think we will set up negatively though not the high line, you'll take the lead through Suarez after half an hour, Sturridge will double it before half time, Rose will make a stupid tackle to get sent off after an hour, you will coast to a 4-0 win. We might nick a goal through an Eriksen free kick if we're lucky.

11. Finally, where do you think both sides will finish in the league? - you - 2nd. Us - 6th. I think Chelsea's run in means they will take it by a whisker. City have tough fixtures, think you'll finish above them. We aren't as good as Arsenal or Everton so won't be catching them, I hope Everton do though. I want you to win the league, unlike Chelsea and City you have a genuine identity as a club and the fans welcome before the game yesterday is something those two sets of fans would never do in a million years. Also Gerrard is one of my favourite ever players so he probably deserves it.

PS. I hope we derail your chances on Sunday regardless. If we win I will go ****ing berserk.

Q4:

1. Eriksen - great
2. Chiriches - very good
3. Chadli - average but didn't cost a lot
4. Capoue - average but hasn't played much
5. Lamela - cost a lot but has barely played so hasn't had the chance to be good or bad
6. Soldado - cost a lot, played a lot and has been woeful
7. Paulinho - cost a lot, played a lot and is terrible

Could've been worse.

Would've taken some doing though.

Actually I can't decide which of Soldado and Paulinho was the worse signing. I think Soldado has been better on the field but he's 29 soon and we'd be lucky to even get back half of what we paid for him. Paulinho on the otherhand has the whole inho thing going on which I think will keep his price around the same as we paid. Either way three of our signings will be considered to be amongst the 10 worst new signings this season, possibly even top five.

Actually I can't decide which of Soldado and Paulinho was the worse signing. I think Soldado has been better on the field but he's 29 soon and we'd be lucky to even get back half of what we paid for him. Paulinho on the otherhand has the whole inho thing going on which I think will keep his price around the same as we paid. Either way three of our signings will be considered to be amongst the 10 worst new signings this season, possibly even top five.

:lol:

I'm laughing but it's so true!

Don't have time to answer all your Qs but will say this.

Despite the fact that you're not in the Europa League this season you've done very well and I hope you win the league, you deserve most of the praise you're getting atm. No surprise to me really, when discussing the Liverpool squad with my cousin (who is a fan) the day before Bale's departure was announced I did say that they had a very good chance of top four.

As for us, meh what I can say, been here so many times before (a season that started with optimism ending in crushing failure), it's nothing new and doesn't surprise me as I didn't think the signings would be an instant success with Lamela being a long term investment ala Bale.

Sunday's game. Upon finding out that I'll be working on the day I felt somewhat relieved. Genuinely dreading it. Will either be 2-1 or 5-0 to your lot. And yes, I'd take a point in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Don't have time to answer all your Qs but will say this.

Despite the fact that you're not in the Europa League this season you've done very well and I hope you win the league, you deserve most of the praise you're getting atm. No surprise to me really, when discussing the Liverpool squad with my cousin (who is a fan) the day before Bale's departure was announced I did say that they had a very good chance of top four.

As for us, meh what I can say, been here so many times before (a season that started with optimism ending in crushing failure), it's nothing new and doesn't surprise me as I didn't think the signings would be an instant success with Lamela being a long term investment ala Bale.

Sunday's game. Upon finding out that I'll be working on the day I felt somewhat relieved. Genuinely dreading it. Will either be 2-1 or 5-0 to your lot. And yes, I'd take a point in a heartbeat.

Usually a point would be a good result but right now it would be pretty much worthless to us. I know the flip side is that we could get hammered but what's another hammering in this bitterly disappointing season ...

I think Soldado has just been unlucky, and that Paulinho's been ****

cmon mate let's not sugarcoat things Soldado has been a massive failure as things stand now. He was supposed to be our answer for goals which we have been sorely lacking in a striker for years and aside from some decent link play (occasionally) been absolute ****

cmon mate let's not sugarcoat things Soldado has been a massive failure as things stand now. He was supposed to be our answer for goals which we have been sorely lacking in a striker for years and aside from some decent link play (occasionally) been absolute ****

I've never seen a CF get so few proper chances as Soldado did in the first half of the season. It was freakish.

Yes, he's missed a few chances since then, but he was essentially coming from a standing start, and if you look at it since then he's probably missed no more than 2 or 3 good chances. The only proper sitter he's missed was the one at the far post against Dnipro.

At least, that's my recollection.

I've never seen a CF get so few proper chances as Soldado did in the first half of the season. It was freakish.

Yes, he's missed a few chances since then, but he was essentially coming from a standing start, and if you look at it since then he's probably missed no more than 2 or 3 good chances. The only proper sitter he's missed was the one at the far post against Dnipro.

At least, that's my recollection.

Isn't part of being a top class striker making your own chances though? bottom line is he has what 2 goals from open play in PL? Emile Heskey think's that is a **** return. Again maybe he wouldn't be judged so harshly if he wasn't a record fee and 29 years old but it is what it is. I pray to GHod he turns this around and becomes a beast for us next season and the ability is there for him to do it but again I Don't see how anyone can say he hasn't been a massive flop at this point

Last edited:

I think he's trying very very hard without getting much in return, he's showed a good attitude and it's not like he isn't contributing anything at all

Paulinho on the other hand (much like Dembele) has the physique and the ability to win games on his own, yet half the time you don't even know he's on the pitch, he coasts, I think he's lazy, he's been the biggest disappointment for me as he looked so good at the conferations cup last summer

Disappointing, but perhaps not unexpected

AVB wasn't a good fit for Spurs, we're known for exciting, attacking football, with a sprinkling of flair players, AVB preferred a slow, defensive style, with big physical players, that played to a team ethic, trying to wear the opposition down, with little individual flair or expression. He is also a bit of a text-book geek and while his ideas are great on paper, he struggles with the emotional/people aspects of management, doesn't take well to others in the club offering him their opinion and doesn't deal with confrontation well. He'd fallen out with various different players and backroom staff and so he had to go.

Sherwood probably isn't the right man for the job, if only because he's completely raw and learning on the job. He does seem to be learning in some respects, but its not the stature of club that you cut your teeth on and other than making us more of a goal threat, he hasn't really taken the team on from where AVB left it. In terms of who should come in, I'm not sure how realistic it would be, as he seems to be a big man of principles, but after watching a lot of Everton this season i'd try and break the bank for Martinez.

I'm not sure he could have done anything, Real Madrid turn anyone's head and the eye watering transfer fee was too good to turn down. Even Man Utd don't say no to Real Madrid (see Ronaldo)

Well Christian Eriksen has done very well and at 21 looks like a player of world-class potential. Vlad Chiriches and Etienne Capoue started well and looked good signings at the start of the season, before getting bad injuries. Soldado has certainly struggled, although in recent weeks his all-round play has looked very promising. Lamela was a 21 year old kid who didn't speak English. I think it was always a big ask to settle in, although I think he was poorly managed by AVB with too little game time given to him. The pressures of adapting to a new culture must feel all the more daunting when you're bored, sat on a bench. Chadli is showing signs of life in recent weeks so I'm hopeful for him. Paulinho has been a huge disappointment.

I think because we're both clubs that have been competing at a similar level over the last few seasons, we've obviously been in the market for a lot of the same players, although I think the media tend to overstate things like this. I think we've only genuinely gone for the same player on a couple of occasions.

Its a massive distraction and I think most of our poorest performances have come after Europa games.

Suicidal high-line played against the best front 3 in the country, plus a general lazy, uninterested performance and makeshift defence with midfielders playing as centre-backs equalled a good spannering.

Steven Gerrard. He's a leader, a game dictator, he's everything that's missing from our team.

It will be lost because our defence is terrible, especially against intelligent, quick attackers with lots of movement. I dread to think about the clueless and one-paced duo of Vertonghen and Kaboul trying to cope with Suarez and Sturridge with the help of our clown full-backs.

Liverpool 6-0 winners.

Liverpool comfortable 3rd, Spurs 5th or 6th.

Underperformance, confused priorities, overplayed, injuries.

Yes, seventy odd games in charge and he was taking us backwards. Should never have got the job in the first place. Need to see what Tim can do with a full strength side, injuries have dictated everything he's done so far.

No, far too much money to turn down.

We weren't creating chances for Soldado in AVB's system, which shattered his confidence, he's struggled to regain it. A second season could be different. Chadli doesn't impress and can go, Paulinho is a good player but we need to work out how to use him, Erikson looks the real deal and will only get better, still very young. Lamella hasn't been fit often enough to assess. Chiriches and Capoue have looked good at times, agains injuries have disrupted their seasons.

No, I take very little notice of what the papers make up.

Not just being in it, AVB's obsession with it too. We overused several players and have been decimated by injuries as a result.

AVB.

Sturridge, only going to get better too.

Stupid defensive errors could ruin it for us, as have they so many times recently. If we can stay solid and get a half decent team on the pitch we have a chance.

All depend who we have available, if we can't put out a strong side we'll get beaten. A full strength Spurs would match Liverpool.

Liverpool 3rd, Spurs 5th.

I actually think this is a good idea, maybe next season we can do this on here? kind of interesting to read what the other clubs think of us/them

Hey guys, thanks a tonne for your answers and for being so welcoming! Some great opinions and I've enjoyed reading your answers. They've now been posted in a thread here: http://kopblocks.com/showthread.php?tid=530 so you can see what we think of the responses.

As I said in the original post feel free to sign up and voice your opinion over there also. This is a great forum you've got here guys, thanks again for being so helpful!

Stuart

Back