• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lionel Messi

Messi needs to prove himself in another league but he'll never leave Barca so we'll never know.

I don't think he needs to. Although it would only add to his stature if he did move to another club and was successful. No one ever mentions that Pele only played for Santos.

Why does Messi have to move leagues? He scores against the best clubs from different countries in the CL - If Suarez and Ronaldo can do it in the Prem, Messi sure as hell could.

That is so true. No way did Zidane deserve it, especially after getting sent off. Should have gone to Cannavaro or Pirlo.

Pirlo mentioned in his book the he was told by a UEFA official before the final of Euro 2012, that should Italy win he would get the player of the tournament. Wonder who comprises the committee that chooses?

Messi needs to prove himself in another league but he'll never leave Barca so we'll never know.

Is "another league" just another word for "the Premier League" here?

For me at least I would be less impressed with Messi if he now chose to move to Serie A, Bundesliga, League 1 or some South American league for example.

Is "another league" just another word for "the Premier League" here?

For me at least I would be less impressed with Messi if he now chose to move to Serie A, Bundesliga, League 1 or some South American league for example.

I'm not accusing Craig of this, but I do get a sense with some people that they feel he needs to do it in the Premier League in order to establish himself as a great, which is nonsense. Ronaldo, Zidane, Maldini, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Pirlo; none of them played in the Premier League, why does Messi have to prove himself to English people? We seem to have this notion that if a player does not succeed in England that he's not all that, Veron, Forlan and Shevchenko being good examples of this. The Premier League doesn't get the truly best players in the world in their prime despite Sky's insistence that our league is head and shoulders above the rest.

Zidane was the player of that World Cup. What he did for France leading up to 'the moment' was amazing. What he did in 'the moment' was something else; lunacy, stupidity yet at the same time, an act of such emotional honesty that you almost have to admire it. He didn't let the WCF get in the way of having had enough of that bull**** for over a decade…well, either all the above or he was a stupid **** who foolishly lost his rag. I suppose it depends how rosey yer specs are...:-"

You always had Serie A as "another league". It seems to have lost some of its lustre, but it will be back. The Bundesliga is up there, but I can't imagine Bayern signing Messi, let alone anyone else (but then, they did sign Ribery and Robben and have Guardiola in charge, so I may be wrong).

A strong Serie A would help bring football back to the golden ages. Imagine a Champs League quarter final 8 with Real, Barca, Milan, Juve, Bayern - all at the top of their game brimming with star players such that you couldn't pick a winner in any tie. Add your English (only Man U and Liverpool I put in the same category as those mentioned clubs. Chelsea, Arsenal and City can do one) and it gets you a bit moist, yes?

Zidane was the player of that World Cup. What he did for France leading up to 'the moment' was amazing. What he did in 'the moment' was something else; lunacy, stupidity yet at the same time, an act of such emotional honesty that you almost have to admire it. He didn't let the WCF get in the way of having had enough of that bull**** for over a decade…well, either all the above or he was a stupid **** who foolishly lost his rag. I suppose it depends how rosey yer specs are...:-"

Deserved the player of the tournament award just for his performance against Brazil!

Zidane was average right up until the Brazil game. He then had a decent game in the semi-final and then got sent off in the final. It always amazes me when people claim he carried France to the final that year.

Last edited:

It was the equivalent of a lifetime achievement award. Cannavaro was far more deserving, and Pirlo to an extent, didn't he get MOM in 3 of their games?

Zidane was average right up until the Brazil game. He then had a decent game in the semi-final and then got sent off in the final. It always amazes me when people claim he carried France to the final that year.

I'm just happy I can still amaze anyone at my age! :lol:

But can you really give the award to a player for 1 great performance? Especially considering no one fancied Italy to win it and they had at least 2 players who were more deserving.

My statement was at least somewhat hyperbolic.

Edit: The player of the tournament for me that time was Cannavaro, but I've gotten used to attacking players being favoured.

Last edited:
Very interesting comments from an ex-pro to my mate about Messi…he said what makes him so special is not necessarily his close-control but the speed at which he can change direction with that close control! He also said that he felt sorry for Messi as it was obvious both he (and Ronaldo) were exhausted. had plenty of good things to say about Ronaldo, whom this ex-pro said is one of the hardest workers out there…stands to reason…

I have to say that the sheer number of games that messi played must have had an effect on his performances. He looked shattered in that world cup

I have to say that the sheer number of games that messi played must have had an effect on his performances. He looked shattered in that world cup

exactly, in maradona's day the european cup had no group stages, there were much less games in the season, but messi has clearly peaked, he was at his best when he was 24/25.

Back