• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lennon's back baby!

Whose idea is it to keep amalgamating threads? There only three non stickied threads threads on the front page younger than August. It's crap.

Thought he was poor today and hasn't really been at it in the last few weeks, he started the season off well but has tailed off recently. He's only really in the side right now for a) balance b) his defensive work and c) beacause we don't really have anyone else who'll do a better job.

Spot on. Our two top transfer priorities imo should be someone to play right wing/auxillary striker (who scores goals) and a left back who can cover for BAE.

He needs a goal and to use his pace to take people on down the wing instead of coming infield. He can cross but not from the centre of the pitch.

Still very much a key player for us.

A_SvMxHCIAAQVeI.jpg

I have been criticizing lennon a lot. He scored a very good winner today, which leaves me asking why does he not do that more often? Why does he want to pass the ball backwards all the time.

His finishing isnt that bad, because when he does shoot at goal, he ends up scoring.

In the first half today, we could see he was up for it, he took the right back inside out a few times, and he should be doing the same at home.

Lennon never ever went away... Just people being melodrammatic and couldn't see why his forward play was a bit less forthright.

Lennons focus was to defend and help out Walker. Today Walker didn't required as much help which meant Lennon could focus on attacking.

I have been criticizing lennon a lot. He scored a very good winner today, which leaves me asking why does he not do that more often? Why does he want to pass the ball backwards all the time.

His finishing isnt that bad, because when he does shoot at goal, he ends up scoring.

In the first half today, we could see he was up for it, he took the right back inside out a few times, and he should be doing the same at home.

It's not really about attitude. Today we managed to set him up in one on one situations against the full back where he could take him on without any real cover. When we do that Lennon is just about always capable of beating any full back fairly consistently.

The problems arise when opponents manage to double up on him so that he doesn't get isolated against the full back, that makes it a lot more difficult when you're the winger. We see the same with Gareth Bale. This obviously happens more at home where teams are happy to sit back and defend a point, and against teams with very hard working wingers.

As a team we need to set up our good players in those good situations more often, how to do that is a different question, but I don't think it's a question of "being up for it" at all. We see Lennon work really hard every game, tracking back, getting there to help Walker, he seems up for doing that. Yet as a quick, pacy, small winger he isn't up for running at full backs? This makes no sense at all.

Lennon never ever went away... Just people being melodrammatic and couldn't see why his forward play was a bit less forthright.

Lennons focus was to defend and help out Walker. Today Walker didn't required as much help which meant Lennon could focus on attacking.

This

=D>

Walker, though, wasn't athis, er, best today.

=D>

Walker, though, wasn't athis, er, best today.

Not the better games but he had improved over the last few games which coincided with Lennon helping out a great deal. Today maybe not so much because Lennon attacked a fair bit.

Not the better games but he had improved over the last few games which coincided with Lennon helping out a great deal. Today maybe not so much because Lennon attacked a fair bit.

The problems Walker had against Sunderland weren't down to Lennon not helping him out defensively from what I could see, I can't remember Walker ever getting isolated defensively apart from when they were counter attacking. The problem remains that Walker really isn't anywhere near consistent enough with his passing and it keeps causing problems for us. Some games he's alright, some games not so much, until (/unless) he actually gets quite a bit better on the ball that won't go away.

I have been saying the same too. I absolutely agree with your comments.

imo the main difference was his running off the ball rather than standing statue like next to his defender. Two examples yesterday, the run which made Walker play the ball into space for him - we dont see him making enough of those type of runs. Also, for the goal, he tried a one-two with Ade, which came back off a defender - but the key thing for me was that he kept running - hence the great goal.

More of the same please.

I have been saying the same too. I absolutely agree with your comments.

imo the main difference was his running off the ball rather than standing statue like next to his defender. Two examples yesterday, the run which made Walker play the ball into space for him - we dont see him making enough of those type of runs. Also, for the goal, he tried a one-two with Ade, which came back off a defender - but the key thing for me was that he kept running - hence the great goal.

More of the same please.

I do agree. I'm a massive Lennon fan, but the lad is capable of scoring goals, he is actually not a bad finisher at all - quite the opposite.

I was reading Garth Crooks' team of the week and he included this becoming more famous stat:

Tottenham have lost none of the 23 Premier League games that Lennon has scored in (W21 D2).

It struck me... this is great, but it's also significant because I'd wager that in SO MANY of those above 23 games Lennon has scored key goals. Such as a winner or a goal to draw the game - big moments in matches, earning us points. Purely off the top of my head I can reemmber winners against: Cheatski, Bolton, West Ham, Liverpool, Birmingham (x2), Sunderland... also massive goals against Arsenal and Saudi Sportswashing Machine away to grab big draws... I remember that vital solo opening goal against Fulham... screamer against Hull...

My point is, while Azza has only scored 23 goals in his 200 odd appearances for us, he is clearly capable of both shooting well and having the nerve/balls at big moments, as he has demonstrated. Why does he not score more? Has it been his role in the team (staying wide??)? Or a lack of confidence? Or a bit of both maybe.

He's got 3 goals already this season and his season (league) best is 5, so he surely must get 7 or 8 this year at least.

Hopefully now he keeps developing into this 'new' role of his - I think he has the ability and smarts IMO, as his footballing intelligence is good and vastly underrated, i just wonder if (but hope desperately) he has the confidence to pull it off.

Aaron Lennon & Gareth Bale make Garth Crooks' Team of the Week...

MIDFIELD - AARON LENNON (Tottenham)

Is it me or is Aaron Lennon starting to look like he's back on top of his game again?

Not for some time have I seen the England international look so clinical in front of goal.

I expect the flying Yorkshireman to wreak havoc among defences but to finish with such style and confidence for his superb goal at Sunderland suggests the winger's game is moving into a new phase.

Did you know?
Tottenham have lost none of the 23 Premier League games that Lennon has scored in (W21 D2).

MIDFIELD - GARETH BALE (Tottenham)

Without doubt, the player of the festive period.

He played in two important fixtures over the holiday period and he was brilliant in both.

His hat-trick against Aston Villa was of the highest order, while his contribution against Sunderland was instrumental in producing an excellent team performance and a justified Tottenham victory.

It's a pity the referee could not distinguish a Gareth Bale dive from an infringement.

Did you know?
He has already matched his best ever Premier League goals return of nine in only 17 appearances so far this season.

Lennon seems to be a good finisher one on one with the goalkeeper, but he's not good at all when shooting from a distance. Wingers, especially when not playing as an inverted winger don't get into a ton of clear cut scoring opportunities in a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1. Also worth noting that Lennon is very disciplined defensively, so he's not as often involved in counter attacks as Bale and some other wingers around.

A 1 in 10 scoring rate is decent. I think he might start scoring a bit more under AVB as it seems the wingers are given a bit more freedom to stay high up the pitch to counter attack and I think he's improving when it comes to coming inside from the right.

Back