• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ledley King

Why is everyone on Twitter going on about him being released when there is an article on the Spurs website suggesting otherwise? macarons.

THIS.

It's a list of players who are out of contract, they haven't all been told to do one.

I hope he stays on if he's capable, though he'll know better than anyone if he can still do himself justice.

It's such a shame that other clubs won't realise what a player this guy was. Even with one knee, he was better than Terry but will never get the accolades. One of my favourite players, and the classiest defender you'll see. Long live the King.

Some really silly comments in this thread.

For a start not signing a new deal doesn't mean he won't play for us, could just mean we are waiting to see how he recovers.

But how many teams have 2 centre backs playing 38 games each? Him continuing playing will not mean an unsettled back 4. It's not as if we don't have experience of what happens when he is out for 20 games, we simply have the same back 4 who are brick compared to 3 plus king.

And as for him not making a great coach because of brief moments on national tv? Ridiculous. On the pitch he has always proven to organise the back 4 and read the game well. What more do you want from a coach? Good organisation and a good understanding of the game is perfect. He might not make a good manager but would be an ideal coach.

For a start not signing a new deal doesn't mean he won't play for us, could just mean we are waiting to see how he recovers.

But how many teams have 2 centre backs playing 38 games each? Him continuing playing will not mean an unsettled back 4. It's not as if we don't have experience of what happens when he is out for 20 games, we simply have the same back 4 who are brick compared to 3 plus king.

And as for him not making a great coach because of brief moments on national tv? Ridiculous. On the pitch he has always proven to organise the back 4 and read the game well. What more do you want from a coach? Good organisation and a good understanding of the game is perfect. He might not make a good manager but would be an ideal coach.

Who said that ?

Some real jumping the gun in this post.

His contract has expired, that's why he's listed as released. It's been mentioned pretty much everywhere that there is currently an offer on the table and talks will resume at the start of pre season.

Might as well get rid of all our defenders and just play King whenever he's fit then. If they're all so brick, it's not like it matters if they're there or not.

Nobody has claimed he will never make a good coach, just raised some concerns over how vocal he would be and whether that could be a bad thing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/01/ledley-king-set-to-quit-tottenham

Ledley King set to quit Tottenham ÔÇô four years after doctor told him to
ÔÇó Defender ready to retire after 13 years at White Hart Lane
ÔÇó King does not want to be remembered as a passenger

Ledley King is close to announcing his retirement after 13 years in the Tottenham Hotspur team. The club's captain, who has a chronic knee complaint, will give serious thought to his next move while on holiday. But he is believed to have resigned himself to what his doctor told him ought to have happened four years ago.

King finished the season in a lot of pain and he has been forced to consider the damage to his body that playing on may bring in later life. More pressingly, the 31-year-old is worried that he may be unable to do himself justice next season. The last thing that he wants is to be remembered as a passenger, rather than one of the finest central defenders of his generation.

King's doctor describes him as "superhuman" and a player that has "defied science". He has no cartilage in his left knee and there is no logic to how he has played for many years. In the second part of this past season, though, King's performance levels dropped alarmingly. He hurt himself in training over Christmas and, with the benefit of hindsight, he ought to have undergone his latest clean-up operation immediately; instead, he continued to give his all and waited until the end of the season to see the surgeon.

King will take the final decision but even those close to him are urging him to hang up his boots. He appreciates the support of the Tottenham chairman, Daniel Levy, who has assured him that he will be looked after. There is the possibility of a coaching or ambassadorial role at the club, where he started as a trainee.

"I had a really good start to last season and was pleased to play as many games as I did," King said. "A knock in training set me back towards the end but I opted to carry on playing rather than take the time out to have the knee seen to. Unfortunately, that meant that I didn't play the last few games at the standard I would have liked.

"I've been discussing things with the club and my contract expires this summer. The club has been fantastic in supporting me and given me several options to stay involved with Tottenham. I shall take a view with them pre-season on my future. Tottenham has been the only club for me and if I can't play here then I shall look to be involved in another capacity."

Such a shame if true but probably the best for both parties. I said two seasons ago that a changing CB partnership was detrimental to us had a factor in Gomes's form (IMO), so in a footballing sense this to me is welcome. It's also welcome because it's not fair on King - the good side is that he is not 25 but 31, not the worse age to retire.

We all love him but a lot questionned his leadership qualities (too quiet, etc) so will he really ever be a manager? THe probability IMO is he will be another Mabbutt - fab player, health issues, club legend. At best a coach or defensive coach - never gonna be a pundit (whereas Mabbutt might be).

[video=youtube;O7Nb-nU3YJ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Nb-nU3YJ8[/video]

Quite simply one of the best tackles I've seen in my lifetime. Long live the Ledley King.

Shame they scored from the corner after.

Makalele with a volley from outside the area of all people.

I remember being behind the goal for that, couldnt believe he'd made it back in time.

Ledders, King of White Hart Lane. I too thought a couple of seasons ago we shouldn't rely on him as part of a fixed CD pairing, but my word the performances he's put in. Glad he tasted CL with us, sad it has to end this way - he can be part of the coaching team, maybe even a scout, must have an eye to spot a good player.

Legend.

Some real jumping the gun in this post.

His contract has expired, that's why he's listed as released. It's been mentioned pretty much everywhere that there is currently an offer on the table and talks will resume at the start of pre season.

Might as well get rid of all our defenders and just play King whenever he's fit then. If they're all so brick, it's not like it matters if they're there or not.

Nobody has claimed he will never make a good coach, just raised some concerns over how vocal he would be and whether that could be a bad thing.

Sorry how was I jumping the gun? surely I was doing the opposite in telling people not to assume he wont play, simply because a deal hasnt YET been signed.

As for the get rid of all our defenders ? What ? In response to people who dont think we have a settled back 4 because of king, I was simply pointing out that it doesnt have to mean we are unsettled because king is injury prone. More often than not we look much more settled with him playing even after a period where he hasnt featured for 20 games. Even if his role becomes first choice back up, that is worth having him around for (I suspect we could get King on the bench for most games if he only had to play 5 games a season).

And finally, several people have claimed he wont make a good coach. Just because he isnt a loud mouth like John Terry, it doesnt mean he stays silent and never speaks. Quite clearly from his playing days he tells people what to do. As a coach, his role would be to offer his knowledge and teach them what he knows. As long as he has the ability to speak then im sure he would make a good coach.

Also I would like to ask why people are assuming he cant recover from a dip in form ?

Adebayor and Modric werent at their best during our bad spell, form dropping like that can happen to anyone, just as it can come back. A few bad games with this additional injury is too soon to write him off. Ledley is super human remember.

I think this is the right choice. Love him to bits and don't doubt he could still be supreme on occasion but the thought of one of football's good guys in a wheelchair in a few years while Terry walks about banging teenagers isn't a good one.

Also I would like to ask why people are assuming he cant recover from a dip in form ?

Adebayor and Modric werent at their best during our bad spell, form dropping like that can happen to anyone, just as it can come back. A few bad games with this additional injury is too soon to write him off. Ledley is super human remember.

When was the last dip in form you can remember king having? Maybe he has made a mistake in a game or two in the past, but he has always been so consistent. It's time to face up mate... it's always better to retire at the top.

Remember Shevchenko at Chelsea and before he went there? He should have retired but chose an extra couple of years at chelsea, where his deteriorating speed would be found out more quickly than in any other country.

I hope you're right and it's just a dip in form, but unless he has some sort of pioneering surgery that magically sorts his knees out, he's just not going to be able to train, and the older you get the more you need to train - fact is King is doing zilch right now and he is in his 30s.

because physically he's screwed, unlike Ade and Modric.

Back