• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Leadership

We've tried everything under Levy except backing a high quality manager. If this manager doesn't work out, how many more appointments should Levy be allowed?

General we finish where we should given our spend or just above it. Until we can afford to spend the same amounts as the clubs above us, I am not sure how much more we can expect.

General we finish where we should given our spend or just above it. Until we can afford to spend the same amounts as the clubs above us, I am not sure how much more we can expect.

Hang on, we spent the best part of 100 million the summer before last, that is a big spend and that year, spending wise it was up there with the top teams.It's not like we've had to make do and mend

We desperately lack true leadership.

I think Younes tries really really hard to be a model skipper, and in many ways he is, but when we really need someone to grit it out, fire it up and drive drive drive fellow team-mates to work harder and dig deep, we just don't have it.

Hate to say it, but his Royal Kcnutiness, John Terry, is exactly that for Chelski.

I'm not sure where we find one TBH. Ideally you want that figure in your defense or midfield, but just not sure where it's coming from...

Hang on, we spent the best part of 100 million the summer before last, that is a big spend and that year, spending wise it was up there with the top teams.It's not like we've had to make do and mend

I was talking about net spend. I think that is a fairer measure to judge our spending because obviously last summer we had a massive Bale sized hole to fill. Also there are a load of clubs that can spend that kind of money without raising it from player sales.

Agree that we lack leaders, but as importantly we lack ability!!! We dont have:
- a decent CB paring: Kaboul is a crock and regularly off the pace and Chiriches is a liability. Whether Verts and Fazio can get and become our rock remains to be seen. Dier is young and you dont get many young CBs in top PL teams
- a natural CM paring which complement each other: our CM options are a mess - Paulinho looks awful, Dembele never passes, Capoue in unproven and we may as well not have Stambouli as he doesnt play. Mason has done well but he's young and only 1 player
- any pace amongst Poch's chosen front four.
- a top class CF

All in all we're a long way short of the level needed to compete for a top 4 spot. We either need to blow a pile of cash or, more realistically, we need to allow Poch the time to get his system engrained in the squad. Leaders will emerge once the team develops

Agree that we lack leaders, but as importantly we lack ability!!! We dont have:
- a decent CB paring: Kaboul is a crock and regularly off the pace and Chiriches is a liability. Whether Verts and Fazio can get and become our rock remains to be seen. Dier is young and you dont get many young CBs in top PL teams
- a natural CM paring which complement each other: our CM options are a mess - Paulinho looks awful, Dembele never passes, Capoue in unproven and we may as well not have Stambouli as he doesnt play. Mason has done well but he's young and only 1 player
- any pace amongst Poch's chosen front four.
- a top class CF

All in all we're a long way short of the level needed to compete for a top 4 spot. We either need to blow a pile of cash or, more realistically, we need to allow Poch the time to get his system engrained in the squad. Leaders will emerge once the team develops

It's actually a bit of both. We need to let him assess the squad, then make the necessary adjustments next summer.

Fair enough but that's a historic trend measured over 5 -10 years.

However, it is the responsibility of management to add value to that net spend in the short term. who's worth more now than the day the signed? Not many of the major signings. Not many of baldini's!

This season certainly isn't over yet but there are teams with a net negative spend much higher in the league than us right now!

Fair enough but that's a historic trend measured over 5 -10 years.

However, it is the responsibility of management to add value to that net spend in the short term. who's worth more now than the day the signed? Not many of the major signings. Not many of baldini's!

This season certainly isn't over yet but there are teams with a net negative spend much higher in the league than us right now!

I'd argue that we have seen the best of Capoue, Chadli and Lamela in a Spurs shirt under Poch but it is early in the season and it will be fairer to judge in May.

Out of interest, other than Southampton, who is ahead of us with a lower net spend?

We desperately lack true leadership.

I think Younes tries really really hard to be a model skipper, and in many ways he is, but when we really need someone to grit it out, fire it up and drive drive drive fellow team-mates to work harder and dig deep, we just don't have it.

Hate to say it, but his Royal Kcnutiness, John Terry, is exactly that for Chelski.

I'm not sure where we find one TBH. Ideally you want that figure in your defense or midfield, but just not sure where it's coming from...

Brings up the question of what other Premier League clubs have the ideal leaders, which ones don't and where are they right now?

IMO:

-Chelsea, Liverpool, City all have one
- I personally don't think Rooney is a great leader. Miel Arteta? Haven't watched much of Arsenal the last couple of seasons but surely he isn't what you would call full on captain material. Certainly not a Viera or Henry.
- Jagielka is decent at Everton as a captain but wouldn't say he's that much more of a leader than Kaboul
- Don't know enough about Fonte who captains Soutmapton to pass comment
- Ashley Williams for Swansea seems decent.
- Kevin Nolan at West Ham I personally think is a very good captain. Brings some grit into the team.

And at the bottom end of the table I'm not sure who captains most of them so I certainly can't pass comment on their captains. Arsenal haven't really had a proper captain for a few seasons but have still managed to finish in a position which I think is to be expected considering the quality of their squad in relation to the rest of the leagues. I think quality is much more important than having a leader. You can get away with not having a leader but if you haven't got the quality you will never get anywhere.

Were a pathetic bunch of weak minded fannies from the top to the bottom

Nothing will ever change until we have a change of mentality and attitude

So many of our players think we have a GHod given right to win every game by just turning up, that was clear to see by that 2nd half gutless performance, im still disgusted now

That's the weirdest thing. TS spoke about this in a refreshingly honest take on how many problems out squad has - he just got labelled as a clueless twonk

That's the weirdest thing. TS spoke about this in a refreshingly honest take on how many problems out squad has - he just got labelled as a clueless twonk

He is a clueless twonk because he went about in entirely the wrong way. All he achieved was to lose the dressing room and look like a complete **** in the process.

I'd argue that we have seen the best of Capoue, Chadli and Lamela in a Spurs shirt under Poch but it is early in the season and it will be fairer to judge in May.

Out of interest, other than Southampton, who is ahead of us with a lower net spend?

Hull, Everton, Swansea and West Ham

We lack movement. Just a bunch of players standing still waiting for someone else to do something

I felt that our big mistake in the summer of 2013 was not signing an experienced player to bring the youngsters through. We have been crying out for a Naybet or Davids signing for a while.

That said, I think that this season was always about Poch assessing the squad and working out who stays and who goes. I am confident that given time and support he will turn the club around.

Agreed. Was going on about an experienced central defender (and central midfielder) this summer.

Some signs that both Fazio and Stambouli can be real characters on the pitch and I feel like we're trying to sign players like that, although they're difficult to find.

Were a pathetic bunch of weak minded fannies from the top to the bottom

Nothing will ever change until we have a change of mentality and attitude

So many of our players think we have a GHod given right to win every game by just turning up, that was clear to see by that 2nd half gutless performance, im still disgusted now

Agreed and I think Poch agrees too. One of the reasons I wanted him, someone "from the Bielsa school". It will take time, but I think he's capable of instilling the right kind of attitude.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29779960

"We need to improve a lot [to get in top four]. It's not tactical or physical it's our mentality,"
"It's a big hit for us."

"We need to be more strong and to have more focus. Today in the second half, straight from the kick-off we conceded a goal. It's crazy."

"Seven or six seconds before [the first goal], all was happiness and there was good energy in the stadium. Our supporters were happy and believed that we would get a good result,"

"But in this moment, I think it was difficult to manage in our head. Our heads had gone and we started to take rash decisions on the pitch.

"It was difficult because 12 or 14 minutes later, we conceded another goal. At 2-1, it was difficult."

"Today it was about a lack on concentration at the start of the second half. We conceded and then the head is gone. It's hard to get the concentration."

I agree fully with Poch here. It did in fact looked like "the head is gone". It wasn't just a lack of effort as some are complaining about in other threads, we seemed to lack composure too, especially after going behind. Players were making unforced errors, poor choice and looked overly stressed and rushed. All of that was caused by a lack of concentration as the second half started. Not the first time we've seen a Spurs team switch off for a set piece, probably not the last time either.

A lot of work to be done.

Too early to judge Poch - in fact the media/fans are starting to look above him.

We may have seen better performances from some but none of those three are yet to justify their fees yet - far from it! I agree that we should consider it all in May but I would expect Poch to be the fall guy then if/when we don't make Europa League.

FYI: Here is a link to the league tables. We are all the way down in 11th! Only 4/5 clubs have a larger net spend than us.

Too early to judge Poch - in fact the media/fans are starting to look above him.

We may have seen better performances from some but none of those three are yet to justify their fees yet - far from it! I agree that we should consider it all in May but I would expect Poch to be the fall guy then if/when we don't make Europa League.

FYI: Here is a link to the league tables. We are all the way down in 11th! Only 4/5 clubs have a larger net spend than us.

The media are always looking for a story and unrealistic fans who jump up and down after nine games give them one on a plate.

I really hope that Poch job is not dependent on European qualification. It is not what I hoped for at the beginning of the season but finishing 8th after Poch has had a good chance to assess the squad may be a blessing in disguise.

You are wrong about net spend. We have the lowest net spend on transfers of any PL club over the last five years

http://transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html

The media are always looking for a story and unrealistic fans who jump up and down after nine games give them one on a plate.

I really hope that Poch job is not dependent on European qualification. It is not what I hoped for at the beginning of the season but finishing 8th after Poch has had a good chance to assess the squad may be a blessing in disguise.

You are wrong about net spend. We have the lowest net spend on transfers of any PL club over the last five years

http://transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html

I don't doubt that this website is strictly correct on net spend data (I haven't looked through the way it calculates it). I also don't doubt that your intent is to illustrate that tottenham cannot compete with Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project and Man Utd in terms of transfer kitty and wages. This is of course not even worth debating.

The data you present is interesting in the fact that on its own you could only conclude that we are doing very very well to even stay in the premier league/championship as our net spend is like that of a seriously failing club (Leeds utd). This of course is not the case and we must consider the data as an unreliable (skewed totally by the bale transfer? invested elsewhere like a stadium) way for measuring our par performance and almost anything else.

Still it's an interesting data set and ripe for its own thread.

I don't doubt that this website is strictly correct on net spend data (I haven't looked through the way it calculates it). I also don't doubt that your intent is to illustrate that tottenham cannot compete with Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project and Man Utd in terms of transfer kitty and wages. This is of course not even worth debating.

The data you present is interesting in the fact that on its own you could only conclude that we are doing very very well to even stay in the premier league/championship as our net spend is like that of a seriously failing club (Leeds utd). This of course is not the case and we must consider the data as an unreliable (skewed totally by the bale transfer? invested elsewhere like a stadium) way for measuring our par performance and almost anything else.

Still it's an interesting data set and ripe for its own thread.

To be fair, I think that a better measure is wages. There is a very strong correlation between final league position and total spend on wages

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/premier-league-player-salaries-club-by-club/

Although the data is a couple of years out of date, this piece (second table in particular) really does reinforce how important a new stadium is to the long term future of the club.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/may/01/premier-league-club-accounts-debt-wages

Back