• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lack of Pressing

It's even worse than a lack of proper pressing as well; our players all seem to think they've got as much time on the ball as they give the other lot.

I just watched the Asteras game again, with a focus on trying to see whether or not we were trying to press - and in fact we clearly were, quite aggressively at times. Just often not very well, hence leaving free players in acres of space between our midfielders and centre-backs.

Not sure I agree with you on Southampton. Lambert is probably the one player that stands out, but he's a hard worker that would dependably put a shift in. Shcneidelin, Wanyama, Davies, Rodgriguez, Lallana all suited that style imo.

It's certainly a stand out problem. It's also (imo) noticeable that our pressing has seemingly gotten worse as the season has progressed. Somewhat worryingly I thought the same pattern was evident in both of AVB's seasons at the club.

I think one reason (not excuse) is that we have EL football. Means two games per week, not from a stamina point of view, but just from a time on the training ground working on stuff it might be a bit limiting compared to what Poch had at Southampton and other examples.

I do think some of our players aren't really suited to that style, at least not currently. Ade, Eriksen and Townsend come to mind. As I have mentioned in other threads I would like to see us start more players like the one's you mention in an attempt to up our pressing game over the coming games. A high pressing game really does depend on all the players working together, no room for passengers.

I really don't understand that if we devalue the EL, play a strong second team in it. The each week, have our consistent best starting line up. Consistency is what is killing us right now. Different teams each and every game, means no one knows when to press, when to go, when to drop. Where the movement is.

Back