• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

Out of the England games with a "Fibula Injury". Assume he picked it up in the friendly. Sure the only way you can injure a bone is a fracture or a break?!

Out of the England games with a "Fibula Injury". Assume he picked it up in the friendly. Sure the only way you can injure a bone is a fracture or a break?!

Yes, Walker was substituted after just 39 minutes against Jamaica.

I wouldn't sell Walker. Don't get me wrong, i think he's been turbo brick this season and he's extremely error prone but we have bigger priorities.

Actually even if we didn't have bigger priorities i still wouldn't sell him. He has the ability to be a very good player so i'll give him another season.

there is definitely potential to Walker, I agree we need another option there but we should still be looking at him as the long term starter

Benny, sadly, is done, it might be he just needs a move or it might be age, but I don't see him getting back to his best for us

I wouldn't sell Walker. Don't get me wrong, i think he's been turbo brick this season and he's extremely error prone but we have bigger priorities.

Actually even if we didn't have bigger priorities i still wouldn't sell him. He has the ability to be a very good player so i'll give him another season.

I'll agree with this. I criticised him heavily during the season, but in the last few months I personally feel he was one of our better players.

False. He's so overrated by this forum, it's quite unbelievable. Must upgrade in the off season.

Overrated here too

The PFA Young Player of the Year (2012) award has been presented to Tottenham and England full-back Kyle Walker.

The 21-year-old Spurs defender beat the likes of Sergio Aguero and Danny Welbeck to win the trophy.

He was very poor up til the new year and then started putting in a few decent shifts, offset with a few poor matches in between. By the end of the season he was excellent IMO. What I find strange is when he was playing well the amount of vitriol spewed out for even a misplaced pass was really hard to understand. Rather curiously the other stick used to beat him with is his speed. The his pace gets him out of trouble line is a little cliched and frankly I can't see it as a negative. If his pace gets him out of trouble for the rest of his career at Spurs then I'll be delighted. To sell him would be a shocking decision and one we would regret.

I'll agree with this. I criticised him heavily during the season, but in the last few months I personally feel he was one of our better players.

Agreed. He finished the season very strongly. He has a lot of potential and I think he will have a better season now. He's gotten through his first tough period for us and bounced back nicely, hopefully he'll grow from that.

his drive and determination alone carried the team for long barren spells before we got our goal in the last 10 minutes in many games.

unfortunately he is a player we'll appreciate more when he isn't playing.

I remember when Dani Alves was slated for his defensive ability. Apart from the beginning of the season just gone he has been the best recovery defender in the world for several years.

What I have come to understand/accept about Walker this year is that, like Alves, it is in his game to be poorly positioned. Such players cannot be expected to be in position at all times, instead they must use their athleticism to a) track back from raids forward and b) to lure the opposition into thinking they can beat them through deliberate 'poor position' before 'recovering' to win the ball.

As with Alves, Walker's physique is certainly up to these tasks, he simply needs to learn a style of defending idiosyncratic to this type of aggressively attacking full-back (very few players fall into this category, with most similar players lacking the physical prerequisites and hence either preferring a wing-back role with more cover structured into the team or as a less attack-minded full-back).

While at Sevilla and even in his first season at Barca he seemed suspect defensively, but by 26/27 he had matured into one of the best players in the world. I'm not saying this will happen for certain with Walker, but with the right coaching he definitely has the potential to become a lethal attacking threat while not exposing us at the back.

When Lennon and Walker were out this season, with Bale playing in the centre/injured we were utter dross due to our lack of width. It seems we are moving to a narrower midfield, or at least one which will require plenty of overlapping from both sides (irrespective of the formation), while Benny is not comfortable hitting the byline, Walker most certainly is. This guy is already a handful for any opposing team, if we give time for him to learn how to make full use of his pace he will cut out the errors and could become one of our key players.

His potential aside, we could not do much better without spending a lot of money. To do so would be pointless on a player of a similar age unless he was ridiculously talented. Even so, we have many other priorities that we could spend such money on including (two) strikers, a central midfielder, a wide-forward and a left-back.

If we could pick up an experienced player to mentor Walker for a couple of million then great, otherwise there is no need to interfere with the development of a promising player (one who, if playing elsewhere, we might all be calling for AVB to sign).

Why do some people never learn on this forum. Who in their right mind would write off a 22 year old full England international who has won PFA Young player of the year who has been inconsistent?! Then the same people end up saying ' I admit I didn't want him here, but am happy I was proved wrong'. Seen it time and time again here....

Back