• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Klinsmann

Not saying he isn't doing a great job, because he is, but it's in the American psyche to run through walls for your country.
Their not doing it for him, they're doing it for the good ole us of a.
It is unforgivable to wear the Stars and Stripes and not give everything.
Personally I think it's admirable.

isnt this the case with all countries/national teams?

hmm, maybe you're right. but i think the usa are probably one of those teams that are between the 15th-30th best teams in the world (*im not going by fifa rankings. just my intuition). and when a team in this zone enters a worldcup, they have an underdog feel to them. and i think this helps produce perfomances that can be perceived as being really determined. i suspect the reality is that almost all players/countries give absolutely everything to the cause during a tournament like the worldcup. even though it may not be apparent sometimes ie. brazil 7-1. i think sometimes when you are as good as spain, the players dont have the opportunity to run around so aggressively, and so they can't display performances like the ones usa gave this worldcup. also regarding the usa, had belgium taken some of their many chances, i wouldnt be surprised if they "hard-working usa" narrative would have been totally different.

i think the england players give just as much as the americans (or any other team) too. but for some reason, our players always seem to look leggy and lethargic. and so i think some people wrongly perceive this as being "lazy". but when rooney gives the reaction that he did after algeria 2010, i think that shows just how much the players cared. and were suffering from the knowlegde that they werent good enough on the day. the english players care just as much imo. and i suspect it really hurts them everytime they aren't able to give a good perfomance. the problem for our team is that we're perceived by other teams to be a worldclass side (rightly imo), and so they just sit back. and unfortunately this doesnt suit our players. im sure the players would prefer to be underdogs. and then they could show an alamo perfomance like the usa.

I know what you mean about underdogs and upsetting the bigger boys. Look at Spain up to 10 years ago, or Portugal, Holland and England. It incredible to think that between those four countries who at various times have dominated club football had only one WC and one EC between them ( if I remember correctly). The footballing powerhouses of France and Denmark have won more than those four combined!
Is it because the players real interest lies in themselves and not for some great love of their country? It's easy to stand and sing the anthem, say all the right things in the interview and get the tattoos but I think most of the big players see it as a hassle.

Do you remember when he turned us down as a manager as we were not a big enough club for him?

Back