• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kids don't win trophies

Poch's young and malleable players model has given us our most successful season in 53 years.

Why abandoned it for what we knew was flawed and unhealthy when Hoddle (Poyet, Sheringham, Redknapp) and Redknapp (Saha, Nelson, Parker) tried it?

Agree 100%. No doubt someone will mention Schmeichel captaining the United treble winning side but they were a side that didnt need leadership like we seem to.
Personally I think Kane will end up as permanent captain within a few seasons.

Well of the candidates we have at the moment you may be right but I have always preferred a capt that is in the centre of everything and for me that is CM. With all the talk of us signing a CM player I am hoping we can get one that will have the ability to be a capt ( and despite what some may say it is a talent that not many have imo).

Poch's young and malleable players model has given us our most successful season in 53 years.

Why abandoned it for what we knew was flawed and unhealthy when Hoddle (Poyet, Sheringham, Redknapp) and Redknapp (Saha, Nelson, Parker) tried it?

I agree that we shouldn't abandon what we're doing but I disagree with your points about Redknapp's experienced players. Nelson was a squad filler and in the games he played he wasn't terrible nor great. Saha put us 1-0 up in a very important NLD that we should have won. Parker was actually a very good player for us.

And most importantly you forgot Gallas who put some phenomenal defensive displays for us and whose experience proved invaluable in the Champions League.

Sigh... Outperform any reasonable expectation, still get the same old cliches.

Exactly, there need be no excuse for coming 2nd/3rd for a club that for the last 20 years would bite off your arm for 4th.

My opinion,

- we played as well as could have been reasonably expected
- We did start slow because we didn't have our first team locked in (people forget Dier/Dembele/Alli were not certain starters for anyone at start of season, Lamela was questionable until at least a 3rd of season in and in fact this is Toby's first season with us as well. All those players have made themselves absolute owners of their position now, but it took time).

Reason we are 2nd/3rd instead of 4th

- Leicester didn't give us a chance, winning our last two games instead of draw/loss, still wouldn't have changed the end result.
- Leicester really has had an amazing season, very few injuries or suspensions, players have kept form for full season and (this one to me is critical), they played a lot of sides when those sides were struggling for form/on bad run. Luck plays a big part in championship seasons, and they have had the rub this season ...

Experience in my opinion would not changed the result, and this side now has a lot more experience as a result of this year, so onwards and upwards.

Back