• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Keano

considering how **** we've been defensively, i am staggered a defender won the award 4 out of 5 times from 96 to 00.

Not sure our defence was that bad as individuals, more a case of our midfield being so **** and overrun leaving the defence with an impossible task.
Campbell was a giant at the back, while Carr was more about what he did going forward than actually defending.

Keane was a very good striker, imo just short of that very top tier, bit like JD, if he has only enough time to react on instinct, he does well, given time to overthink it, likely to fluff it.

Couple of things I will remember him for

- The partnership with Berbatov, the year when both of them got into 20+ goals
- His volley, first time volley to the ball coming over the shoulder, he was one of the best I've seen.

Brilliant international record in a **** team as well.

Carried LA to last title.

My favourite player when we were transitioning from mid table mediocrity to European regulars.

Second only to Berbatov as the 00's best striker. Their partnership truly was a thing of beauty, the best duo I think I've ever seen up front. Was the most lethal partnership in England at the time.

I think people like to play down how good he was before he left because they are clouded by how average he was when he came back.

I will always stand by the opinion that he made Berbatov better almost as much as Berbatov made him better. That partnership was just incredible, 91 goals in 2 season together, with Defoe grabbing 18 in 06-07 as third choice.

I don't think anyone really was upset at Keane.

They were just upset at the fact that he was on his way to becoming a Spurs legend, in the truest sense of the word and it was somewhat soured. It was a sense of what might have been, rather than bitterness towards him.

Also, the moment when in tears he fights his way through a crowd of people to give Berba a hug after the CC final...had a little lump in my throat.

Our best player?

Better than Berbatov? Better than Carrick?

Not for me.

Edit: And better than King? :eek:

Whilst Berbatov is probably the most technical, skillfull and most gifted striker we had in the 00's, he only played for us for two seasons and you could argue Keane was almost as good in stats and performances....

Carrick, he became a beast of a player once he signed for utd but never really looks like a world beater for us.

King, arguably our best defender of a all time, or at least right up there.... The respect I have for this man is as high as I have for a footballer.... But my memory says that he struggled for the majority of his career post Campbell leaving when he became the main man to play a full season. His performances when he played where a true leaders. But sadly his injuries did not allow him to do it often enough....

Keane in those 6 seasons had a very good strike rate considering the **** he played with being player of the season in 3 of those! He almost single handedly kept us afloat and when Berbatov came he stepped up to another level and was instrumental in the rise of our club to the level we are at today!

So yes, for me, Keane is the player of the 00's, no one was as consistent over such a long period of time for us

All this talk of our best 00's player - Are you all forgetting a certain player named Jermain whose last name isn't Defoe?

Whilst Berbatov is probably the most technical, skillfull and most gifted striker we had in the 00's, he only played for us for two seasons and you could argue Keane was almost as good in stats and performances....

Carrick, he became a beast of a player once he signed for utd but never really looks like a world beater for us.

King, arguably our best defender of a all time, or at least right up there.... The respect I have for this man is as high as I have for a footballer.... But my memory says that he struggled for the majority of his career post Campbell leaving when he became the main man to play a full season. His performances when he played where a true leaders. But sadly his injuries did not allow him to do it often enough....

Keane in those 6 seasons had a very good strike rate considering the **** he played with being player of the season in 3 of those! He almost single handedly kept us afloat and when Berbatov came he stepped up to another level and was instrumental in the rise of our club to the level we are at today!

So yes, for me, Keane is the player of the 00's, no one was as consistent over such a long period of time for us

Confusion in terms I suppose.

If we're talking about overall total influence, across the decade that's something different from "best" imo. I would still go for King personally, but that probably puts Keane ahead of Berbatov and Carrick.

Carrick was immense for us btw. In two seasons he went from "the one that didn't make it" at West Ham in the Championship that no big club was close to signing to being sold for £18m as a non-goalscoring central/deep midfielder. Again a question of definition, but for me at least if Carrick didn't look like a world beater for us then neither did Keane.

Both King and Keane became better when they played with better players is a more fair description imo.

There are 2 things that bugged me about the whole Keano to Liverpool transfer.

1. When it happened, you had many Liverpool fans hailing the signing as Keano was a top striker who could finish the chances that the team was already creating. However, we Spurs fans thought the complete opposite of him. He was a player who was great at creating something out of nothing. He was sneaky, tricky, innovative and could pull something out of the box. He was not someone you would put your house on scoring in a one-on-one situation. In fact, by the end of it, seeing Keano break through for a one-on-one barely got you out of the chair - you knew the end result would be a shot against the keepers shins.

2. At Spurs, Keano had found his level. He wasn't a world beater, but he was better than average. He was certainly one of our better players, the sort of player that stands out at a team battling upper mid-table, but would struggle at a team looking to consistently be in the top 4. Similarly, Liverpool were at about our level or at least on trend to get to our level very soon. He had no reason to want to go to Liverpool except for it being his "boyhood club". That stung. He was a footballing nomad for so long who made his home at WHL. The fact he could leave to join a rival purely out of some emotional attachment to that club damages the years he'd previously spent at ours. When he was leading our troops on to the field at Anfield, was he wishing he was wearing red instead?

I can understand Modric, Bale, Berbatov etc wanting to move because they believe they are "too good" for Spurs. Some players are. It's our job to make sure Spurs gets better so no player is too good for us. But while we still struggle to make the Champions League, there will be players who come and go who have visions beyond our limits. Keane wasn't such a player. It showed at his time at Liverpool and subsequent to that, that his level was Spurs if not lower.

There are 2 things that bugged me about the whole Keano to Liverpool transfer.

1. When it happened, you had many Liverpool fans hailing the signing as Keano was a top striker who could finish the chances that the team was already creating. However, we Spurs fans thought the complete opposite of him. He was a player who was great at creating something out of nothing. He was sneaky, tricky, innovative and could pull something out of the box. He was not someone you would put your house on scoring in a one-on-one situation. In fact, by the end of it, seeing Keano break through for a one-on-one barely got you out of the chair - you knew the end result would be a shot against the keepers shins.

2. At Spurs, Keano had found his level. He wasn't a world beater, but he was better than average. He was certainly one of our better players, the sort of player that stands out at a team battling upper mid-table, but would struggle at a team looking to consistently be in the top 4. Similarly, Liverpool were at about our level or at least on trend to get to our level very soon. He had no reason to want to go to Liverpool except for it being his "boyhood club". That stung. He was a footballing nomad for so long who made his home at WHL. The fact he could leave to join a rival purely out of some emotional attachment to that club damages the years he'd previously spent at ours. When he was leading our troops on to the field at Anfield, was he wishing he was wearing red instead?

I can understand Modric, Bale, Berbatov etc wanting to move because they believe they are "too good" for Spurs. Some players are. It's our job to make sure Spurs gets better so no player is too good for us. But while we still struggle to make the Champions League, there will be players who come and go who have visions beyond our limits. Keane wasn't such a player. It showed at his time at Liverpool and subsequent to that, that his level was Spurs if not lower.

Super post and as I think back I think most everyone knew we were going to lose Berbatov, but nobody saw Keane leaving. That was a complete blindside especially to Pool who were on the decline and as the reasons you pointed above that is what made it such a bitter pill

Back