• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Just Where Are The Club Going?

To answer the OP, I would have to say "in the right direction" and I have wholeheartedly agreed with every one of "Spursalot's" posts in this thread.

I am rightly proud of the way our club is run and I allow Levy to make the right decisions to keep us solvent and a going concern. This might sound very business-like, but this is what we have to be!

I will admit that I got carried away last night with the "Moutinho" stuff and would have welcomed Willian and Llorente to WHL, but could we have afforded £60 odd million in transfer fees plus £300k+ per week in transfer fees for unproven PL players? We cannot afford to gamble our financial security away!

To the Original Poster

Stock Market, two reasons come easily to mind

1. There is a cost to maintaining a PLC, administration, reporting, etc. This also affects point 2
2. It is easier to get financing for the stadium with ENIC as sole owners (and potentially better interest rates as well).

So answer is it simply made fiscal sense and was potentially necessary to facilitate the next major step in the clubs history, i.e. the Stadium project

New management, mostly speculation, but some logical reasoning

- The club is looking to modernize it's approach, new facilities for training, hopefully improved youth - senior transition, new stadium that will bring with it a greater role in the local area and community
- Add in some of the challenges/disagreements with previous manager, plus the fact that this was always going to be a significant squad change summer, the club moved to be proactive and ambitious.
- Is AVB the real deal? I don't know, but I will call you out on the 3 dire performances, imo, only today was truly poor.

Transfer Window, my view

- everyone thinks it's so easy to do transfers, one big reason it isn't is clubs like Cheat$ki/City/Anzi/PSG/Pool/etc. No team is going to sell their "prize assets" for cheap early when the chance is one of those will swoop in and pay double market value, so a lot of the clubs wait until it looks like those clubs have finished doing their business.
- If this brick is so easy, and clubs should just spend the money, why did Real take so long to get Modric, after all, what's 5M here or there?
- Liverpool is a much bigger club in terms of what they will spend, wages, attraction globally, where is their World Class striker? again, so many of them out of work right now, dying to come to a non CL club that will pay sub 100K wages *sarcasm*

Squad

- Can we stop with the King/VDV/Modric conversation, yes they have gone, but none were the action of the club, it happens.
- You need 4 strikers if you play two up front, seems under AVB we won't
- We have 4 keepers because nobody wants to buy Gomes/Carlo, just like nobody wants JJ/Bentley/Thudd
- You complain about lack of WC, yet when the club saw a player that has as much potential to be WC as Bale (Lloris) become available and bought him, we have too many keepers??

And to the whole myth of Spurs being an asset for sale, if ENIC wanted to sell Spurs purely for profit, they should have done it years ago, or at worst, when we qualified for CL. Does not make sense running a hundred million dollar business for a decade to then sell it, payback over time simply not enough

What people need to temper their emotion with is the hard facts

- Tottenham as a club and a business is operating in a sport where numerous of our competition are simply not playing by the rules. The Spanish and Italian clubs for decades have benefitted from Government funding, tax abatements and corruption. The sugar daddy clubs are now not just one off cases, and FIFA/EUFA are protecting their own interest.
- Add in the player power shift and the dependency on CL money to move up (with 6+ clubs fighting for 4 spots), it's not so black and white.

You should be worried for the future of the Club, so should Scum and Pool fans, the game is stacked against us. Just not for the emotional spew that most people are on.

Is it emotional spew when the club you have been going to watch since 1972 is in the hands of a clueless manager? No amount of discussion on finances, structure etc will detract fom the fact that AVB hasnt a clue

Is it emotional spew when the club you have been going to watch since 1972 is in the hands of a clueless manager? No amount of discussion on finances, structure etc will detract fom the fact that AVB hasnt a clue

Well yes, that is emotional spew. You're taking the fact that he lost the first three games and your upset, therefore you call him clueless.

If we aren't willing to break our record transfer fee (£16m), then we are going to have to accept that 4th is the ceiling. Which makes the criticism of Jol and Redknapp look even more ludicrous!

This point comes up from time to time, which I would agree with. The argument against this is that Jol or Redknapp didnt have the tactical ability to create a system/style of play that didnt rely on key players and if we had a manager like Wenger, Ferguson or someone like AVB we would be able to compete at the top level on a lower budget.

This is serious pressure on one guy to have to deal with. And imho unrealistic, competing for the title now is like a clean cyclist trying to win the tour de france. City and Chelsea are so far financially doped that its almost impossible for them to fail regularly as even if they have a bad year they can spend 100m+ more to fix it. Obviously, even if you can get up there, you still cant compete on the wages side and will lose your best players to them anyway. It is effectively fixed.

The problem is being a fan you tend to think more emotionally and live in the fairytale world where we are always just one or two players away from winning the league.

Mate, if you have watched Tottenham since 1972, you have seen much worse managers, players, squads and games that the 1st three of this season.

And the question was the direction of the club, even if AVB turns out to be the next Ramos, we will move on.

To the Original Poster

1. There is a cost to maintaining a PLC, administration, reporting, etc. This also affects point 2
2. It is easier to get financing for the stadium with ENIC as sole owners (and potentially better interest rates as well).

So answer is it simply made fiscal sense and was potentially necessary to facilitate the next major step in the clubs history, i.e. the Stadium project

- The club is looking to modernize it's approach, new facilities for training, hopefully improved youth - senior transition, new stadium that will bring with it a greater role in the local area and community
- Add in some of the challenges/disagreements with previous manager, plus the fact that this was always going to be a significant squad change summer, the club moved to be proactive and ambitious.
- Is AVB the real deal? I don't know, but I will call you out on the 3 dire performances, imo, only today was truly poor.

Transfer Window, my view

- everyone thinks it's so easy to do transfers, one big reason it isn't is clubs like Cheat$ki/City/Anzi/PSG/Pool/etc. No team is going to sell their "prize assets" for cheap early when the chance is one of those will swoop in and pay double market value, so a lot of the clubs wait until it looks like those clubs have finished doing their business.
- If this brick is so easy, and clubs should just spend the money, why did Real take so long to get Modric, after all, what's 5M here or there?
- Liverpool is a much bigger club in terms of what they will spend, wages, attraction globally, where is their World Class striker? again, so many of them out of work right now, dying to come to a non CL club that will pay sub 100K wages *sarcasm*

Squad

- Can we stop with the King/VDV/Modric conversation, yes they have gone, but none were the action of the club, it happens.
- We have 4 keepers because nobody wants to buy Gomes/Carlo, just like nobody wants JJ/Bentley/Thudd
- You complain about lack of WC, yet when the club saw a player that has as much potential to be WC as Bale (Lloris) become available and bought him, we have too many keepers??

And to the whole myth of Spurs being an asset for sale, if ENIC wanted to sell Spurs purely for profit, they should have done it years ago, or at worst, when we qualified for CL. Does not make sense running a hundred million dollar business for a decade to then sell it, payback over time simply not enough

- Tottenham as a club and a business is operating in a sport where numerous of our competition are simply not playing by the rules. The Spanish and Italian clubs for decades have benefitted from Government funding, tax abatements and corruption. The sugar daddy clubs are now not just one off cases, and FIFA/EUFA are protecting their own interest.
- Add in the player power shift and the dependency on CL money to move up (with 6+ clubs fighting for 4 spots), it's not so black and white.

You should be worried for the future of the Club, so should Scum and Pool fans, the game is stacked against us. Just not for the emotional spew that most people are on.

Absolutely spot on. And if you think the new stadium is going to change much it won't. See Arsenal. There's only so far massively increased gate receipts and corporate sponsorship gets you. You still won't be able to compete with the oil money - even with 55,000 season ticket holders.

Infact I'm still astonished at people who don't respect Levy. I find his transfer brinkmanship a tad frustrating, but if you look at our league performances over the last decade, we perform way above our weight in terms of the wages we are able to pay and the income we generate. I think we've finished top 5 in 5 out of the last 10 years, that's 50% of the time!

I'll be brief, i think "we" have decided to stay within touching distance of the top 4 until the stadium is done. We'll spend less than the top 4 and spend more than anyone who threatens our 5th place. Thats it.

EDIT: I can't say i disagree with that now, but we really did miss some opportunities in various transfer windows the last couple of seasons to have cemented 4th place for ourselves. That would have been an astounding achievement and i think we could have done it.

Last edited:
If we aren't willing to break our record transfer fee (£16m), then we are going to have to accept that 4th is the ceiling. Which makes the criticism of Jol and Redknapp look even more ludicrous!

Perhaps thats the natural ceiling of any club without a sugar daddy to fund them and we have to accept it until we ge taken over by Sheikh Yomuni..

Of course if you really want it we could always go out a over spend on transfer fees and wages have our one season of glory in the Champions League and then slip into lower division obscurity a.l.a Leeds United.

Infact I'm still astonished at people who don't respect Levy. I find his transfer brinkmanship a tad frustrating, but if you look at our league performances over the last decade, we perform way above our weight in terms of the wages we are able to pay and the income we generate. I think we've finished top 5 in 5 out of the last 10 years, that's 50% of the time!

Isn't it 5 out of the last 7?

To the Original Poster

Transfer Window, my view

Squad

Very good post

Perhaps thats the natural ceiling of any club without a sugar daddy to fund them and we have to accept it until we ge taken over by Sheikh Yomuni..

Of course if you really want it we could always go out a over spend on transfer fees and wages have our one season of glory in the Champions League and then slip into lower division obscurity a.l.a Leeds United.

Where did I say I want us to do a Leeds? All I meant was the criticism of previous managers for the "failure" to get higher than 5th/4th considering our budget is preposterous.

Another thing, if the club bids £22m for a player, isn't it a given that we can afford the fee without "doing a Leeds"?

The club is going to the dogs. Old stadium, will take ages to build whilst Arsenal will have excess amounts to spend should they dispense with Wenger. Rebuild the fudging West Stand and do it like the one Leeds have. Hence no need for major overhaul. We're not gonna fill 60k every week with this crap.
By the time we have built the stadium the money may have disappeared from the game cant sustain a model like this paying players all this money without huge debt. We'll then be left with a white elephant

Livermore is brick or more politely not a top 4 player, Defoe is thick hasn't changed or altered his game in 10 years of watching play, yet AVB wants him to lead the line lol
As for Sig - the jury is out on him he has gone missing in these last two home games maybe the step up from Swansea to us is too much, though early days.
The team looked tired today and a lack of ideas. No cutting edge to pass through defences.

The only positives - AVB does wear stylish suits - is it Armani?
Also, Joe Lewis was a the ground today maybe he's looking to plough more money in or looking for the right time to fudge off

We've also had some very good players and managers, all deserve credit not just the chairman.

I don't think anyone doesn't respect him, they are just tired of his usual deadline day tactics, plus taking forever to sign Adebayor. It's almost like he's willing to just write off the first two games of every season. People are also unhappy for various other reasons that have been well documented.

We've also had some very good players and managers, all deserve credit not just the chairman.

I don't think anyone doesn't respect him, they are just tired of his usual deadline day tactics, plus taking forever to sign Adebayor. It's almost like he's willing to just write off the first two games of every season. People are also unhappy for various other reasons that have been well documented.

Assuming that the Adebayor delay was on our side and not on City's?

Back