• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Just back

The booooing at the end was disgraceful and uncalled for, it's not like the players didn't try!

Now is the time we need to be patient, stick together and back the manager.

The media are waiting for any ammunition to jump all over AVB!
Our fans will be horrible is we go on a bad run of form - I think AVB could be a long-term manager for us, so, as you say, we need to keep on backing him.

It's not his fault that our transfer dealings haven't been sorted yet.

Our fans will be horrible is we go on a bad run of form - I think AVB could be a long-term manager for us, so, as you say, we need to keep on backing him.

It's not his fault that our transfer dealings haven't been sorted yet.

I agree with this but at the same time we have some bloody good players at our disposal. The problem is, they don't fit into this system AVB is trying to play. I just wish that AVB had gone for evolution, not revolution.

I agree with this but at the same time we have some bloody good players at our disposal. The problem is, they don't fit into this system AVB is trying to play. I just wish that AVB had gone for evolution, not revolution.
How is AVB going for 'revolution'? Say we sign someone to replace Modric - then our starting XI will be largely the same as last season! The way in which they play won't be too much different IMO, I think people are looking too far into this.

How is AVB going for 'revolution'? Say we sign someone to replace Modric - then our starting XI will be largely the same as last season! The way in which they play won't be too much different IMO, I think people are looking too far into this.

Switching to 4-5-1 when key players such as VDV & Lennon don't seem able to play in that system.
Pressing game, although it wasn't evident yesterday this effectively nullifies the likes of VDV and Huddlestone being able to be effective in the side.
High line. Ruling out the likes of Dawson (who I rate better than Kaboul) and judging from yesterday possibly Verts too! Friedel isn't the fastest off his line either so by introducing this system you really put the team at risk.

With Modric almost certainly gone, I'd have preferred us to played with two banks of four and made VDV the main man up top allowing him to roam. At least until we have a quality Modric replacement in the centre of the park. I'd have preferred us to not play the high line or press high up the pitch and play Huddlestone/Sandro in the middle and get the ball out to the wingers faster. And then once we have the correct forward, correct right winger (admittedly this may be GDS), correct central midfielder and correct centre half to play the new system and formation, then change it.

I personally felt that with our 4-4-x system from last season we were very close to a great team. IMO we only needed a centre half, a quality forward and cover for the right wing to be a team capable of challenging for the title. Verts would have been that centre half partnered with Dawson IMO. But now? By switching to 4-5-1 and playing this high line? I think we're 5 players away from challenging for the top four.

It's easy to find faults when that's what you want to find. Some of the criticism is based on little more than a personal preference for Dawson or Hudd.

It's easy to find faults when that's what you want to find. Some of the criticism is based on little more than a personal preference for Dawson or Hudd.

I find that quite an arrogant thing to type. Just dismiss any concerns because of personal preference? I must be living in a dream world. Last season we got slated during our bad run and yet, Norwich & Arsenal aside, the last two Premiership games we have played worse than at anytime during that awful run.

I find that quite an arrogant thing to type. Just dismiss any concerns because of personal preference? I must be living in a dream world. Last season we got slated during our bad run and yet, Norwich & Arsenal aside, the last two Premiership games we have played worse than at anytime during that awful run.

Wasn't aimed at you, but some seem quite eager to find faults with AVB.

Switching to 4-5-1 when key players such as VDV & Lennon don't seem able to play in that system.
Pressing game, although it wasn't evident yesterday this effectively nullifies the likes of VDV and Huddlestone being able to be effective in the side.
High line. Ruling out the likes of Dawson (who I rate better than Kaboul) and judging from yesterday possibly Verts too! Friedel isn't the fastest off his line either so by introducing this system you really put the team at risk.

With Modric almost certainly gone, I'd have preferred us to played with two banks of four and made VDV the main man up top allowing him to roam. At least until we have a quality Modric replacement in the centre of the park. I'd have preferred us to not play the high line or press high up the pitch and play Huddlestone/Sandro in the middle and get the ball out to the wingers faster. And then once we have the correct forward, correct right winger (admittedly this may be GDS), correct central midfielder and correct centre half to play the new system and formation, then change it.

I personally felt that with our 4-4-x system from last season we were very close to a great team. IMO we only needed a centre half, a quality forward and cover for the right wing to be a team capable of challenging for the title. Verts would have been that centre half partnered with Dawson IMO. But now? By switching to 4-5-1 and playing this high line? I think we're 5 players away from challenging for the top four.
IMO, Lennon has played very well in the last two games - unfortunately the only man he's had to pick out in the middle has been Defoe. Not ideal when he manages to beat his man so many times. I think the high line worked alright yesterday, with Livermore and Sandro protecting the defence yesterday there wasn't too many problems. But after Sandro came off, there needs to be some flexibility whereby the lack of midfield cover enables the defence to sit a bit further back - Gallas wasn't able to hold the line afterwards.

After two games I don't think we can really look too far into how well this new system is doing. Once we have done all our transfer dealings and AVB has a full squad to pick from, then we can pick apart the success/failings of the team. If you look at the last two games - a fit creative central midfielder like Modric would have made a lot of difference. And with the amount of crosses that were put in yesterday, a fully fit Adebayor might have taken the wind out of West Brom before they had got any momentum.

I don't think we're too many players away from challenging again. The problem is, other teams are at this moment! Come the 1st September, we can assess the squad IMO.

So basically the new manager should be give time to implement his system but at the same time he shouldn't be given the benefit and faith in doing so?

How predictable to see the usual faces emerge as soon as AVB hit 2 bad games in a row (nowhere to be seen prior) - and it WILL be like that till the very end

IMO, Lennon has played very well in the last two games - unfortunately the only man he's had to pick out in the middle has been Defoe. Not ideal when he manages to beat his man so many times. I think the high line worked alright yesterday, with Livermore and Sandro protecting the defence yesterday there wasn't too many problems. But after Sandro came off, there needs to be some flexibility whereby the lack of midfield cover enables the defence to sit a bit further back - Gallas wasn't able to hold the line afterwards.

After two games I don't think we can really look too far into how well this new system is doing. Once we have done all our transfer dealings and AVB has a full squad to pick from, then we can pick apart the success/failings of the team. If you look at the last two games - a fit creative central midfielder like Modric would have made a lot of difference. And with the amount of crosses that were put in yesterday, a fully fit Adebayor might have taken the wind out of West Brom before they had got any momentum.

I don't think we're too many players away from challenging again. The problem is, other teams are at this moment! Come the 1st September, we can assess the squad IMO.

I was in 5th or 6th row of the East stand yesterday, almost in line with the edge of the penalty box and I can tell you for a certainty that Lennon in the second half was very poor. He seemed to have a real lack of effort, but I also think he is struggling with the type of wing play he is being asked to perform. Hopefully he'll adapt.

Back