• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

We'll know a bit more about him when he's had the whole season at Villa. Hopefully he will do well enough to at least get a loan to a Premier League team next season.
Hopefully he'll do better than that, he'll come straight back and win a permanent place in our squad. It'll be tough because of the number of players ahead of him but he has one very special quality that can make the difference: he can come from deep, open up defences and create goal scoring opportunities.

Of course he will also need to demonstrate that he has desire and determination to run and chase and harry like every Tottenham CM needs to be able to. His commitment to the Tottenham work ethic is something many posters on here have questioned about him, to my mind quite unfairly.

So his challenge will be to show he can produce all those qualities at the highest level. I personally believe it is a challenge he is well capable of meeting.

Hopefully he'll do better than that, he'll come straight back and win a permanent place in our squad. It'll be tough because of the number of players ahead of him but he has one very special quality that can make the difference: he can come from deep, open up defences and create goal scoring opportunities.

Of course he will also need to demonstrate that he has desire and determination to run and chase and harry like every Tottenham CM needs to be able to. His commitment to the Tottenham work ethic is something many posters on here have questioned about him, to my mind quite unfairly.

So his challenge will be to show he can produce all those qualities at the highest level. I personally believe it is a challenge he is well capable of meeting.
Very true. I don't think Poch loaned him out because he lacked commitment. If going by the Villa fans comments is anything to go by, it seems like he has that in abundance. He was loaned out was because he needed to step up mentally, which is what I am hoping his stint at Villa allows him to do. Imagine a midfield rotation of Winks, Dier, Wanny, and an Onomah that lives up to his potential. Would be superb! And so fudging young, too!

The difference between doing that at youth international level and Premier League level is massive.

Then I guess we will have to wait until hopefully he gets a chance in his preferred central midfield position for us. The simple fact is that he looks a more confident player in a central midfield berth.

I am just so happy that at 20 he looks a real player against "men" in that division.

Last edited:
Then I guess we will have to wait until hopefully he gets a chance in his preferred central midfield position for us. The simple fact is that he looks a more confident player in a central midfield birth.

I am just so happy that at 20 he looks a real player against "men" in that division.
I agree with patience for him, and other young players.

I think he will get his chances in that position. He has the talent, seems to have the attitude and I think Pochettino rates him. A good loan spell at Villa could be enough to get him ready.

Based upon what we have seen of either in first team football Ive no idea how you can reach that conclusion.

Winks has been excellent, and IMO has a long way to go before he finds his ceiling.

Onomah? meh. He has shown very little to suggest to me he has a particularly high ceiling at all.
Because I am not basing it on first team football, I am basing it on what I saw from both players as they have come up through the ranks.

I can remember a large amount of Spurs fans wrote Harry Kane off because he didn't look that good at 18 or 19. Those that had watched him come through in youth football knew that he would make it however. Onomah has generally always been the best player in his age group, he has maintained that up to under 20 international level IMO. His attributes are a little different to Harry Winks' and I think he is (or will become) a Dembele type player who can receive the ball even when marked and then takes the ball, overcomes his marker and builds the attack from there. Having watched him for a few years I think it will be at around 22 or 23 when he will really be flourishing as he reaches his physical peak.

Question to those who watch/have watched our youth players closely: why you think Onomah has gone out on loan whilst Winks has stayed and played at the club?
What is it about the attributes of these two players currently that has led to the different ways Poch is managing them this season?

I'd especially be interested in @Yoof views on this one.

Ta

Winks is a bit more mature in his defensive play; senses danger, tracks runs, perhaps positions himself better etc - which I suspect is the main reason he's been trusted to play CM whilst Josh has been pushed further forward. I think the whole best position thing has been done to death so I won't really go there but anyone who has seen him play CM will know the quality he has. I do still think Onomah has the higher ceiling of the two which I know will sound crazy to those who have only seen them at first team level but we're not so far removed from their youth careers that I can just erase the past four of five years that I've been watching them for. I'm not fan of the Villa loan move for various reasons but Josh just needs to stick at it and hopefully he'll be able to force his way into the conversation with us next season.

Would be nice if thats the case, but Id be wary of putting too much stock in youth football performances.

Have to agree with this - youth football is a world away from first team standard and who actually makes the step up often seems to be pot luck with many hotly tipped players disappearing in to obscurity.

I think what you see of a player breaking in to the team tells you more about his trajectory than all the time beforehand, although it should be said that highly rated youth players like Onomah deserve time and patience based on their youth reputation, but it's entirely in the balance as to whether he fulfills his potential based on what we have seen of him so far.

Also regarding the comment re Kane in FiBs post - according to McDermot it sounds like half the coaches who worked with him at Spurs were uncertain whether he'd make the grade, including McDermot himself

Have to agree with this - youth football is a world away from first team standard and who actually makes the step up often seems to be pot luck with many hotly tipped players disappearing in to obscurity.

I think what you see of a player breaking in to the team tells you more about his trajectory than all the time beforehand, although it should be said that highly rated youth players like Onomah deserve time and patience based on their youth reputation, but it's entirely in the balance as to whether he fulfills his potential based on what we have seen of him so far.

Also regarding the comment re Kane in FiBs post - according to McDermot it sounds like half the coaches who worked with him at Spurs were uncertain whether he'd make the grade, including McDermot himself
We've also seen players break through looking great only to fade into obscurity.

The step up from youth football is big, but youth football does say something about potential. And with Pochettino running things the chances of fulfilling that potential is significant greater than under many other managers. That's not luck, that's hard and focused work paying off.

We're right to be very excited about Onomah. Accepting that there's a significant chance he won't make it with us.

We've also seen players break through looking great only to fade into obscurity.

The step up from youth football is big, but youth football does say something about potential. And with Pochettino running things the chances of fulfilling that potential is significant greater than under many other managers. That's not luck, that's hard and focused work paying off.

We're right to be very excited about Onomah. Accepting that there's a significant chance he won't make it with us.

If the bold is on response to my line about it being pot luck as to who makes the step up then just to clarify I mean that from an outsiders POV making a call on who makes it and who doesn't, obviously it's down to hard work and ability on the players side - I think it's probably quite hard to make an accurate assessment on whether a player will make that step up based purely on what they do at youth level.

And yeah fair point re players fading after initially looking good when breaking in to first team football, though I'd probably hazard a guess the turnaround for those that shine bright and then eventually fade away would be over a relatively short period of time rather than say a season or two.

Last edited:
Back