• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Pochettino wasn't seen as a great coup when we got him. There were plenty of other names mentioned at the time that were seen as a better choice.
Poch wasn’t wanted at Southampton either
Atkins was doing a good job and I don’t think Poch did any better results wise
It shows that giving the right people the right opportunities is key

Potter had managed overseas already for 7 years

I actually didnt realise that. He goes up in my estimation in that case given he's managerial education is broader and he's actually won things (as well as playing good football, despite average players). There's plenty of managers who have done 'something' in lower league English football, but regular promotions in an unfamiliar environment speak more to a manager's capabilities. For me, that puts him close to Rodgers and Nagelsmann as options...

From wiki:

In December 2010, Potter signed a three-year contract as coach of Östersund, who were then playing in the fourth tier of Swedish football, starting on 24 January 2011.[11] Potter was offered the job after Graeme Jones, his friend and assistant to Roberto Martínez at Swansea City, recommended him to chairman Daniel Kindberg after their pre-season friendly with Swansea.[12]

In 2013, after two successive promotions, Potter extended his contract with the club for another three years.[13] On 27 October 2015, Östersund secured promotion to the Swedish top flight, Allsvenskan, for the first time in their history following a second-place finish in the 2015 Superettan.[14] Östersund finished their debut season in eighth place, winning plaudits for their "slick passing game" and competing on a limited budget.[15][16]

On 13 April 2017, Potter's Östersund team won the Svenska Cupen, beating Norrköping 4–1 in the final.[17] This granted the team a place in the second qualifying round of the 2017–18 UEFA Europa League where they defeated Galatasaray 3–1 on aggregate.[18] In the third round they defeated Fola Esch 3–1 on aggregate[19] and in the play-offs they knocked out PAOK (3–3 on aggregate with more away goals), thus securing a historic entry into the Europa League group stage.[20][15] They finished second in their group, level on points with Athletic Bilbao.[21] Despite beating Arsenal 2–1 at the Emirates Stadium, they were eliminated from the competition after losing 4–2 on aggregate.[22] Östersund finished their domestic league season in fifth place.[18]

I actually didnt realise that. He goes up in my estimation in that case given he's managerial education is broader and he's actually won things (as well as playing good football, despite average players). There's plenty of managers who have done 'something' in lower league English football, but regular promotions in an unfamiliar environment speak more to a manager's capabilities. For me, that puts him close to Rodgers and Nagelsmann as options...

From wiki:

In December 2010, Potter signed a three-year contract as coach of Östersund, who were then playing in the fourth tier of Swedish football, starting on 24 January 2011.[11] Potter was offered the job after Graeme Jones, his friend and assistant to Roberto Martínez at Swansea City, recommended him to chairman Daniel Kindberg after their pre-season friendly with Swansea.[12]

In 2013, after two successive promotions, Potter extended his contract with the club for another three years.[13] On 27 October 2015, Östersund secured promotion to the Swedish top flight, Allsvenskan, for the first time in their history following a second-place finish in the 2015 Superettan.[14] Östersund finished their debut season in eighth place, winning plaudits for their "slick passing game" and competing on a limited budget.[15][16]

On 13 April 2017, Potter's Östersund team won the Svenska Cupen, beating Norrköping 4–1 in the final.[17] This granted the team a place in the second qualifying round of the 2017–18 UEFA Europa League where they defeated Galatasaray 3–1 on aggregate.[18] In the third round they defeated Fola Esch 3–1 on aggregate[19] and in the play-offs they knocked out PAOK (3–3 on aggregate with more away goals), thus securing a historic entry into the Europa League group stage.[20][15] They finished second in their group, level on points with Athletic Bilbao.[21] Despite beating Arsenal 2–1 at the Emirates Stadium, they were eliminated from the competition after losing 4–2 on aggregate.[22] Östersund finished their domestic league season in fifth place.[18]
Does no one else remember when they beat arsenal away in the Europa?
It was their first home defeat in that competition I believe in history (obviously they hadn’t played in it a lot)
I mean his record in England as a manager is he has beaten Poch and Jose when managing the mighty Brighton. He has beaten United too
He has had his side outplay every side in the league other than city
But... but they don’t have a striker of note
They battered Everton yesterday too so we will see how we compare when we play them Friday (21 shots to Everton’s 7)

From wiki:

Will hold my hand up, had no idea of any of that. Speaks volumes he had to move to Brighton and get them into PL when players like Lampard and Arteta walk into top jobs!

Anyway, point of this is nearly two years of Jose we haven't improved. Levy would have sacked anyone for far less but his boner for Jose, coupled with the anger he will face, is holding him from pulling the trigger.

Sounds strange, but the fear i now have is that winning the Carabao Cup - Levy feels Jose is proven right and keeps him on board.

Does no one else remember when they beat arsenal away in the Europa?
It was their first home defeat in that competition I believe in history (obviously they hadn’t played in it a lot)
I mean his record in England as a manager is he has beaten Poch and Jose when managing the mighty Brighton. He has beaten United too
He has had his side outplay every side in the league other than city
But... but they don’t have a striker of note
They battered Everton yesterday too so we will see how we compare when we play them Friday (21 shots to Everton’s 7)
This is a genuine question.... Do they not have a striker of note because they are unlucky to have poor strikers or does their system make their strikers look poor? Maupay looked a good striker for Brentford for example.

Let's assume we don't keep Harry Kane at Spurs. Do you think that Potter in charge here would see us do better in front of goal than Brighton with (say) Vinicius up front?

I only half watched their game against Everton yesterday. I thought that Brighton were on top in the second half but created very little of note. Are they dominating games through pointless possession and not creating chances (like us under AVB as an example)? (Though I must say that Brighton have seriously impressed me in every one of their games against us in the last few years (even those that they lost).

If Potter came in and we managed to keep the current players with additions we'd be flying.

When (if) he gets the chance to implement his ideas with a better standard of players he'll do well.

Will hold my hand up, had no idea of any of that. Speaks volumes he had to move to Brighton and get them into PL when players like Lampard and Arteta walk into top jobs!

Anyway, point of this is nearly two years of Jose we haven't improved. Levy would have sacked anyone for far less but his boner for Jose, coupled with the anger he will face, is holding him from pulling the trigger.

Sounds strange, but the fear i now have is that winning the Carabao Cup - Levy feels Jose is proven right and keeps him on board.
He moved to Brighton after Swansea
Brighton sacked Hughton as his football was negative and defensive (sound familiar)
That summer he spent his time working in tactics and fluidity of approach with the players and then the start of the new season they suddenly had Lewis Dunk passing out from the back
I know there are people like @Danishfurniturelover who aren’t sure of Potter and know Brighton fans (I only know 1)
But their style now is very fluid. They beat us with right wingers playing right back and left back... missing their flying full back and had no one in attack that would get near our side
They are so well coached there better than the sum of their parts
Doenst mean there are not other managers out there, but it does mean there are some who just aren’t sexy names, but could possibly do a brilliant job with the right club and set up

This is a genuine question.... Do they not have a striker of note because they are unlucky to have poor strikers or does their system make their strikers look poor? Maupay looked a good striker for Brentford for example.

Let's assume we don't keep Harry Kane at Spurs. Do you think that Potter in charge here would see us do better in front of goal than Brighton with (say) Vinicius up front?

I only half watched their game against Everton yesterday. I thought that Brighton were on top in the second half but created very little of note. Are they dominating games through pointless possession and not creating chances (like us under AVB as an example)? (Though I must say that Brighton have seriously impressed me in every one of their games against us in the last few years (even those that they lost).

maupay is ok, not great. It’s a step up form championship to prem
Their forward options are not good IMO
They don’t have anyone beat to double figures
They were on top yesterday and had 21 shots but didn’t convert any of them. It reminded me of us under Poch quite a bit.

you like stats, their xG stats for and against are miles better than ours. If they had one player to convert they would be top half easily IMO. Saying that, it would do disservice to the strikers they have who do play a role in their team

they set a league record when they played United this season for hitting the woodwork. Watching that game pre last lockdown I was so impressed as they dominated the whole game

Great little article below on there strikers and there lack of conversion
http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsop...-are-they-good-enough-for-the-premier-league/

bissouma has grown under Potter and looks class
Lamptey looks as good as any RB
Dunk is better than any CB we have

maupay is ok, not great. It’s a step up form championship to prem
Their forward options are not good IMO
They don’t have anyone beat to double figures
They were on top yesterday and had 21 shots but didn’t convert any of them. It reminded me of us under Poch quite a bit.

you like stats, their xG stats for and against are miles better than ours. If they had one player to convert they would be top half easily IMO. Saying that, it would do disservice to the strikers they have who do play a role in their team

bissouma has grown under Potter and looks class
Lamptey looks as good as any RB
Dunk is better than any CB we have
Yeah I picked out Bissouma as somebody I'd love us to sign much earlier this season (think he was probably already out of our league price wise back then and certainly us now). Can very quickly see his positional sense, balance and calmness on the ball which combined with his physicality make him a top bracket player.

Something to support your argument is that I think Brighton are the PL team who have most underperformed their XG. Which suggests any/all of: they are unlucky, they have a poor keeper, they have poor finishers.

I would have no issue at all if we brought Potter to Spurs. Especially if we combined him with a proper, top class DoF like Campos to identify and get the type of players that Potter can coach. In fact, if we had a proper DoF like Campos in place, I would expect him to be suggesting names like Potter to take over as manager of our club.

Yeah I picked out Bissouma as somebody I'd love us to sign much earlier this season (think he was probably already out of our league price wise back then and certainly us now). Can very quickly see his positional sense, balance and calmness on the ball which combined with his physicality make him a top bracket player.

Something to support your argument is that I think Brighton are the PL team who have most underperformed their XG. Which suggests any/all of: they are unlucky, they have a poor keeper, they have poor finishers.

I would have no issue at all if we brought Potter to Spurs. Especially if we combined him with a proper, top class DoF like Campos to identify and get the type of players that Potter can coach.
I have no idea what influence Potter has in transfers, but a DOF is just such a sensible move regardless
Bissouma is a £40m plus player now and he will go this summer. I fully expect Pool to get him to replace wilnaldum

Ole is non-figuratively proof that sacking Jose, you can stick an absolute average manager in, and it's so far removed from Jose, the whole place gets a lift.
Am I not convinced he actually doing anything there other than just turning up
I’m sure most of the work is done by Phelan

Potter is not a silver bullet and remembers he might not even want to come or even considered by Levy.
But I'd rather watch Potter giving it a go than Mourinho going through the motions

Be good for a top team in England to give an English manager a platform to succeed - he seems very much like a more experienced (and successful) version of what Poch was when we appointed him.

Back