• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

We didn't start doing that until after the West Ham debacle though, before that we were regularly setup the same as last night but didn't concede many.
I got what you said. It would be interesting to look back at those first 3 months to see if we were solid or getting away with it?

I think Hugo is still a very good goalie who makes mistakes. All goalies do. Even Allison. I would personally throw all the money into a CB, DM to replace Sissoko and a playmaker to replace Eriksen.
Agreed. I would keep Sissoko in the squad though. And would be buying 2 x CBs before we do any other business this summer.

It certainly would appear to correlate.

Bad defenders...sit back and protect = less goals conceded
Bad defenders...leave more exposed = concede more

I do agree though that many of our goals are individual errors. Certain types of those can be coached out but overall defensive awareness is hard to coach in to a player that hasn't got it (Sanchez,Dier).

I would like to think there is a system somewhere in the middle of these two approaches BUT what is slightly worrying is we have probably the best screening CM in the league and its still happening.
That screening CM was the direct reason for 2 of the 5 goals yesterday.

Agreed. I would keep Sissoko in the squad though. And would be buying 2 x CBs before we do any other business this summer.
Depends who is available and at what price. I would rather get one CB we really think will be top class rather than two not so highly rated.

Keeping players depends on incomings, again depends on players being available and the price. Sissoko is one I would very much like to see an upgrade on. But CB is a bigger issue.

I got what you said. It would be interesting to look back at those first 3 months to see if we were solid or getting away with it?

I just went through the games up to Palace, I did start writing a game by game but ultimately I come to the same conclusion, we were solid in pretty much all of them, even in the City game where we gave up a lot of chances, they were low quality and only a fraction of them were on target.

Last edited:
Maybe that 1 goal per game is the outlier
I mean people in the past have said we should take outliers out of stats!!!
And of course the reason we have that record is because we defended in the much maligned be hated low block. People wanted the shackles off and we have done that. It then exposes the incompetence of the defence
That where i do have sympathy with Jose...he lets the shackles off (as requested) and the creaky defence is exposed, so you can understand his thinking re defending in numbers.

But i don't think its that binary, there has to be other ways to set-up and thats why i prefer the system type manager. The constant changing never breeds continuity, familiarity etc.. With more structured and pattern of play coaching the understanding gets layered on week on week.

But lets face it thats not Jose

Depends who is available and at what price. I would rather get one CB we really think will be top class rather than two not so highly rated.

Keeping players depends on incomings, again depends on players being available and the price. Sissoko is one I would very much like to see an upgrade on. But CB is a bigger issue.
We need two. No matter what. If we don’t get two then either Rodon needs to step up as first choice and be very good, very quickly or we need to accept that we won’t be challenging for the big trophies.

With good scouting CBs don’t have to cost a fortune. How much did Villa pay for Konsa for instance? Or Mings before him? How much did Leicester pay for Soyuncu?

Tarkowski and the lad at Fulham.... probably £45m gets both of them.

That where i do have sympathy with Jose...he lets the shackles off (as requested) and the creaky defence is exposed, so you can understand his thinking re defending in numbers.

But i don't think its that binary, there has to be other ways to set-up and thats why i prefer the system type manager. The constant changing never breeds continuity, familiarity etc.. With more structured and pattern of play coaching the understanding gets layered on week on week.

But lets face it thats not Jose

most teams aren't going to punish you the way we were punished last night - we shouldn't let that deter us from playing on the front foot.

I don't like pundits because typically they provide nothing of value (just some stupid regurgitated point that was probably made up prior to any particular game even being played). But to me, only one in recent times has got Spurs right, it was a comment that we are a team struggling for balance.

That said, if you look at the two games

- We were flat against Chelsea, timid, gave up too much initiative and really only gave 30-40 minutes of decent performance. You could make a fair argument that that is on the manager, including initial team selection.
- Against Everton, we came out swinging and no one would have been surprised if they were dead and buried in the first 25 minutes. Two of traditionally better players in PEH & Lloris combined to put us in a huge hole, despite that, the team played on, our counter attacking game looked brilliant at times and it came down to yet another individual fudge up that cost us the game.

So in one, yes question Jose, in the second, it's really hard to try to blame Jose for that. Hate to say it, but sometimes it plays out that way, 99 times out of a 100 we win that game, we didn't best thing to do is move on.

To take things as a whole, it is worrying the sheer peaks and troughs of our form, it never looks like we are building something. People said 'good victory v Brom, something we can build confidence from' but we should have said that after beating Arsenal, Leeds...

I think because against Chelsea the overall performance was woeful. I think it’s fair to question the manager when the entire team just looks totally clueless in possession, particularly in the first half.

Whereas last night the overall performance was good, and the only issue was individual errors.
This is the weird thing, recent performances suggested we didn't have the foggiest how to go about transitioning/attacking but last night we looked world beaters at it?

This is the weird thing, recent performances suggested we didn't have the foggiest how to go about transitioning/attacking but last night we looked world beaters at it?

I totally agree - I've been pleasantly surprised, even shocked, by our attacking play the last two matches. Not just on the break, but in sustained possession too. It's given me back some confidence that Mourinho can get us playing football, if he's willing to play this style more often.

To take things as a whole, it is worrying the sheer peaks and troughs of our form, it never looks like we are building something. People said 'good victory v Brom, something we can build confidence from' but we should have said that after beating Arsenal, Leeds...

cough

lamela

cough

D'you know what, I'm loving Lamela at the moment, but you know what's coming........probably a two month mystery lay off just as he becomes a first name on the team sheet
Your right
Hernia injury from straining too much doings a brick
Or hamstring pull from doing up he Velcro on his shoes
But he has made a BUG difference in the last two games

Back