• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

We were winning in the Champions League though and lacked squad depth then, for example, Dele a crucial player was injured and Eriksen started losing form. I think part of the problem with Jose is the expectation is greater because on paper it looks like we have a better squad than Poch did in his final season when we signed no one in either the summer or January.
That miraculous run in CL papered over the cracks which a year of transfer inactivity created but is now looking as much of an aberration as our last 2 League Cup wins; so now it’s clear that Bale won’t elevate the team like van der Vaart and Klinsmann once did I’m not sure this current squad is better than 2 years ago tbh.

We’ve replaced Rose with Regulion but still got Davies as an uninspiring understudy whilst Aurier has once again become prone to the errors that ensured Pochettino kept picking Trippier ahead of him and Doherty hasn’t settled at all.

Alderweireld’s demonstrating why nobody activated his £25m release clause whilst Dier’s clearly never going to be another Vertonghen. Tanganga’s shown promise but cannot seem to go 90 minutes without picking up another injury whilst Rodon should be one for the future but might now have to be thrown in the deep end.

Hojbjerg is filling the void left by Wanyama and Ndombele is starting to show why he was one of the most sought after midfielders in Europe but Sissoko continues to frustrate.

Lo Celso started last season well but has since caught sick-note-itis from Lamela which leaves us relying on Kane as our main playmaker; hopefully Dele will prove Mourinho wrong and fulfil Eriksen's role but only time will tell.

Son has upped his scoring rate but remains streaky whilst Moura still runs around like a headless chicken most games and Bergwijn cannot buy a goal whilst Vinicius needs time to settle; Lorente might’ve been slow as a snail but at least he was proven in PL and played an important role in that CL run.

Perhaps something will finally click for Bale but sadly it’s looking like a waste of £1million a month’s in wages, which could’ve been better spent sorting out the defence plus securing an upgrade on Sissoko.

Last edited:
That miraculous run in CL papered over the cracks which a year of transfer inactivity created but is now looking as much of an aberration as our last 2 League Cup wins; so now it’s clear that Bale won’t elevate the team like van der Vaart and Klinsmann once did I’m not sure this current squad is better than 2 years ago tbh.

We’ve replaced Rose with Regulion but still got Davies as an uninspiring understudy whilst Aurier has once again become prone to the errors that ensured Pochettino kept picking Trippier ahead of him and Doherty hasn’t settled at all.

Alderweireld’s demonstrating why nobody activated his £25m release clause whilst Dier’s clearly never going to be another Vertonghen. Tanganga’s shown promise but cannot seem to go 90 minutes without picking up another injury whilst Rodon should be one for the future but might now have to be thrown in the deep end.

Hojbjerg is filling the void left by Wanyama and Ndombele is starting to show why he was one of the most sought after midfielders in Europe but Sissoko continues to frustrate.

Lo Celso started last season well but has since caught sick-note-itis from Lamela which leaves us relying on Kane as our main playmaker; hopefully Dele will prove Mourinho wrong and fulfil Eriksen's role but only time will tell.

Son has upped his scoring rate but remains streaky whilst Moura still runs around like a headless chicken most games and Bergwijn cannot buy a goal whilst Vinicius needs time to settle; Lorente might’ve been slow as a snail but at least he was proven in PL and played an important role in that CL run.

Perhaps something will finally click for Bale but sadly it’s looking like a waste of £1million a month’s in wages, which could’ve been better spent sorting out the defence plus securing an upgrade on Sissoko.

Spot on. Players just not good enough. Blame Hitchens and our shambolic recruitment policy over several years.

BTW, did anyone see the graphic BT Sport briefly put up? It seemed to show that since Mourinho's appointment , only Liverpool , United and City have got more PL points.

I know. Hard to believe. But just sayin..............

Yup, thank feck Aaron Ramsey got injured during the run-in that season and the Goons PL form faded as badly as ours; otherwise 2018/19 could’ve ended up having as painful a finale as 2011/12.

Can only imagine how bad Pochettino’s aura would’ve been if we’d ended up 5th behind Goons as well as losing CL final to Dippers :eek:

View attachment 10907 View attachment 10908
Teams tend to finish where they deserve to in the league. We were better than Arsenal that year and finished above them as a result.

Spot on. Players just not good enough. Blame Hitchens and our shambolic recruitment policy over several years.

BTW, did anyone see the graphic BT Sport briefly put up? It seemed to show that since Mourinho's appointment , only Liverpool , United and City have got more PL points.

I know. Hard to believe. But just sayin..............

Why are you no longer blaming the manager for transfers?

West Ham play the same formation as us primarily, a 4-2-3-1. The difference is vast in terms of set up and interchange, the players seem so much more sure of their positions. So much more threatening on the attack than us

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Why are you no longer blaming the manager for transfers?

They bear the ultimate responsibility. Poch was hopeless and couldn't control Hitchens. Mourinho has had in effect one transfer window ( I don't think Bergwyn was his choice as he desperately wanted a CF striker). In the summer we ( on paper ) did well. Bale and Doherty have been flops. PEH and Reggie great successes. Vinnie not worked out yet and Rodon not given much chance yeyveither.

What we have failed miserably at is moving players on. Poch was far too loyal to players who were palpably past it and had absolutely no succession policy. That was entirely down to him.

West Ham play the same formation as us primarily, a 4-2-3-1. The difference is vast in terms of set up and interchange, the players seem so much more sure of their positions. So much more threatening on the attack than us

They have that great battering ram Antonio. If we had such a beast we would be able to develop build up play as well. Sadly, withou Kanecwe have no such player. I haven't been impressed with Vinni and don't feel he is nearly aggressive enough.

Teams tend to finish where they deserve to in the league. We were better than Arsenal that year and finished above them as a result.

I dare say that when teams finish only 1 or 2 points apart over the course of a season then there’s an element of luck involved... were it not for dodgy lasagne then Jol surely would’ve secured a CL spot for Spurs in 2006 and had Capello not resigned at such an inopportune time in 2012 then Redknapp wouldn’t have got distracted and allowed Goons to pip us to 3rd.

But we were also considerably better than them in the Leicester year, but finished third in a two horse race behind them.

Kane scares defenders
Moura... nah
Lamela... nah
Bergwein ... nah
Vinny... nah

the opposition know that these guys are substandard so take more risks against us as they know we can’t punish them

Why we have bought such similar type players ( and the N' twins) for so many years is simply mystifying.

Why we have bought such similar type players ( and the N' twins) for so many years is simply mystifying.
Availability and money
At the time they were what we could afford to meet a need and it was a gamble
Doesn’t always work out of course
Thing is now we lack any real pace in the team other than son

Availability and money
At the time they were what we could afford to meet a need and it was a gamble
Doesn’t always work out of course
Thing is now we lack any real pace in the team other than son

Exactly. We went for quantity over quality. Seems like we threw lots of mud at the bargain buckets and hoped some would work out. Nobody stepping up from our youth has also been a worry.

We had ( and still have)two obvious criteria for new recruits. Blistering pace and a Drogba/Costa type beast at CF and a monster CH. These are where our shortcomings were and still are. I am still assuming Lo Celso and NDombele can eventually provide the necessary guile alongside PEH.

Exactly. We went for quantity over quality. Seems like we threw lots of mud at the bargain buckets and hoped some would work out. Nobody stepping up from our youth has also been a worry.

We had ( and still have)two obvious criteria for new recruits. Blistering pace and a Drogba/Costa type hunk of burning love at CF and a monster CH. These are where our shortcomings were and still are. I am still assuming Lo Celso and NDombele can eventually provide the necessary guile alongside PEH.
Well those kind of players would give us a genuine alternative to what we have
Seeing Lamela the other day what two men and then have to cut back because he is one footed or Moura beat a man and then run into the next guy said it all to me... stupid is as stupid does
Add in the woeful CBS and it’s not healthy

Well those kind of players would give us a genuine alternative to what we have
Seeing Lamela the other day what two men and then have to cut back because he is one footed or Moura beat a man and then run into the next guy said it all to me... stupid is as stupid does
Add in the woeful CBS and it’s not healthy

Not healthy is right. But an inherited problem in most cases.

Yes, and this is the most damning verdict on Mourinho. They have average players but have a system which gets 110% out of them.

We have better players but have no tactics or way of attacking which menas we get about 50% out of them

That lies at the door of one man only. 15 months into a reign, a manager should have installed a way of playing. We're an utter shambles at the moment

Yup he had another ankle injury but Kane being unavailable is apparently no excuse for a poor run of form (suppose Lo Celso would be current equivalent to Dele in team) as we’ve got a world class squad.

I think you make an interesting point.

Mourinho has absolutely had some horrendous injuries to deal with, no arguments. Losing Kane, Reggie and LoCelso would affect any side, no doubt whatsoever.
I think where you will find frustration is in how he has utilized the players he does have left. And in NDombele and Son, he has two potential match winners per game. In Hojberg -one of his key signings which has worked out- he has a platform.

How is he continuing to deploy what he has?

We won't even address the Dele issue here; not that anyone will have noticed, but I have repeatedly edged that Dele has a serious slice of responsibility to accept in their stand-off. That being said, well, we'll leave out for now.

I think it is also worth asking why he might be getting shorter thrift from many. Again, not all his fault I accept, indeed, if one were being charitable, they'd say he is a victim of his own past successes and thus expectations are maybe higher? Again, let's not consider what he has said along the way.

No bones about it, I think he is responsible for our malaise and I won't shy away from that, but I can certainly agree he has not had zero bad luck during his time here.

We actually set a record that season for being ahead in games in the CL the least amount of time
Don’t forget we don’t want city... it was way goals
And Ajax... last minute winner

Not sure what you mean?

My deduction is you're paying tribute to our...mentality.:D

Not sure what you mean?

My deduction is you're paying tribute to our...meteorology.:D

Ha ha, you’ve kinda gotcha’d something there.

Although, we went into both games in a reasonably good position before absolutely bricking ourselves, a clean sheet would have been enough to see off city as I recall, yet we gave them a tap in about 45 seconds in.

So yes, both games did show our mentality, totally incapable of doing the easy thing and getting a boring but successful result.

Not sure what you mean?

My deduction is you're paying tribute to our...meteorology.:D
No
It was a comment about our wins... someone said we had a great run but it’s knock out football of course
We won two big games to get to that final but was ahead in total overall about 30 minutes cs city and ajax
We won 2 groups games late too
Had the two great wins vs Dortmund
And won the home game vs city but lost the away leg... and Ajax.. well we know what happened there
And there were some great games in there too
when we talk mentality I could refer to what Chiellini said about us if that helps...

Back