• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

John White "The Ghost" 28.04.1937 - 21.07.1964

THFC6061

Paul Robinson
A4438_zpsa4cc7e8b.jpg

49 years, wow. Wish I had been old enough to see him play. Thoughts are with his son Rob and the rest of the family

I just missed-out on seeing him play, as my first game at the Lane was in 1966.

But my Dad & Grandfather both said he was a simply amazing player.

It makes you wonder what Spurs might have achieved as a club during the mid and late 1960s if he was still playing for us.

White was killed by lightning at the age of only 27 while sheltering under a tree during a thunderstorm at Crews Hill golf course, Enfield, in July 1964.

By lightning ? It seems even the nature are against Spurs !

I just missed-out on seeing him play, as my first game at the Lane was in 1966.

But my Dad & Grandfather both said he was a simply amazing player.

It makes you wonder what Spurs might have achieved as a club during the mid and late 1960s if he was still playing for us.

Same.

My old dad loved him as a player

What made him special is he was so graceful to watch. Only one player, Hoddle has emulated him since. You knew he was always looking for the intelligent pass or run; a quick one-two with Blanchflower; a deft lob over the defence; a delicate lay off into the path of Jones or an exquisitely measured cross onto the head of Bobby Smith.

Truly the Ghost of WHL.

What made him special is he was so graceful to watch. Only one player, Hoddle has emulated him since. You knew he was always looking for the intelligent pass or run; a quick one-two with Blanchflower; a deft lob over the defence; a delicate lay off into the path of Jones or an exquisitely measured cross onto the head of Bobby Smith.

Truly the Ghost of WHL.

When you think of the brick pitches he played on he was amazing, him and Cliff Jones were telepathic.

He was my father in law's favourite player, which speaks volumes considering he grew up watching Mackay, Blanchflower and Greaves

That ball looks like a fudging medicine ball. Im sure they were pretty heavy in those days too which impresses me more about these older players?

He was still in the army when he signed for Spurs

Rob White's book is a really great read. When Bill Nic called them all into the clubhouse to announce he'd died, Bill had to run to the toilet to cry as he couldn't let them see him crying

That ball looks like a fudging medicine ball. Im sure they were pretty heavy in those days too which impresses me more about these older players?

Actually, when dry they were exactly the same weight as today's modern footballs. Of course, back then on wet, muddy pitches, they would absorb moisture and become significantly heavier, which today's balls do not.

He was still in the army when he signed for Spurs

Rob White's book is a really great read. When Bill Nic called them all into the clubhouse to announce he'd died, Bill had to run to the toilet to cry as he couldn't let them see him crying

Many clubs backed away from signing White, as he was considered to slight to make it in first class football, but Bill Nicholson had contacts in the army (he was a fitness instructor during the War) and found-out that White was a cross-country champion.

This convinced Bill that White had the stamina needed for Spurs.

Many clubs backed away from signing White, as he was considered to slight to make it in first class football, but Bill Nicholson had contacts in the army (he was a fitness instructor during the War) and found-out that White was a cross-country champion.

This convinced Bill that White had the stamina needed for Spurs.

my Dad has been going to the Lane since the mid fifties and in his opinion, John White is the best player ever to wear the shirt. He must have been pretty bloody good. Just imagine if a player at the top of his game died in similar circumstances today.....

my Dad has been going to the Lane since the mid fifties and in his opinion, John White is the best player ever to wear the shirt. He must have been pretty bloody good. Just imagine if a player at the top of his game died in similar circumstances today.....

The nearest player to JW I have seen is Martin Peters, Peters used to score more goals and get into the box more though, they both had the same silky skills and effortless style, could pass the ball well with either foot and had good engines, Jones and White playing together was a joy to watch.

The nearest player to JW I have seen is Martin Peters, Peters used to score more goals and get into the box more though, they both had the same silky skills and effortless style, could pass the ball well with either foot and had good engines, Jones and White playing together was a joy to watch.

Yes, Peters was also known to "ghost" in un-seen to score a lot.

Great player, possibly not appreciated enough at times.

Yes, Peters was also known to "ghost" in un-seen to score a lot.

Great player, possibly not appreciated enough at times.

Peters was a favourite of mine he scored 22 goals from midfield one season, he left us far too early we should not have sold him to Norwich so soon, as you say a great player, he had a tough start as well being swopped for Jimmy but he quickly won us round.

Back