• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

John Bostock

milo

Jack L. Jones
An interesting article on Bostock in the Guardian today.

John Bostock happy rebuilding career in Belgium after time at Tottenham

Bostock played for Crystal Palace at 15 and moved to Tottenham but he has been in Belgium for 18 months and is happy again

Whatever happened to John Bostock? The midfielder was regarded as one of England’s best prospects when he emerged as a teenager with Crystal Palace. A little more than seven years later, he is at his ninth club and playing in the Belgian second division.

His debut for the Eagles, aged just 15 years and 287 days, in October 2007, made him the youngest-ever player for the club who had scouted him at the age of six at Pelo FC in south London. Interest swiftly followed from several top clubs and Bostock decided to move to Tottenham Hotspur. That was in the summer of 2008, for a fee of £700,000, decided by a tribunal. He only made three appearances for Spurs, all in the Uefa Cup in 2008-09, and he became their youngest-ever player on his debut in November 2008, but after loan spells at various clubs, Bostock was released in June 2013.

Then came an unexpected opportunity to go to Belgium and play for Royal Antwerp, runners-up in the Cup-Winners’ Cup, in 1993. Their manager was Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, the former Chelsea and Holland striker, and it was a chance he jumped at. “My contract with Spurs had come to an end, and I had offers to play in England and Europe but Jimmy said what I kind of needed to hear. He said to go out to Belgium with him, play football every week and I’ll be able to regain my confidence.

“My best friend, Paul-Jose M’Poku, came to Spurs at the same time under Damien Comolli, but it didn’t work out for him, and he went back to Standard Liège where Spurs found him. He blossomed on his return and found the right platform, which was also significant in my decision process.”

The transfer to the second division in Belgium helped him escape from the media glare in England and gave him a chance to get back to regular first-team football. Bostock, 23 on 15 January, reflects on his unhappy five years at Tottenham. “It was a very difficult time for me and my family,” he says. “I was a season-ticket holder for most of my life [at Palace], but I made the decision to further my career at Spurs and at the time it was about developing me as a player.

“It was a big challenge for me at a young age and, at times, you find that you’re putting yourself under a lot of pressure as you want to stand out at a club that has so much quality already, with players such as Luka Modric and Gareth Bale.”

It is easy to forget that Bostock is still young. Moving to Belgium has been key to him finding his feet once more, helping him to reconstruct his career.

“Going away from the UK has allowed me to concentrate on just solely playing football,” Bostock, a former England Under-17 captain, said. “People in Belgium had heard of me, but they didn’t really know what I was about, so it gave me a chance to be judged purely on my football abilities. My confidence has really grown, I’m enjoying the game once more and I’m playing every week, so it can only be positive.”

His various loans took him around the hustle and bustle of the lower leagues of English football – Brentford, Sheffield Wednesday, Swindon Town – as well as a stint with Toronto FC, and Bostock is now at his ninth club. He left Antwerp at the end of last season but opted to stay in Belgium and the second division, and he joined Oud-Heverlee Leuven.

“There were offers from various clubs in the UK, however I felt at the time I hadn’t finished what I went to Belgium to do,” Bostock added. “Antwerp is a great club with amazing fans, but it was time for me to move on and Leuven had just come down from the Belgium Premier League.

“Every week you are playing against young players who are all hungry to achieve just like I am, so you can see why Belgium do produce a lot of talented players. In the second division, some of the player’s technical abilities are top drawer and there then is a lot of interest in them from the first division and Europe’s top clubs.”

So what does the future hold for Bostock, and could it see him make a return to his boyhood club?

“I’m just taking every game as it comes, I’m really enjoying my time out here with Leuven. I’m adding different parts to my game, improving on a daily basis but I guess the most important thing for me is to keep pushing forward towards fulfilling my potential,” he says.

“I love Palace – I’ve got nothing but kind words to say about everyone from the youth coaches to the people that work behind the scenes. Football is an unpredictable game, but I’m just focusing on playing in Belgium and just continuing to progress.”

Despite his tender age, after all he has gone through he can certainly give young professionals advice on how to manage the early stages of their career.

“Work hard – it’s an honour to get called into any club because they see something in you that they would like to add to their team. I’m still only 22, and I used to think when you have a bad game, that’s it, but it really isn’t; just remain patient even if you aren’t playing and remember that you will get your chance.”

http://gu.com/p/44nk5

Thanks for that Milo, I saw a piece on him on the BBC some point recently(I can not remember if this season or last) I wish him all the luck in the world. He came from a religious family but then people said he was a billy big b*llocks but I never really saw that from him so I wish him well.

He failed in England and several managers at several clubs so I think he probably had the same problem Townsend has which is intelligence of play when to release the ball when to pass. I guess as much as skill having some game intelligence is just as important as skill.

I think Bostock's reputation is outrageously screwed in relation to his actual ability. Everything that happened around him was a circus thanks in no part by the actions of that egotistical pleb that was in charge at Palace at the time.

In reality we just took a punt on a young player, that's all really. He wasn't some boy wonder who burst on the scene or a player obviously destined for greatness, we haven't 'killed' or 'ruined' his potential or career, he just actually wasn't very good. The fee agreed by the tribunal was a fair reflection of Bostock, substantial but nothing special.

Spurs buy or attract 15-16 year olds all the time. Some will work out, most wont, but the notoriety around Bostock definitely skewed perception and expectations of him.

Seems like a nice lad though and would wish him luck in his future

To be fair he was being talked up even a couple of years before we were anywhere close to signing him. He was definitely talked about as being one to keep an eye on long before the court case with us.

but why highlight bostock? i'm sure a lot of academy players from bigger clubs are plying their trade in the lower leagues. even those that have represented england before.

but why highlight bostock? i'm sure a lot of academy players from bigger clubs are plying their trade in the lower leagues. even those that have represented england before.

Because Bostock was a big name in the English youth system and as Ryan says there was the high profile compensation case with Palace, so a lot of people will know the name.

I have a feeling Bostock was just a bigger/better physical specimen than his peers when he was coming thru the youth ranks which made him stand out, he could basically bully the oppo, but as time wore on that advantage disappeared. I may be completely wrong on that, just a hunch, but I think that happens to quite a few youth products.

I think he was just one of those players that had a lot of technical ability at a young age that other players just caught up to. He didn't seem to have the understanding or "footballing brain" to go along with his ability. I remember him scoring some unbelievable goals while on loan but he would soon fall out of favour because he wasn't good at the grafting part of being a CM. Also like others have mentioned, his body matured before others and once his physical edge was lost he didn't have the intelligence to keep pace.

Wish him well though credit to him for going to Belgium and trying to work his way back I am sure he could have just bounced around from club to club in the lower leagues of England for the rest of his career if he so chose.

Back