• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jimmy Greaves back at The Lane

The king is finally coming home. Welcome back Jimmy.

The way he was booted out of Spurs after everything he did for us is, frankly, shameful and was a terrible terrible decision by Bill. It shows that even all those years ago, we could still manage to fudge up a great thing when we had it. I know first hand, how much it devestated Jimmy having to leave the club he loved. Im not suprised its taken all these years to build those bridges.

He does a regular 'evening with' type event with some old Chelsea team mates and slags us off all the time apparently

I've been to two after dinner events to see him and he was nothing but complimentary about Spurs. As Galeforce says, he's probably just telling Chelsea fans what they want to hear. He's praised Thierry Henry a lot which didn't sit well with me, but then again, Henry always talks glowingly about Ledley King so swings and roundabouts really. Not sure he's ever stated that he "supports" any club.

I've been to two after dinner events to see him and he was nothing but complimentary about Spurs. As Galeforce says, he's probably just telling Chelsea fans what they want to hear. He's praised Thierry Henry a lot which didn't sit well with me, but then again, Henry always talks glowingly about Ledley King so swings and roundabouts really. Not sure he's ever stated that he "supports" any club.

He stated that he didn't support a club at the recent Spurs Show live.

RQUOTE="glorygloryeze, post: 683958, member: 224"]Why was Greaves sold?[/QUOTE]

He was on the drink. I think a couple of bottles of brandy a day. He wrote about it in his auto biography. Martin Peters was available, one of the best English mid fielders of all time in my view. A no brainer really, as Greavsie was past his best by then. Even so, past this best was still a hell of a lot better than most other players. In the cold light of day, it was a great deal for Spurs. Really don't know why the Spammers agreed to it. The end of chivalry in football, I guess.

As a six year old, Greaves was my hero. Him and Gilzean were like magic together and they formed an essential part of my earliest memories of Spurs. Toss up between Hoddle and Greaves, for my all-time favourite and best player.

Good to hear that - guess i was either misinformed or he's come around to us again more recently.

He was on the drink. I think a couple of bottles of brandy a day. He wrote about it in his auto biography. Martin Peters was available, one of the best English mid fielders of all time in my view. A no brainer really, as Greavsie was past his best by then. Even so, past this best was still a hell of a lot better than most other players. In the cold light of day, it was a great deal for Spurs. Really don't know why the Spammers agreed to it. The end of chivalry in football, I guess.

As a six year old, Greaves was my hero. Him and Gilzean were like magic together and they formed an essential part of my earliest memories of Spurs. Toss up between Hoddle and Greaves, for my all-time favourite and best player.

How come Greaves only got 57 caps for England despite his incredible scoring record?

Maybe the Spammers felt guilty about not letting Bobby Moore move to Spurs in the summer of 1966!

he fell out with Ramsey and retired from international football

also, and this might be my knowledge failing me, he didn't actually score in that many international games but when he did he got 3 or 4 quite regularly

Greaves played only three more times for England after the 1966 World Cup, scoring a single goal. His final cap came in a 1–0 win over Austria on 27 May 1967.[71] He retired from international football early the following year after telling Ramsey that he had no intention of becoming a bit-part player in the England squad.[87] In total he scored 44 goals in 57 appearances for England.[71] He is in fourth place on the all-time list of England goalscorers, behind Bobby Charlton, Gary Lineker and Wayne Rooney .[88] Greaves holds the record for most hat-tricks for England – six in all.[89]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Greaves

His England debut was in 1959 so he played for only eight years. There were a lot less internationals back then so that could partially explain the 57 caps (although Booby Moore had 108 between 1962 and 1973).

Jim was sold as part of the deal that bought Martin Peters to the club. He was never the same player after having a bout of jaundice. The game changed dramatically after England won the World Cup, teams no longer relied on winning games through attacking football and the coach/manager worked on systems and work rate, neither really interested Jim he just let his genius do it for him. We nearly all reach a point in our working life where we are no longer wanted by our employers and that does effect how you feel about them despite the good times you had.

I think the combination of missing the world cup final and the final parting from Spurs must have made him bitter. Even top players were often treated like brick back then. The world cup winning captain couldn't force a transfer and some of Busby's survivors were effectively abandoned by United (until the need for publicity for the 50th anniversary). The players didn't have the massive financial reserves to fall back on then.

Back