• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

Dont see us doing it. We already have 3 left sided dribbly players in Son, Gil and Bergiwgn.

ASM is very decent, but not sure we'd add another leftie. Signing a right sided player or CF would make more sense to me purely in terms of balance within the squad

Some of his best football is played straight down the middle. He’s so dynamic I don’t see him as being solely capable of being a left sided forward.

Some of his best football is played straight down the middle. He’s so dynamic I don’t see him as being solely capable of being a left sided forward.

Agreed about 'solely', though not sure we need another of those. I think we need another right sided player and an out and out CF, rather than another left sided player

Agreed about 'solely', though not sure we need another of those. I think we need another right sided player and an out and out CF, rather than another left sided player
He plays anywhere in attack at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and is so versatile
I’d argue he is exactly what we need

It's actually usually better to balance a goalscoring WF on one side, with a playmaker on the other. Remember Poch's best side had Son on the left and effectively Eriksen on the right (him and Alli interchanging between right and #10).

Two direct wide players only really works for long ball teams. If you are more of a possession side, you probably want a more creative player on one wing. Using Lo Celso there sometimes at the moment is for a reason.

Depends on the buildup of the rest of the team, but I agree with "usually better". Disagree with only really works for long ball teams, but you need more creativity in the rest of the team.

Given our shortcomings in creativity elsewhere I think a consequence of having two very direct wide attackers would be that we would become a bit more long ball, or rely very heavily on counter attacking.

In Bergwijn, Gil and Lo Celso we have options for a less direct wide player, but will we get enough goals from them? Particularly if we can't rely on a #10 for many goals.

Depends on the buildup of the rest of the team, but I agree with "usually better". Disagree with only really works for long ball teams, but you need more creativity in the rest of the team.

Given our shortcomings in creativity elsewhere I think a consequence of having two very direct wide attackers would be that we would become a bit more long ball, or rely very heavily on counter attacking.

In Bergwijn, Gil and Lo Celso we have options for a less direct wide player, but will we get enough goals from them? Particularly if we can't rely on a #10 for many goals.
It's similar to the Liverpool approach...a large part of the reason it works so well for them is two stellar FBs.

And thinking about goalscorers....I can honestly only think of Mane and Salah being solid consistent scorers. Firminio has some real blank periods (Jota has improved this). Their midfield contribute nothing of note in goals. But their goals must come from somewhere?.

Just comparing it to your point about who will score for us, it's similar?

I would be happy with just Cole Palmer. Outstanding again for England under 21's
Thanks for the warning this game is on

J Bursik
M Aarons
M Guehi (c)
T Harwood-Bellis
L Thomas
  • 14'14th minute
C Gallagher
  • 5'5th minute
O Skipp
J Ramsey
C Palmer
  • 14'14th minute
R Brewster
  • 5'5th minute
E Smith-Rowe
Substitutes
A Gomes
E Green
C Cresswell
T Doyle
T John-Jules
V Livramento
J Garner
F Balogun
J Gelhardt

It's similar to the Liverpool approach...a large part of the reason it works so well for them is two stellar FBs.

And thinking about goalscorers....I can honestly only think of Mane and Salah being solid consistent scorers. Firminio has some real blank periods (Jota has improved this). Their midfield contribute nothing of note in goals. But their goals must come from somewhere?.

Just comparing it to your point about who will score for us, it's similar?

Yeah, wash more talking about two direct wide players than three goalscoring forwards, but I think we agree. Two out and out goalscorers is fine as long as they score enough and the team plays well. Though with Jota they do have a different option and he seems like he will score fairly regularly. Of course more goalscorers is better as long as overall play doesn't suffer too much.

Full backs, and really GK and centre backs too. And while Liverpool have a somewhat workmanlike central midfield all of their midfielders play a good tempo accurate passing game. Not a "passenger" to be found when they heve the ball.

He’s at Emirates Marketing Project isn’t he? We have zero chance of signing him. Even if City wanted to sell him we wouldn’t pay the money.

In the summer with kane going there and us getting money. Young players want a path to the first team and we should position ourselves for that rather then the current muddled approach.

In the summer with kane going there and us getting money. Young players want a path to the first team and we should position ourselves for that rather then the current muddled approach.
We sold them Walker, wanted Sancho and couldn't get that done either.... Maybe Emirates Marketing Project would've loaned him to us like Man Utd did Frazier Campbell when we sold them Berbatov.

I think Paratici did a great job in the summer in difficult circumstances. If he can have another 2 transfer windows like that one then we can probably get ourselves back into the Europa League via league position again.

We sold them Walker, wanted Sancho and couldn't get that done either.... Maybe Emirates Marketing Project would've loaned him to us like Man Utd did Frazier Campbell when we sold them Berbatov.

I think Paratici did a great job in the summer in difficult circumstances. If he can have another 2 transfer windows like that one then we can probably get ourselves back into the Europa League via league position again.

Well in 2 seasons time the champions league is expanded to 6 teams so I hope we are in it.

The loaning out of Parrott was a good step as was buying Sarr so we are headed in the direction I want. Feel our best way of breaking through is with a combination of promoting youth players and clever transfers.

It is why and I got mocked for this when I suggested we look at Canadian players after their results in youth competitions but we really should be looking to China, with all the investment they have made in coaching, the lack of time limits on coaching youth players as happens I'm Europe and the increased sponsorship from successful Chinese footballers. It is the market I would most be looking at.

I see that our Director of football did a lot of free transfers at Juve so my chain of thought is that he might do that here at Spurs, particularly as we are short on cash.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/endendevertraege

This is a fairly reliable list of players who are meant to be on a free. I thought I would suggest the ones i think we should go for. We really should be sorting out the foreign signings now as they can sign contracts in January.

If Kane does go we will have to sign a striker surely, I imagine a few clubs will be after him but Belotti from Torino would be a good signing.

Ginter and Zakaria from Gladbach would be good for defence and midfield.

Brooks from Bournemouth would help with our homegrown issues.

Grillitsch is a tough tackling midfielder who has a great reputation for a great attitude, something we lack a lot of the time.

Back