• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Watching the likes of Smalling and Jones at ManYoo really helps me appreciate the big Dutchman even more...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jan-vertonghen-believes-north-london-12000031.amp

“I am very, very confident we will win a trophy very soon. You want to win trophies. I want to play in a cup final. That’s what happened at Ajax to be fair. We were a team with a lot of quality that was waiting for a few years for a trophy.

“Sometimes you need that trophy or a big win against at Real Madrid or top six side to realise how good you are. I am convinced that if you win one trophy, then the rest will follow.

“We are going to challenge for both (the FA Cup and Champions League) and then we are trying to finish in the top four, so we have three targets. This is what we are playing for and very confident we can keep it going.”

Let me preface this by saying Vertonghen is one of the best centre backs in the PL, if not THE best. But yesterday he was running back towards his goal and tried to flick the ball back away from goal. It went straight to Wheelchair, who had the only Goon shot on target, and it was a good save from Lloris.

Vertonghen is fantastic, but sometimes, when out of position and reaching, he should play the percentages and just kick it off the pitch, rather than flicking it straight to an opponent. If he did that against Dybala or Aguero or whomever, it could well be a goal.

Let me preface this by saying Vertonghen is one of the best centre backs in the PL, if not THE best. But yesterday he was running back towards his goal and tried to flick the ball back away from goal. It went straight to Wheelchair, who had the only Goon shot on target, and it was a good save from Lloris.

Vertonghen is fantastic, but sometimes, when out of position and reaching, he should play the percentages and just kick it off the pitch, rather than flicking it straight to an opponent. If he did that against Dybala or Aguero or whomever, it could well be a goal.
There hasn't ever been a player that didn't make a single mistake. Jan makes far less than his peers in the PL. He has been the best central defender in the whole league for at least 2 years IMO.

Poch on Jan:

"He deserves to be praised. In nearly four seasons a lot of things have happened in between. I am so proud that he has achieved this level today. Not only on the pitch but off the pitch. In my opinion he’s one of the best centre backs in the Premier League and in Europe. He has unbelievably quality, physical condition, technique. He has improved in an aspect that was so important for him, the mental aspect. Now I think he is a complete centre back. He deserves to be praised. We have worked a lot together to reach the level that he is at today.
Now he realises he is so strong, he looks like a 20-year-old because when he runs he is faster, he is like my new dog [a Rhodesian ridgeback]. It is easy for him to run. Physicality is his talent. It is genetic. He runs easily, he is fast – it is his natural condition. He is an athlete. It is up to him, but he could play until he is 40 because his physical condition comes very naturally to him."

"I remember his body language before we came when I watched the game against Liverpool when Suarez scored, the season before we came.[Jan] was slouched in the tunnel. I told him when I came, ‘Why are you like that? You are here for a battle! You cannot show this body language – you are a warrior! It is difficult after showing this energy to go out and take part in a battle and fight. We worked a lot on this aspect and yes, it is true that we clash a lot in training because he is clever and always has an argument and a reason why, but in the end I appreciate a lot his efforts in trying to give to the team what we expect from him. But it is good to praise him because he is a very good player who sometimes does not get valued enough."

Last edited:
Poch on Jan:

"He deserves to be praised. In nearly four seasons a lot of things have happened in between. I am so proud that he has achieved this level today. Not only on the pitch but off the pitch. In my opinion he’s one of the best centre backs in the Premier League and in Europe. He has unbelievably quality, physical condition, technique. He has improved in an aspect that was so important for him, the mental aspect. Now I think he is a complete centre back. He deserves to be praised. We have worked a lot together to reach the level that he is at today.
Now he realises he is so strong, he looks like a 20-year-old because when he runs he is faster, he is like my new dog [a Rhodesian ridgeback]. It is easy for him to run. Physicality is his talent. It is genetic. He runs easily, he is fast – it is his natural condition. He is an athlete. It is up to him, but he could play until he is 40 because his physical condition comes very naturally to him."

"I remember his body language before we came when I watched the game against Liverpool when Suarez scored, the season before we came.[Jan] was slouched in the tunnel. I told him when I came, ‘Why are you like that? You are here for a battle! You cannot show this body language – you are a warrior! It is difficult after showing this energy to go out and take part in a battle and fight. We worked a lot on this aspect and yes, it is true that we clash a lot in training because he is clever and always has an argument and a reason why, but in the end I appreciate a lot his efforts in trying to give to the team what we expect from him. But it is good to praise him because he is a very good player who sometimes does not get valued enough."

Body Language for the win!!! Poch reads GG!!!!

Poch on Jan:

"He has improved in an aspect that was so important for him, the mental aspect.

I remember his body language before we came when I watched the game against Liverpool when Suarez scored, the season before we came.[Jan] was slouched in the tunnel. I told him when I came, ‘Why are you like that? You are here for a battle! You cannot show this body language – you are a warrior! It is difficult after showing this energy to go out and take part in a battle and fight. We worked a lot on this aspect

YES!! Ha ha :D

@Parklane, you've been banging on about body language experts for years... how is that humble pie tasting?

That is too funny.

What next, Poch praising 'abacus games?

“... and yes, it is true that we clash a lot in training because he is clever and always has an argument and a reason why, but in the end I appreciate his efforts.”

Mr Vertonghen is one :cool: customer...

Big praise from Poch. With only 1 year left on Vertonghen's contract it looks like Poch is sending the message to board that he is desperate to keep Jan

YES!! Ha ha :D

@Parklane, you've been banging on about body language experts for years... how is that humble pie tasting?

That is too funny.

What next, Poch praising 'abacus games?

Lol. Good that Pochettino noticed it. Looked like he didn't want to stay.

What was up with Jan yesterday? Was it me buying him for my fantasy team that jinxed him?

Took a heavy knock to his ankle in training on Saturday apparently. Needs to be assessed but - as per Poch - "We hope it's not a big deal."
So do we, Poch. So do we.

What was up with Jan yesterday? Was it me buying him for my fantasy team that jinxed him?
I think Poch (and we) jinxed him by saying he was superb, ever present, natural athlete, always fit, it all comes so easy to him, never lets you down...

Back