• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

I don't think it's season ending. Rest is probably the only treatment as opposed to surgery. With modern medical techniques he could be a quick healer and therefore back in two months.

I'd take him as out until the City game, that i could live with!

Considering Kompany is out until the end of Feb we could do with a full strength side for then.

It's also worth remembering that so far this season we've been pretty fortunate with injuries, especially in key areas (up front, central midfield and in defence). They're always going to happen and if we can cope with Wimmer for five or six games then I'd still count us as having an alright bit of luck this season.

Unless we are going to use Fazio as back up to Wimmer i think we may go in for the DM we wanted in the summer and move Dier back if needed at any point.

Depends how much faith Poch has in Wimmer and how much faith he has in 1 of our current midfielders filling in for Dier.

We've not been that lucky with injuries! Although our stats are screwed a bit with Pritchard being injured all season, but I think it's an interesting table all the same.

image.jpeg

6 week job according to the type of injury. No pressure on it for 3 weeks and then 3 week physio. R

Let's hope that's the case then. Six weeks is not bad. Will likely miss at least 8 games then. Could be back for Villa away on 12th March, or Borurnemouth at home a week later. I'm confident Wimmer will do a good job in the meantime, although it leaves us vulnerable for more injuries of course. I don't want us to have to move Dier back.

Once he has the MRI scan (Tuesday or Wednesday) they'll know what grade out of 1, 2 or 3 the sprain/tear is. Hopefully it's a 1 or 2 which means with swelling reduction, likely happening now, use of crutches and physio after a couple of weeks rest, he'll be back up and training. Fingers crossed.

Unless we are going to use Fazio as back up to Wimmer i think we may go in for the DM we wanted in the summer and move Dier back if needed at any point.

Depends how much faith Poch has in Wimmer and how much faith he has in 1 of our current midfielders filling in for Dier.

Bentaleb played that role well all last season, and is now starting to look sharp again. Remember we are only 2 points better off than at this point last season when he and Mason were the heartbeat of the team, so it's hardly a big drop in quality

Mason and Dembele both tend to favour the more advanced one of the pivot, but would still be a strong pairing if Dier was needed at CB.

I don't think we were looking at a CM in the summer at all. I think Poch's plan for Dier predates at least the signing of Alder.

6 week job according to the type of injury. No pressure on it for 3 weeks and then 3 week physio. R

3 or 6 weeks, depending on if it's a grade 1 or grade 2. And that's for an average Joe.

With oxygen tanks and 8 hours a day of physio, it might even be 2-4 weeks.

I'm with parklane1 on this. Wimmer looks solid and I think he'll do a fine job filling in for Vertonghen. But our centre-backs have arguably been the most solid pairing in the league this season (and the most solid pairing we've had at Spurs for a long long time). In that context Vertonghen's injury could be a big blow. Let's just hope Wimmer is as good as his cameos suggest.

I don't think its that much of a blow to be honest, not saying its ideal but I have faith in Wimmer. If it was Toby out for a period of time I would be far less relaxed....
It's a huge blow, Vertonghen has played an equal part in our defence being so good this season.

It's a huge blow, Vertonghen has played an equal part in our defence being so good this season.
I wasn't being dismissive of Vertonghen's part this season. It would be a huge blow if the backup was incapable or very much inferior. I don't think this is the case and Wimmer will slot in seamlessly. We shall see.....

I wasn't being dismissive of Vertonghen's part this season. It would be a huge blow if the backup was incapable or very much inferior. I don't think this is the case and Wimmer will slot in seamlessly. We shall see.....
I think Wimmer could slot in to replace either Toby or Jan. It is still a blow having our first choice central defensive partnership broken up.

I think Wimmer could slot in to replace either Toby or Jan. It is still a blow having our first choice central defensive partnership broken up.
It is a blow of course, but not a huge blow. I think Toby is the more important defender and has the ability to make others perform/look better (in the same way Ledley did).

I don't think our defence will be much more shaky/leaky having a Wimmer/Toby partnership, but until we see it in action its a pretty pointless debate I guess....

Jan is a loss as he is a quality player. Wimmers looked good so far and we are about to find out for sure:)

I suppose some of Jans best qualities, his carrying the ball out of defence and longish on the floor forward passes haven't been evident (needed) this season. So no loss there.

And on the flipside, perhaps Wimmer may lift our ability to defend set pieces. (not saying that has been jans fault exclusively)

Wimmer is not starting every week for a reason! Centreback partnership are the most important part of the team and our two are the best in the league.

From the little we've seen, Toby and Wimmer look a pretty good pairing. I think this would be more of a problem if we had to pair Vert and Wimmer -- perhaps why, when resting Toby recently, Poch paired Dier and Wimmer together.

IMO, we should buy a centre-half who could be Toby's understudy as Wimmer is to Vert. I don't really want us to have to move Dier back from midfield in the event Toby gets injured.

Back