• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

isn't it time to stop the Y word...?

To be fair to Baddiel, he’s simply attempting to find a way to stay in the public eye after everyone worked out around 20 years ago that he’d never said or written a funny thing in his entire professional life.

Great deflection from the blackfacing too.

I always felt that although he has a point it was always a deflection from the Chelsea thing, at least appeared that. Abit like Samuels piece it feels about football rivalry and sticking it to Spurs rather than caring about the subject at hand

The times have contacted the Bedford Spurs fan club asking if any of us fans want to have a say in an article they are writing
They want opinions on how the atmosphere will be on Monday
I mean at least they have asked… but none of our fan club are Jewish so it would be one sided at best

The times have contacted the Bedford Spurs fan club asking if any of us fans want to have a say in an article they are writing
I mean at least they have asked… but none of our fan club are Jewish so it would be one sided at best

I just don't understand what they are angling for. It seems like they are trying to inflate more tension and issues.

I do feel a bit worried about Monday. Not in terms of trouble or anything like that, but I think there may well be some bad media fallout for the club and fans to have to deal with. As per above, it feels like there's almost a desire in some quarters to make this into an issue which is appalling really.
I mean why should the expected atmosphere at a game against Fulham (London derby yes, but hardly one of the spikier ones) be worthy of an article? Of course we do have two of the spikiest coming up, so the scene may well be set by then. It's irresponsible.
Personally I think I'd prefer we didn't sing the Yid songs/chants right now - not from any 'political' position on what is happening, rather just to avoid the negative press - but any attempt by the club to advise against it, and of course the inevitable commentary from the likes of Baddiel, will just lead to entrenchment- "they tried to stop us....". Fans can talk about 'context' till the cows come home, but no one is listening. It's a tricky one for the club to navigate.

I do feel a bit worried about Monday. Not in terms of trouble or anything like that, but I think there may well be some bad media fallout for the club and fans to have to deal with. As per above, it feels like there's almost a desire in some quarters to make this into an issue which is appalling really.
I mean why should the expected atmosphere at a game against Fulham (London derby yes, but hardly one of the spikier ones) be worthy of an article? Of course we do have two of the spikiest coming up, so the scene may well be set by then. It's irresponsible.
Personally I think I'd prefer we didn't sing the Yid songs/chants right now - not from any 'political' position on what is happening, rather just to avoid the negative press - but any attempt by the club to advise against it, and of course the inevitable commentary from the likes of Baddiel, will just lead to entrenchment- "they tried to stop us....". Fans can talk about 'context' till the cows come home, but no one is listening. It's a tricky one for the club to navigate.

Absolutely this, the press are now using the situation as a vehicle to push an agenda on Spurs and whatever happens now will be used against us. I'm with you on the Yid army or Yids chant Monday but I think It will be as if not more ferocious than ever. I

I've never bought into the Y thing. I'm not Jewish but my maternal grandfather was and I was bought up to respect Jewish people and that the Y word was an insult. The modern world likes to redefine everything and expect the words racist and fascist will be softened to appease some in the future.

You surprise me like The Times I always thought Bedford as a hotbed of Zionist zealots. Typical "get some quotes" piece.

What will be the response if there is a large vocal support for Isreal on Monday night, will we be criticised for being a bunch of hairy arsed idiots taking sides in a complex political issues we have no understanding of or people supporting victims of terrorism? What if at our next home game a massive pro Palestinian demonstration turns up at the stadium and riots breakout, will we be blamed for causing this?

One thing for sure we will be in the criticised whatever happens.

I don't see why there would be any support for Israel at the match - this comes across as though outsiders are, typically, conflating Israel with Judaism. Spurs fans have adopted the Y word in support of the latter not the former.

I guess Israeli nationals attending the game may use it as an opportunity to do so, but from the wider Spurs fan base? Don't see it

I don't see why there would be any support for Israel at the match - this comes across as though outsiders are, typically, conflating Israel with Judaism. Spurs fans have adopted the Y word in support of the latter not the former.

I guess Israeli nationals attending the game may use it as an opportunity to do so, but from the wider Spurs fan base? Don't see it
Indeed, the minute’s silence immediately before the game was impeccably observed by all other than a couple of idiots in the South Stand shouting ‘free Palestine’

Indeed, the minute’s silence immediately before the game was impeccably observed by all other than a couple of idiots in the South Stand shouting ‘free Palestine’

That was in response to a very loud 'Long Live Israel' as the whistle went but agreed other than that, it was very well observed.

That was in response to a very loud 'Long Live Israel' as the whistle went but agreed other than that, it was very well observed.
Must confess that I didn’t hear that… just two separate people shouting out ‘free Palestine’ both a good few seconds into the minutes’s silence.

Must confess that I didn’t hear that… just two separate people shouting out ‘free Palestine’ both a good few seconds into the minutes’s silence.

Yeah that’s what I heard as well after the initial shout. And then a few ‘shut the fudge ups’ which did the trick!

Spotted a couple of Israeli flags go up during it and then again a few more came out after the final whistle. I’m glad the stewards/security let that go as it would’ve caused a story where there didn’t need to be one.

Yeah that’s what I heard as well after the initial shout. And then a few ‘shut the fudge ups’ which did the trick!

Spotted a couple of Israeli flags go up during it and then again a few more came out after the final whistle. I’m glad the stewards/security let that go as it would’ve caused a story where there didn’t need to be one.
Yeah, there’s always a few of those in the stadium anyway so nothing out of the normal. I was pleased that last night it just seemed like a normal game.

Back