• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Is this the end of big spending in european football?

Lilbaz

Tom Huddlestone
With everton being deducted points. Also the changes of the rules in August, to be more in line with uefas. Amortisation + wages + agents fees = a percentage of turnover (70% for uefa as of next year, the prem are yet to announce but the efl will follow). Does that mean clubs will need to sell to buy as most are near the limit already?

We've seen it in europe already. Real madrid had to have a couple of windows with zero net spend and unload some big earners. In order to bring in the likes of bellingham. Barca had to sell their media rights and pull various levers. Even byern one of the best run clubs in the world had to sell, to buy kane.

As the rules are based on wages and amortisation. They are not one off. They run for years. You can't just hold off spending for a season or 2. Either you sell the player or their contract runs out. Or you sell academy players. In order to give you wiggle room. Or you increase turnover (promoted clubs will be able to spend due to increased tv revenue).

I know it's sort of been covered in other threads. But it just dawned on me. How much of a monumental shift this will be. We will probably never see £1bn transfer windows again. Unless the saudis or someone else buy prem players allowing them to spend and starting a domino effect.

Clubs will have to be really careful on what they spend their money on. Think transfer fees and wages will at least be curtailed if not reduced overall.

Anyway thoughts?

With everton being deducted points. Also the changes of the rules in August, to be more in line with uefas. Amortisation + wages + agents fees = a percentage of turnover (70% for uefa as of next year, the prem are yet to announce but the efl will follow). Does that mean clubs will need to sell to buy as most are near the limit already?

We've seen it in europe already. Real madrid had to have a couple of windows with zero net spend and unload some big earners. In order to bring in the likes of bellingham. Barca had to sell their media rights and pull various levers. Even byern one of the best run clubs in the world had to sell, to buy kane.

As the rules are based on wages and amortisation. They are not one off. They run for years. You can't just hold off spending for a season or 2. Either you sell the player or their contract runs out. Or you sell academy players. In order to give you wiggle room. Or you increase turnover (promoted clubs will be able to spend due to increased tv revenue).

I know it's sort of been covered in other threads. But it just dawned on me. How much of a monumental shift this will be. We will probably never see £1bn transfer windows again. Unless the saudis or someone else buy prem players allowing them to spend and starting a domino effect.

Clubs will have to be really careful on what they spend their money on. Think transfer fees and wages will at least be curtailed if not reduced overall.

Anyway thoughts?
Honestly…
I think the influx of new money and American owners wanting to invest will change thing negatively for a few more years still
Chelsea will have pseudo investment from Saudi though it’s multiple layers of ownership
Others will copy

Honestly…
I think the influx of new money and American owners wanting to invest will change thing negatively for a few more years still
Chelsea will have pseudo investment from Saudi though it’s multiple layers of ownership
Others will copy

New owners won't be able to spend if the club is at it's limit. Yes the saudis may cause a domino effect. But even they need to offload players as they were at the max allowed foreign players. Henderson leaving creates one space, benzema another. But players might think twice, seeing everyone else wanting to do a runner.

Cheats will always find a way, we might be spared the bi-annual roundabout of players, but if these changes have a major effect on the "elite" clubs to dominate the game they will breakaway and form their own league.

Cheats will always find a way, we might be spared the bi-annual roundabout of players, but if these changes have a major effect on the "elite" clubs to dominate the game they will breakaway and form their own league.

They'd have to play abroad. The government changed the rules. Clubs will need permission from the fa and premier league to take part in other competitions. Otherwise the clubs will not be granted a licence to hold events.

This is what the bigger clubs want. It stops another city or chelsea coming through. The clubs will also be able to make profits.

People, organisations, groups all want things they think will benefit them, doesn't always work out they way they think it will.

I have no faith in the wrong doers getting appropriate punishment or the system levelling things up, clubs will find ways of getting round rules, if any club ends up relegated it will not be a "big" club.

Chelsea will be that is for certain. They've admitted it. They'll be charged soon enough. What isn't certain is their punishment.

City is a whole other thing. It's going to be very difficult to prove. If they can then they'll be relegated at the least. Not my words, that is from their ex lawyer who was on talksport this morning.

But that isn't what this thread is about. It's meant to be how the whole spending pattern for european clubs has now been changed. We've seen it this window. We are the only club to have spent money on players. The summer will be similar apart from promoted teams spending money.

Chelsea will be that is for certain. They've admitted it. They'll be charged soon enough. What isn't certain is their punishment.

City is a whole other thing. It's going to be very difficult to prove. If they can then they'll be relegated at the least. Not my words, that is from their ex lawyer who was on talksport this morning.

But that isn't what this thread is about. It's meant to be how the whole spending pattern for european clubs has now been changed. We've seen it this window. We are the only club to have spent money on players. The summer will be similar apart from promoted teams spending money.

Ok yes it will br the end of big money spending in European football until they find away round the rules.

Ok yes it will br the end of big money spending in European football until they find away round the rules.

The way to spend more is to increase turnover. Yes you can fiddle it like city allegedly did. Or you could do it through legitimate ways. Bigger stadium. Improve the academy. Expand revenue streams (f1 track in the carpark)... The second choice improves the clubs.

My expectation is that clubs who the authorities don't think are able to afford to challenge it in the courts will continue to see the full weight of sanctions applied, and those that can afford it won't. We shall see.

My expectation is that clubs who the authorities don't think are able to afford to challenge it in the courts will continue to see the full weight of sanctions applied, and those that can afford it won't. We shall see.

Clubs can't challenge it in the courts. They agreed to the rules. One of which says they can't challenge it in the courts.

Clubs can't challenge it in the courts. They agreed to the rules. One of which says they can't challenge it in the courts.
Should be pretty straightforward then. I'm looking forward to City and Chelsea getting relegated to the 4th Division now :)

Back