• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Is this the dullest season on record?

Superted

Jonathan Woodgate
I don't think historians are going to look back fondly on PL v2014/2015.

Chelsea are the most boring champions and have just about admitted as much. Hazard is a fine player but his season doesn't compare to Suarez, Bale of recent years - nor the years when CRonaldo, Henry etc were tearing it up.

Every challenger to Chelsea have shot themselves repeatedly in the foot. No CL team past the last 16. Arsenal look like finishing 2nd through being slightly less brick than everyone else except Chelsea.

Apart from our Harry, I can't think of one positive thing that you would look back on this season with fond memories in the future - although if Villa win the cup, that would be half interesting. If they lose though ... Yawn ...

Honestly, let's just put a line through this one and pretend it never happened.

I've seen a lot worse, Liverpool back in the day were supreme grinders more often than not, likewise arsenal and Leeds

Chelsea were good for large parts of the season

the other end is going to the wire as well

Just look at the goals scored tally compared to previous seasons. There aren't that many particularly memorable games. It's just all been a bit brick.

A lack of end of season drama at least. 3 games to go, Champions are crowned, two of the teams going down look almost sorted out, no top 4 battle going on.

Only real drama is the third team to go down, or if somehow QPR or Burnley can perform a miracle...

Not a big fan of Chelsea, but I think it's harsh to blame them for not being better Champions. Should rather blame City and Arsenal for not mounting more of a challenge.

Just look at the goals scored tally compared to previous seasons. There aren't that many particularly memorable games. It's just all been a bit crud.

goals are not an accurate measure of entertaining football, I'm sure we've all seen 0-0's better than 4-4's, I know I certainly have

Last season we had two teams score over 100 goals. So far City is the only one to even breach 70 and I don't think that's due to improved defenses.

To me, the type of football in the EPL this year has been poor

Cheat$ki started playing the season fairly decent, we handed them their ass, and they reverted to classic Mourinho for rest of season.
Manure, Pool, Southampton play a ton of dinosaur English football, long ball, pacey runners. Add in how poor both Manure/Pool have been at stretches and lucked out through games.
QPR, Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine have been awful for long stretches this season as well.

They are probably only 3-4 teams that still want to "play" football this year ...

it's subjective, you can have crap 2-2's and incredible 0-0's, goals are incredibly deceiving, and as the saying goes, overrated
Never heard that saying before. Yes there have been a few interesting 0-0's but they are the exception really. Give me a goal fest any day.

On the general point of this season being a bit poo poo I think I'd have to agree. As much as I like Poch, we really haven't been great ourselves and I actually feel we have missed another opportunity to creep back into the CL spots. With just a few more performances against some of the lesser lights of the PL I think we would have. Some days the stars will align for us I'm sure but not this season.

Chelsea? Who gives a fudge what they do. Another trophy won on cheat mode doesn't excite me in the slightest.

Goals can disguise a boring game, but a 0-0 has nowhere to hide. A good game has to be competitive and involve attackers trying to beat a defence and the defence trying to thwart them. A nil-nil draw can have this so it is certainly possible to have a incredible 0-0 game. However, goals add an extra element by forcing teams to adjust, become more offensive or defensive depending on the score. And if the game is about glory, then you need a winner. Even the best 0-0 game falls a bit short here.

On the other hand one-sided games or high scoring draws (e.g. 4-4) lack the essential struggle between defence and offence. The goals provide a distraction, but the game loses something as a competition. So I think I'm in the Goldilocks camp with respect to goals.

Getting increasingly more boring and predictable year by year. At least that's how I see it. Same clubs battling for the same spots in the league table, same clubs winning the cups/reaching the cup finals, same media hype about the same games between the same clubs.

Will be the same next season. Chelski, City and United will compete to spend the most money in the summer, Arse will sign a Real select and a couple of lightweight midfielders, while us and Pool will be linked to every available player.

Liverpool will start reasonably brightly, and there will be media hype about the new Sky five, while PL clubs struggle in Europe and Arse look like champions in mid November. Then Pool start failing, Arse stagnate, while Chelski start grinding out 1-0 wins and the Manchesters quietly but unimpressively stay top four.

Come end of next season the top four will be the same as this year,while us, Pool and a random mid table overachiever will be 5, 6 and 7, and noone really cares much about the rest.

All the time while Sky keeps overhyping "the best league in the world", fans are more vocal in their complaints about rising ticket prices than in the stands, and a bunch of German/Spanish/Italian clubs dominate Europe.

Getting increasingly more boring and predictable year by year. At least that's how I see it. Same clubs battling for the same spots in the league table, same clubs winning the cups/reaching the cup finals, same media hype about the same games between the same clubs.

Will be the same next season. Chelski, City and United will compete to spend the most money in the summer, Arse will sign a Real select and a couple of lightweight midfielders, while us and Pool will be linked to every available player.

Liverpool will start reasonably brightly, and there will be media hype about the new Sky five, while PL clubs struggle in Europe and Arse look like champions in mid November. Then Pool start failing, Arse stagnate, while Chelski start grinding out 1-0 wins and the Manchesters quietly but unimpressively stay top four.

Come end of next season the top four will be the same as this year,while us, Pool and a random mid table overachiever will be 5, 6 and 7, and noone really cares much about the rest.

All the time while Sky keeps overhyping "the best league in the world", fans are more vocal in their complaints about rising ticket prices than in the stands, and a bunch of German/Spanish/Italian clubs dominate Europe.

the only difference is instead of a 2 horse race, the PL has a 3 horse race (all three that spend over 1B+ to get titles)
and instead of 1 dark horse, you have 3 ... but realistically it ends the same.

The problem is teams setup for PL winning are ones that need to beat the bottom 14 teams, which isn't quite the same setup to win CL

Amen brother.

This is the second time Mourinho has won the league with Chelsea without picking up a single MotM award.

The year of the Bs.

Conference South - Bromley
Conference North - Barrow
Conference - Barnet
League Two - Burton
League One - Bristol City
Championship - Bournemouth
Premier League - Boring Chelsea.

Goals can disguise a boring game, but a 0-0 has nowhere to hide. A good game has to be competitive and involve attackers trying to beat a defence and the defence trying to thwart them. A nil-nil draw can have this so it is certainly possible to have a incredible 0-0 game. However, goals add an extra element by forcing teams to adjust, become more offensive or defensive depending on the score. And if the game is about glory, then you need a winner. Even the best 0-0 game falls a bit short here.

On the other hand one-sided games or high scoring draws (e.g. 4-4) lack the essential struggle between defence and offence. The goals provide a distraction, but the game loses something as a competition. So I think I'm in the Goldilocks camp with respect to goals.
I thought our 0-0 at home to Man Utd was in the top 5 most enjoyable Spurs games this year (perhaps that says something about our season?)

Back