• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Is it more difficult for us to win the league than any other team?

As a general point not aimed at you, I don’t know why anyone worries about what the media says regarding us. If they don’t talk about us then great, no added pressure. And when they do hype us up they are only doing so to knock us down when we fail. Either way I couldn’t give a monkeys what is printed, I use my own eyes to see the value of our coaching,players etc Results do the talking, from what I’ve seen the media’s praise has little benefits....
I don't really give a brick. Just think it's kind of funny and ridiculous. If it was any other club in our position now, their GK would be on that list. 100%!

This is how media goes about it....
The GK who's conceded the fewest goals, by far, has the most clean sheets, and is captaining the team who is top of the league.
Not on the list....
One wonders if those people have actually watched football at all!
Ederson and Patrcio have been poor
Hugo has played very league game behind the team with the best record in the division and IMO has comfortably been the best keeper in the league

Was with you up until the last part, West Ham players most definitely raise their game against us - it'll be the same attitude there as is at Spurs when we play Arsenal.

Spurs are unique in that we are 3 teams main rival (Ars Che WH) I'm not sure any others can say that. As for the other teams that Pirate mentions i think the Saints thing has well and truly passed and i don't think there's ever been a thing with Palace, at least not on the pitch. Probably fair to say Leicester would count us as a rival above most others in the league but games v United/Liverpool/City are just big games v league rivals that all top teams have to contend with.

United? Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project consider them their main rival. I would say Leeds consider United their biggest rival too as they don’t have a direct rival in their city, although everyone in Yorkshire hates Leeds. Tbh I don’t know anyone who likes Leeds other than Sky who can’t stop fawning over them and Bielsa.

I don’t understand the negativity to United, their period of dominance saw them being a bulwark against Liverpool and Leeds winning things, the biggest the clams in the game.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...remier-league-team-according-to-data-20190826

View attachment 10195

So scoring 5pts for 1st rivals, 4pts for 2nd rivals, 3pts for 3rd etc... we’re as hated as Chelsea by opposition fans, albeit amongst the clubs in last season’s Rivalry League...
  1. Man Utd: 30pts
  2. Liverpool: 24pts
  3. Chelsea: 22pts
  4. Spurs: 22pts
  5. ARSEnal: 11pts
  6. Emirates Marketing Project: 10pts
That's a really interesting table, Norwich's hate list is very cute and a little odd. Love how we're 3rd on City's, shows how far we've progressed/progressing

So we have three teams who consider us their main rivals, Man U, Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool have two (Man U are City's main rivals, not Liverpool), Arsenal has one, and poor old Chelsea have none (well one if you include QPR).
Actually, Man U will have three including Leeds.

Some of those, there is no logic to, its teams that were rarely in the same division, let alone rivals for titles/promotion.

They just seem to have picked the next nearest team geographically.

See that they’re polling fans again this season

Here are the Top 5 rivalries according to fans of Fulham, Leeds and WBA...

View attachment 10200 View attachment 10201 View attachment 10202

So replacing the tallies for Watford, Norwich plus Bournemouth with these gives us a current season hatred leaderboard of:
  1. Man Utd: 35pts
  2. Chelsea 30pts
  3. Liverpool: 24pts
  4. Spurs: 20pts
  5. ARSEnal: 11pts
  6. Emirates Marketing Project: 10pts

Got some time on your hands? :p

I don’t understand the negativity to United, their period of dominance saw them being a bulwark against Liverpool and Leeds winning things, the biggest the clams in the game.

Because they’re successful and used to win everything. And their fans aren’t exactly gracious in success “were man United, we do what we want”. But I do agree with them being the lesser evil. They stopped Arsenal winning even more titles which I was delighted with.

Some of those, there is no logic to, its teams that were rarely in the same division, let alone rivals for titles/promotion.

They just seem to have picked the next nearest team geographically.

Bit like this forum’s dislike for Liverpool above all else :D they are only 4th in Spurs fans most disliked teams. What’s that about Baleforce? And we’re not in Liverpool’s top 5 either.

West Ham must be gutted we don’t view them as our number 1 rival.

WBA would probably be in my top 5. Horrible side to play against. Don’t mind their fans but I really don’t like their style of play. They always have giant 6 foot 7 CB’s with a maximum of one flair player in their team.

Apart from games against our established rivals in the top 6 ( Liverpool, the Manks, Arsenal and Chelsea) , we also have hotly contested matches against Wet Spam ( who see us as their cup final) , Leicester ( who have taken against us since their PL win), Southampton ( who still haven't forgiven us for nicking Poch, Toby, Wanyama and PEH) and further local London derbies against Crystal Palace and Fulham.

Does any other club have as many " enemies" ?

Glad you've raised this as i've said this 1000x times myself to friends.

No one has as many rivals as Spurs which actually is hugely detrimental to us as a club.

West Ham's biggest rivals: Spurs
Chelsea's biggest rivals: Spurs
Arsenal's biggest rivals: Spurs

i don't really count teams like Fulham and Palace or even Southampton anymore, there's not really a meaningful rivalry there. But the 3 main London clubs above, it's the old "what's the first fixture you look for when the calendar comes out", and for all 3 of those based on all the fans i know supporting those clubs, it's Tottenham.

West Ham roll over for Arsenal out of a mutual admiration of dislike of Spurs, Chelsea v West Ham is big because both fans try to decide who's got the bigger dingdongheads, but Chelsea v Arsenal doesn't have an underlying hatred like we do with all 3.

No team in the league has 3 rival teams gunning for them like we do. So definitely detrimental in my eyes.

Bit like this forum’s dislike for Liverpool above all else :D they are only 4th in Spurs fans most disliked teams. What’s that about Baleforce? And we’re not in Liverpool’s top 5 either.

West Ham must be gutted we don’t view them as our number 1 rival.

WBA would probably be in my top 5. Horrible side to play against. Don’t mind their fans but I really don’t like their style of play. They always have giant 6 foot 7 CB’s with a maximum of one flair player in their team.

There is logic to hating someone if they are a clam.

Hating the guy next door, just because he's next door, is odd, you live in the same area, you have shared experiences, go to the same pubs and shops, know the same people, there are existing bridges for a relationship.

There is logic to hating someone if they are a clam.

Hating the guy next door, just because he's next door, is odd, you live in the same area, you have shared experiences, go to the same pubs and shops, know the same people, there are existing bridges for a relationship.
Maybe it stems from the fact that most seasons a lot of teams have little to play for except bragging rights? And in the old days when we could actually got to the pub and work there’d be more interaction with local rival fans?
Maybe older posters can correct me but when I was a kid I’m sure there used to be a less tribal attitude, like hoping english teams do well in Europe, preferring all London clubs over others but that may be because my dad had no real interest and growing up in the 80s in the Keynes my nearest teams were Northampton and Luton!)

Back