• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Investing

Richie

Naybet
Any of you guys have any knowledge about investing? I've got a bit of cash around and with the pathetic bank interest rates I'm somewhat keen to get involved. Any broker recommendations?

Also I'm first of all looking to get in to gold, with QE in the USA, Japan and possibly more here before the end of the year it seems a good bet to keep rising and hedge against inevitable inflation. Weighing up my options between physical gold or ETFs, both have their drawbacks. Alternatively looking at BullionVault as they have lower cost than ETFs and avoid the hassle of storing physical gold.

Any of you guys have any knowledge about investing? I've got a bit of cash around and with the pathetic bank interest rates I'm somewhat keen to get involved. Any broker recommendations?

Also I'm first of all looking to get in to gold, with QE in the USA, Japan and possibly more here before the end of the year it seems a good bet to keep rising and hedge against inevitable inflation. Weighing up my options between physical gold or ETFs, both have their drawbacks. Alternatively looking at BullionVault as they have lower cost than ETFs and avoid the hassle of storing physical gold.

Gold is volatile and a lot of people get emotionally attached to it. It doesn't pay interest and it is moot how useful it is in a genuine crisis. Always worth holding onto a few coins but only for a fraction of your total savings.

My gut feeling is that the US has done the hard work letting their housing bubble deflate and are well placed to push on and take on the Chinese.

However there is still a undigestable amount of debt out there but it isn't evenly distributed. Some businesses are sat on a stockpile of cash with no confidence in the markets till the debt issues are properly disclosed and managed.

My gut feeling is that the US has done the hard work letting their housing bubble deflate and are well placed to push on and take on the Chinese.

I'd say your gut is wrong chap.

My friend from the USA who is a former maths professor told me this a couple of days ago;

"In the past four years, the national debt has risen from $10,000,000,000,000 to $16,000,000,000,000. That is a %60 increase in just four years"

In time they will collapse IMO.

The only way governments are servicing thier debts is by printing money and rocketing inflation, hence the rocketing gold price. I'm surprised you've called gold volatile, its been on a fairly consistant upward trend since the big bust. I suppose I will be gambling on it increasing in price and if I'm unlucky ill be getting in as the bull market is ending, but I don't think that's the case at the moment

I remember someone on her is/was a jeweler, but can't remember thier name. Would appreciate thier opinion.

The only way governments are servicing thier debts is by printing money and rocketing inflation, hence the rocketing gold price. I'm surprised you've called gold volatile, its been on a fairly consistant upward trend since the big bust. I suppose I will be gambling on it increasing in price and if I'm unlucky ill be getting in as the bull market is ending, but I don't think that's the case at the moment

I remember someone on her is/was a jeweler, but can't remember thier name. Would appreciate thier opinion.

Agree with you. Volatile my arse

au3650nys.gif

It's going to keep climbing with mass QE all over the world

There are dark forces at work keeping it from rocketing at the moment

Personally I'm investing heavily in Mining companies at the moment (including Gold and Silver)

If you don't want to pick your own equities, then put your money in Fundsmith

Terry Smith is a VERY smart and interesting man

https://www.fundsmith.co.uk/Home.aspx

http://www.terrysmithblog.com/straight-talking/

It isn't an investment though, rather the opposite.

Surely it is better to support a viable and growing business than an outmoded means of exchange?

QE in itself was unpleasant enough but it hasn't resulted in high inflation by any chalk.

Surely it is better to support a viable and growing business than an outmoded means of exchange?

QE in itself was unpleasant enough but it hasn't resulted in high inflation by any chalk.

Depends how you measure / report it!

The figures are absolute flimflam IMO

You make a good point and I obviously won't solely invest in gold but I'm going to use it as a starting point. With Bernake announcing unlimited QE in the States which will likely be over $1tn, Gold could hit $2500/oz next year, at least thats what I'm hoping for. Gold will always have value so it is low risk compared to equities.

Southstand, which broker do you use and how did you choose which mining companies to invest in? Im thinking of dipping my toe in the equity market but don't really know where to start.

What happened to that thread where someone dummily invested £1,000 and was going to guarantee 10% return or something. Think Leeds laid down the challenge.

Increase / Decrease since 30th June:

Barclays (166.05 > 222.03) (£996.30) +33.72%
RBS (210.98 > 265.30) (£632.94) +25.75%
Xstrata (809.69 > 1049) (£809.69) +29.56%
Petropav (455.60 < 437.90) (£1139) -3.88%
Man Group (75.21 > 88.60) (£765.10) +14.82%
Gulf Keystone (151.41 > 233.75) (£757.05) +54.38%

Not bad

Last edited:
What made you choose those companies? Financial sector is surely somewhat of a gamble

Banks are undervalued and Mining shares are down around 40% over the last few years

I prefer to invest in companies where I believe there could be a large capital growth in the short term

I went for Man group as they were kicked out of the FTSE 100 (and therefore all the pension companies jump ship and the price tumbles)

We can see the prices with our own eyes and there is no need to rely on published data which is susceptible to epic fudging.

Everything I spend significant cash on is massively more expensive

Gas, Electricity, Petrol, Beer, Fags, Food, Cocaine, Beer

Inflation feels more like 20% to me

Okay fair play but it is a mania and you can go back farther than browns bottom to see the wax and wane.

I thought we had reached a new age of financial rationality but the gold market suggests otherwise.

Back